The Student Room Group

Anyone have any 2013 UCAS regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midnight1811
From reading this thread I've noticed that a lot of people have applied for unis but the 'low grade' ones. I'm going to start year 12 in September and id just like to know whether or not I can apply for multiple universities for optometry ? So say Manchester; Bradford; Aston etc...

LSE and UCL are low grade? O.o
should have applied for history.
got an A and a C in my AS modules, resat the C with no extra work and got 100%
but due to the B, applied for hsps at cambridge- where they go on As module scores,
instead of history at oxford which look at gcses (i have 11 A*s)
cambridge pooled, then rejected me, saying i was worthy of a place, but wasn't interested enough in politics.
they were right.

have offers for ucl and durham, but neither for straight history.
wish i'd been confident in knowing that i loved history and that my AS mark was just a fluke.
Reply 122
I have some UCAS regrets too. Any of you heard about transferring from one university to the other? Let's say from Queen Mary to UCL or LSE? Is it even possible or would I have to apply once again for the first year in 2014?
Argh... Regret applying for all 4 of my medicine universities since they all rejected me pre interview... UKCAT thresholds jumped up crazily for two of them, was stupid of me to apply to the others ;_;

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
I'm going for Law, and I wish I hadn't applied to both Cambridge and LSE. I've always hated LSE but everyone was saying how great it was so I just put it, and then I got rejected, which I knew would happen.
And with Cambridge, I've loved Sidney Sussex college since I was about 12, then the NIGHT before I sent off my UCAS I had a brain malfunction and for some unknown reason changed it to Pembroke, which is one of the highest ranked and most competitive for Law, so still fuming about that. (Got rejected post-interview)
I love my other 3 choices but I wish I'd applied to UCL or something instead of LSE, since I did really well in my LNAT and probably could have gotten in, and then I would have had more choices.
Wish I hadn't applied to Newcastle a100, already knew I wouldn't want to work at Carlisle (I already live in Cumbria) and the fact that they select for interview by just UKCAT means that other unis like you from your personal statement before you get there but they might not...
Applying to UCL because now I have an offer I'm stressed out about whether to go there or not!
Reply 127
I applied for Law. Massively regret applying to LSE. I disliked the place on the open day, knew my personal statement wouldn't appeal to them in the least and that I probably would have firmed King's or UCL over it. Regret falling prey to prestige on that one :frown: If I could do it again, I would have swapped it for Durham.

Also, I wish I hadn't applied for St. John's, Oxford. I fell in love with Wadham on the open day, loved its ethos and the people there seemed quite nice, but at the last minute I changed it to St. John's (while the reason I gave others was the fact that it would reimburse travel for 'academic' purposes, and the college was super duper pretty, I think subconsciously it was because the Law tutor there was incredibly fit :frown: ). When I turned up for interview, I instantly knew I'd made the wrong choice, and the week I spent there was possibly the worst of my life. Nothing wrong with the college itself, the people were nice, the grounds were gorgeous etc. but I felt like I wouldn't fit in, and the atmosphere was pretty daunting. I got rejected post-interview after being pooled, and getting feedback saying "all parts of your application were in the 'very good' or 'excellent' category but you just weren't strong enough".

But possibly my biggest regret is not exploring the option of doing languages at university. When I came back from Spain in June 2012 I had a massive longing to apply for Spanish & Arabic at university, which I quickly quashed because Law was the more 'practical option'.

I'm still a wee bit devastated over Oxford :frown: I have offers from King's and Warwick for Law, and UCL for Law with Hispanic Law (a course and uni that seem really, really lovely) but I'm still torn as to whether I should reapply or not. I also really regret not looking at Cambridge because I thought I'd get crap AS levels, when I ended up getting 85%, 87%, 94% and 92% :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
I regret not applying to Cambridge. I was predicted 4 A*s this year and applied to unis which didn't value grades whatsoever. Throughout my teenage years I was a abit of a waster so I think I've grown up with this idea that I was never good enough to be able reach a high level. Goes to show that no matter who you are, you can achieve anything with hard work and motivation.
Original post by Cazza180
Bit of a random one.

I am doing English, and whilst I have 5 offers from good unis, I reaaaally regret not applying to Bristol because people told me I wasn't good enough :frown:

It really was one of my favourites, and maybe I wouldn't have got in, but I wish I has tried rather than just settling for unis that weren't as good for me.

Anyone else regret anything they did/didnt do?

If you do better than you thought you would, you may be able to apply to a higher grade course through adjustment when you get your grades; you may be able to get a place at Bristol that way.
Reply 130
I wish I had applied to the same course, but with a Study Abroad year.. *sigh* Hopefully there will be a way for me to arrange the exchange even if I get accepted to the original course.
I now don't want to do the course i applied for, so am going to withdraw my application and reapply during my gap year with my final A2 results. I don't really mind though, as wanted to take a gap year anyway :smile:
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
I now don't want to do the course i applied for, so am going to withdraw my application and reapply during my gap year with my final A2 results. I don't really mind though, as wanted to take a gap year anyway :smile:

I changed my mind about my course too, but I'm already delayed and year behind so I'll go anyway and just pray they let me change. :frown:
For UCAS 2013 I have no regrets at all. I applied to 3 AAA universities of which I wanted to go to two of them, and applied to two AAB universities which would act as an insurance. Results: Out of the two AAA universities which I really wanted to go to, I got one conditional offer and one rejection. Out of the two AAB insurance universities, I got an unconditional (already done A levels).

I really regret my UCAS 2012 choices though. I wanted to apply to a subject where I thought my grades for the universities I wanted to apply to didn't give me a chance- so I didn't apply at all. However if I applied to a different subject (which I applied to in UCAS 2013) which I equally like now and can lead to similar career prospects back then, I could have maybe got offers from both of the two AAA universities which I really wanted to go to. I'm a happy chappy atm though.
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~

Just make sure your A2 results are actually on par or better than your predictions! :smile:
Not really, I wanted to go to all five of my choices. I wish my teachers would've predicted me higher - predicted BBB despite performing at AAB - but I wouldn't have changed where I applied to anyway, so it just meant getting a rejection from two of the unis. Luckily my top choice offered me a place for AAB despite my predictions :smile:
Original post by das_garry
Not really, I wanted to go to all five of my choices. I wish my teachers would've predicted me higher - predicted BBB despite performing at AAB - but I wouldn't have changed where I applied to anyway, so it just meant getting a rejection from two of the unis. Luckily my top choice offered me a place for AAB despite my predictions :smile:

Sorry for being a bit of noob, but I've got a question regarding college predictions. Say if doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths at AS level and my gcse grades are B's does that mean my predictions will be B's. Are these predictions the ones which decide what I do at university in terms of choices
Original post by Midnight1811
Sorry for being a bit of noob, but I've got a question regarding college predictions. Say if doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths at AS level and my gcse grades are B's does that mean my predictions will be B's. Are these predictions the ones which decide what I do at university in terms of choices

The predictions for universities are judged off of AS results, at least at my school. They were made - in my case - by my subject teachers, who I didn't have at GCSE in some subjects.

I got an MPG and target grade based on my GCSEs at the beginning of Year 12, but they're different to my prediction of BBB.

And don't worry, it's not a stupid question! :smile:
I applied to study Veterinary Medicine despite not having any work experience or chance of getting in because teachers and friends etc told me it would be a good idea to try out the system, have a trial run etc even though I wouldn't get in. Turns out you can only apply to vet med twice, which leaves me only one application left rather than two - I've completely wasted a chance!
I need to try and find out if there is any way of voiding my useless UCAS application. I don't know whether withdrawing it would work or whether I'd need to contact UCAS or the universities or what. Upset, irritated and confused really. :frown:
Applying for a university to use as an insurance knowing fully well if I ended up going there I would drop out because I hated it when I visited. I guess it is just more motivatin to get my firm now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending