The Student Room Group

Who's more picky, boys or girls?

In light of the recent threads on "5 things you look for in a guy/girl" and, to a lesser extent, the "girls, you expect a lot" thread, I thought it might be interesting to see who people think are more choosy, boys are girls?

Typically, and maybe almost in immediate effect to asking this question, some may be tempted to say girls are more choosy. However, having read those threads, I found that girls tended to generally repeat similar sort of characteristics in their list, whereas with the boys, it was more varied. Is that an indication that boys are more picky or expect more?

Then again, there are threads about how girls often come across a nice guy, who seems ideal in most ways, but they have no feelings towards him. (I'm referring to the "he is perfect, why don't I like him?")

In my mind, guys are far less choosy to begin with, i.e. they would happily go out with a girl of average looks and personality. However, in terms of a long-term girlfriend, I reckon we guys are far more specific and selective, only getting into an exclusive relationship with a girl we see as long-term/life prospects. This could be why many females ask "why has the guy lost interest?"

Girls, on the other hand, seem to go through this selective sorting procedure at the very beginning, i.e. they would typically only go out with a guy who they actually think would be a long-term prospect, rather than chancing their arm with someone not typically their type to see what happens. Hence, girls are perhaps more choosy to begin with.

Thoughts? Feel free to discuss!

Scroll to see replies

I think you answered your own question very nicely tbh :smile:

Id say it can vary within the genders, but I was thinking along the same lines as you in the op!
Even suggesting that "girls are more picky" or "boys are more picky" is ridiculous. Gender doesn't affect how picky you are.
Reply 3
Original post by superduper9

Then again, there are threads about how girls often come across a nice guy, who seems ideal in most ways, but they have no feelings towards him. (I'm referring to the "he is perfect, why don't I like him?")

Bang and the dirt is gone! Answered your own question. Girls are far more picky. Anybody who claims somebody is perfect, but yet doesn't like them, is picky.
Reply 4
People are picky according to their options, whether they are men or women.

Men who do well with women will often refuse to be monogamous until they found the one woman they want to be with - someone who's very beautiful, feminine, kind, elegant and so on. I know men who want a woman to keep a clean and lovely home and being able to cook while I know other men who would never ask for that. If you CAN be with someone who's got everything you're looking for, you wouldn't shack up with someone else. It's like having an MBA and therefore not applying for the till at Tesco - it's just common sense. Obviously people's requirements for the perfect person vary - some like introverted, some like extroverted, some like energetic and some like calm. However people's taste are similar enough that some women are popular with a lot of men and some men are popular with a lot of women, which is why we ca use terms such as "league".
The exception to this are those with low self esteem who think they don't deserve to be with someone treats them well. I know a couple of girls like this.
The only difference between men and women in this aspect, is that down to a certain level, women aren't likely to sleep with just anyone, whereas a lot of men will sleep with women below their league if they experience lack of sex. That's usually related to casual sex, not relationships, although some men can't get casual sex and therefore enter relationship to get regular sex.

But on the whole, people's requirements will be directly proportionate to what they can get. Some women are more inclined to have serial relationships because they don't want to be alone, whereas some hold out for the perfect one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by superduper9
In light of the recent threads on "5 things you look for in a guy/girl" and, to a lesser extent, the "girls, you expect a lot" thread, I thought it might be interesting to see who people think are more choosy, boys are girls?

Typically, and maybe almost in immediate effect to asking this question, some may be tempted to say girls are more choosy. However, having read those threads, I found that girls tended to generally repeat similar sort of characteristics in their list, whereas with the boys, it was more varied. Is that an indication that boys are more picky or expect more?

In my mind, guys are far less choosy to begin with, i.e. they would happily go out with a girl of average looks and personality. However, in terms of a long-term girlfriend, I reckon we guys are far more specific and selective, only getting into an exclusive relationship with a girl we see as long-term/life prospects. This could be why many females ask "why has the guy lost interest?"

Girls, on the other hand, seem to go through this selective sorting procedure at the very beginning, i.e. they would typically only go out with a guy who they actually think would be a long-term prospect, rather than chancing their arm with someone not typically their type to see what happens. Hence, girls are perhaps more choosy to begin with.

Thoughts? Feel free to discuss!

I agree with that.

When it comes to sex girls are far more selective however when it comes to a long term relationship men become extremely selective and willing to cheat if such standards are not met. One example of this is the "I have a problem with my girlfriends promiscuity" thread as men don't typically view 'sluts' as long term partners.
girls are more picky for hook ups, guys are more fussy for relationships.
Reply 7
I don't personally see the point in going for a person who is miles more unattractive than you. If that's picky then I am picky, I guess.
Reply 8
I really think anyone who wants to have some clarification on sex and relationships and why certain men and women behave in certain ways should read the book Sperm Wars. The world is a much simpler place than most folks realise.

Although it should hardly be surprising that women are more picky than men.
Biology dictates girls are.
Original post by Id and Ego seek

Not really..... For ons? Undoubtedly, but for a relationship, guys do tend to be fussy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Id and Ego seek

Explain? Surely if that was the case then ugly people would have been extinct?
I'd say I'm pretty picky for a guy. I've had plenty of interest over the past few years but I can count on one hand the amount of women I've taken a liking to, even then, only a couple I would actually consider a relationship with.
Boys are way more picky than girls.
Original post by Maid Marian

:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Personally if a guy asks me out (not like that happens often :P) if I don't think it will last I won't go out with them. I just feel as though it avoids leading the other person on. This is only if I actually already know them though, if it was someone who I didn't know too well I would get to know them a bit more and then decide.

At the end of the day though the majority of people are quite choosy, but a lot of people don't like to admit that :smile:
Boys are for sure. Boys aren't that fussy when it comes to like ONS and FB but in terms of relationships I would say boys are.
Original post by Maid Marian

Haha. You're funny.

Seems like everyone's just repeating the OP's hypothesis that guys have a more 'give her a chance approach' whereas girls seem to know straight away whether a guy is relationship material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a few niggles with this thread, there are some things I'd like to see put right.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I have a few niggles with this thread, there are some things I'd like to see put right.

Like what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending