The Student Room Group

How much does extra curricular matter?

Hiya, my curiosity just wonders me because i'm thinking of applying to university soon but after reading some sample statements on the site as well as realizing a few of my friends do curricular stuff like Helping at a local school, DofE and a mass of impressive work experience.

I pretty much have zilt of these ): but i was wondering how far does a glossy statement full of extra curricular go to into getting a sucessful application? I'm hoping to study an economics course at a university 'ranked' 10-40 with hopefully AS grades AAA.
Original post by Jkizer
Hiya, my curiosity just wonders me because i'm thinking of applying to university soon but after reading some sample statements on the site as well as realizing a few of my friends do curricular stuff like Helping at a local school, DofE and a mass of impressive work experience.

I pretty much have zilt of these ): but i was wondering how far does a glossy statement full of extra curricular go to into getting a sucessful application? I'm hoping to study an economics course at a university 'ranked' 10-40 with hopefully AS grades AAA.

Depends on the University, but usually it doesn't hold much importance (unless related to the subject).
I think it really depends on your subject and university. EC's are a lot more important to US universities than they are to UK universities. Most RG universities apart from maybe Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and ICL won't look too much in to your EC's. As long as you have a few EC's related to your subject than you'll probably be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer

In America, extracurriculars are of great importance, but it is my understanding that in the United Kingdom, that they go much more by standardized test scores.
It depends on the course and uni you are applying to.
If you where applying to top unis (for example oxbridge) or if you where applying for something competitive (for example medicine then it would be important.
Whatever you are applying for though, some extra curricular stuff wouldnt hurt. If the unis where choosing between you and someone else, and you had the same grades, then they might look then at extra curricular stuff.
Extra curricular activities helped my application a lot. I had working experience from an Apprenticeship on my 'gap year' to add to it. Especially if it's relative to what you're doing/aim to be doing.
The thing with ECs is to have relevant ones - DofE is fairly irrelevant because it doesn't really demonstrate skills that make a good student, although if you did it to Gold level they would still be impressed. Equally, what sports you play is not necessary to put in, unless you are a very high standard and it is very much part of who you are as a person. Put yourself in the mind of the admissions tutors - they want to know if you will be a good student. Show them you are interested and willing to go the extra mile in your studies.
Reply 7
Im such a boring plain dude who just sits at home doing whack all D: Looks like im gonna have to spend my summer reading a lot of books if i even stand a chanceee D:
I believe EC's can be an important part of an application, especially if you're going to be applying for a competitive subject.

I applied for Law - very competitive. And found that those who don't have many EC's didn't get places in the better universities. Someone I work with is going to do Economics in September... but could only get in to London Met as the others he applied to rejected him based on his EC's, and PS.

They aren't just useful for getting in to university, but for after too.
(edited 11 years ago)
If its related to your course its very important self teaching and learning new skills outside of your school will show interest, commitment and ability to learn such things as:

1 learning to code for websites or programs for computer science degrees.
2 of course volunteering at hospitals or care homes for any medical related degree.
3 considered brewing alcohol to learn about fermentation for chemical or bioscience degrees.
4 breed fish or cats for erm some other degrees.. genetics?marine biology/vet

5 visiting places of interest purely to learn more about your chosen subject is a very good one for example museums history/science/art tours of winerys, brewerys, farms, factorys, labs
6 yes you can even watch and write about tv programs and documentaries.
7 short extra courses at adult colleges.

8 learning a language outside of school in my opinion is the best as it looks good for applying to any choice of degree.

DofE sorry but its borderline useless I didnt do it friends did it I joined the CCF cadets but I wouldn't even think about writing that on my personal statement like clutching at straws for something to fill the space.
and now I will contradict myself and say actually anything is useful as long as you word it correctly who cares that you did DofE.. but what did you actually learn from it? what skill did you develop? how will this help career or degree. if it doesnt help however dont write it waste of space and its not very unique.
Reply 10
Original post by Knalchemist
I believe EC's can be an important part of an application, especially if you're going to be applying for a competitive subject.

I applied for Law - very competitive. And found that those who don't have many EC's didn't get places in the better universities. Someone I work with is going to do Economics in September... but could only get in to London Met as the others he applied to rejected him based on his EC's, and PS.

They aren't just useful for getting in to university, but for after too.

Ahhh i see, but if i were able to get the best grades i could of AAA plus write up a good personal statement, any possibility to fill up the gap made by the lack of extra curricular?

Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
If its related to your course its very important self teaching and learning new skills outside of your school will show interest, commitment and ability to learn such things as:

1 learning to code for websites or programs for computer science degrees.
2 of course volunteering at hospitals or care homes for any medical related degree.
3 considered brewing alcohol to learn about fermentation for chemical or bioscience degrees.
4 breed fish or cats for erm some other degrees.. genetics?marine biology/vet

5 visiting places of interest purely to learn more about your chosen subject is a very good one for example museums history/science/art tours of winerys, brewerys, farms, factorys, labs
6 yes you can even watch and write about tv programs and documentaries.
7 short extra courses at adult colleges.

8 learning a language outside of school in my opinion is the best as it looks good for applying to any choice of degree.

DofE sorry but its borderline useless I didnt do it friends did it I joined the CCF cadets but I wouldn't even think about writing that on my personal statement like clutching at straws for something to fill the space.
and now I will contradict myself and say actually anything is useful as long as you word it correctly who cares that you did DofE.. but what did you actually learn from it? what skill did you develop? how will this help career or degree. if it doesnt help however dont write it waste of space and its not very unique.

Do you really think that simply watching lets say Harvard Lectures on economics will be significant to put down in my personal statement? I just found out my teacher uploaded some on our network and it seems quite an interesting way of learning more of the topic!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer

Do you really think that simply watching lets say Harvard Lectures on economics will be significant to put down in my personal statement? I just found out my teacher uploaded some on our network and it seems quite an interesting way of learning more of the topic!

a short simple sentence mention you watched it and what you learnt from it
its all evidence that adds together to show your really interested in the subject
make sure you really do watch and learn from it be prepared to talk about it in an interview.
and it goes without saying that its not as good as actually going to a lecture which is possible at many universities.

I named 3 series of documentaries I watched
Reply 12
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
a short simple sentence mention you watched it and what you learnt from it
its all evidence that adds together to show your really interested in the subject
make sure you really do watch and learn from it be prepared to talk about it in an interview.
and it goes without saying that its not as good as actually going to a lecture which is possible at many universities.

I named 3 series of documentaries I watched

Ahh ok cool, problem with live lectures for me I guess is the time away from the nearest train station and tight money issue :frown: but the documentaries idea also sounds pretty good to me :biggrin:
Just wondering in your interview, how much did you talk about on your personal statement referred items ? Y

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Ahh ok cool, problem with live lectures for me I guess is the time away from the nearest train station and tight money issue :frown: but the documentaries idea also sounds pretty good to me :biggrin:
Just wondering in your interview, how much did you talk about on your personal statement referred items ? Y

Thanks for your help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

my interviewer did not read my statement.

but I don't think that's normal practice
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Jkizer

I did pretty much nothing. Played football outside school but nothing like DofE, and I got into decent universities. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Reply 15
Most universities, particularly top ones, don't really care a whole lot. Universities that are admitting people with bad grades will care a lot more. Unless the activity is relevant to the degree, it's not very important at all.
Original post by Jkizer

For medicine, it's vital. You need to use the EC's and work experience to demonstrate qualities that they will look for (communication, leadership, empathy, responsibility, curiosity, etc).

For other courses, my general advice would be check the websites of a few uni's you are interested in, identify qualities that they are looking for (implicit and explicit) and then audit your current EC's and see if you have any weaknesses or gaps.
Reply 17
Original post by Pastaferian
For medicine, it's vital. You need to use the EC's and work experience to demonstrate qualities that they will look for (communication, leadership, empathy, responsibility, curiosity, etc).

For other courses, my general advice would be check the websites of a few uni's you are interested in, identify qualities that they are looking for (implicit and explicit) and then audit your current EC's and see if you have any weaknesses or gaps.

For a social science degree route such as economics, history geography etc what qualities should you try mention? Since there are hundreds and I'm sure you don't want to bore the reader too much !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
For a social science degree route such as economics, history geography etc what qualities should you try mention? Since there are hundreds and I'm sure you don't want to bore the reader too much!

I've never considered such courses, so I can't give you an informed answer, sorry. My previous answer (check a few university websites which present courses you are interested in) is the best advice I can offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending