The Student Room Group

Should I tell them about uni or lie?

Hi,

I've just been told I have an interview for a part time job at Asda (glamorous, I know!). I'm in my second year of uni but I don't have exams so I can stay at home now until mid-September. The job is at home (I go to a uni 3 hours away). My problem is I think if I tell them where I go to uni they won't hire me because they know I won't be able to work after September.

I really need a job - I want to work a lot over summer so that I don't have financial pressure on me to get a job over third year because I want to devote all my time next year to studying and doing my dissertation.

I was thinking I could tell them I go to uni but live at home and commute or do distance learning so then I can work for 5 months and save up. But I would feel bad quitting and leaving them in the lurch when I return to uni.

I've applied for several jobs and this is the only one I've heard back from so don't want to let it go really..

any advice?
Reply 1
Don't tell them. Leave in September or get a transfer to a closer store.

:awesome:
Reply 2
Original post by sabian92
Don't tell them. Leave in September or get a transfer to a closer store.

:awesome:

I am learning towards doing this. Because they're a big retailer and they will have plenty of people a) already working for them and b) willing to work for them. And because it's such a big store they won't really care about an individual. It's just the principle that bothers me.

also - I realise I may not even get the job after this interview, I just want to be prepared for when they ask me about uni.
Reply 3
I'm in a similar situation- I've told a company I'd be able to work for them for a year but then got a last-minute offer. I'd still really like the job over the summer but I'd have to quit after a few months and I'd feel really bad.

But as so many people are desperate for jobs and Asda's a massive chain store they wouldn't have any problem replacing you so I'd say just keep quiet and go for it. And congrats on getting the job!
Reply 4
I also wouldn't tell them. What if you told them, they didn't hire you and the person they did hire left mid-September anyway? You won't be leaving them in the lurch, they'll have loads of applications and people's CVs they've kept on file.
Reply 5
Original post by steelmagnolia
I am learning towards doing this. Because they're a big retailer and they will have plenty of people a) already working for them and b) willing to work for them. And because it's such a big store they won't really care about an individual. It's just the principle that bothers me.

also - I realise I may not even get the job after this interview, I just want to be prepared for when they ask me about uni.

I know a guy who does 1 shift a week at my local ASDA because he's in uni. They have no issue with it but he was offered a transfer but declined. There's no problem and they'll get somebody to replace you if you do leave.
Reply 6
Original post by elise31
I'm in a similar situation- I've told a company I'd be able to work for them for a year but then got a last-minute offer. I'd still really like the job over the summer but I'd have to quit after a few months and I'd feel really bad.

But as so many people are desperate for jobs and Asda's a massive chain store they wouldn't have any problem replacing you so I'd say just keep quiet and go for it. And congrats on getting the job!

I don't actually have the job yet! I have a two-hour interview which is an interview for one part and then being on the shop floor and doing team-building exercises for the other part. I just need to get straight what I tell them about uni. Thanks for the reply :smile:

Original post by rachel.h
I also wouldn't tell them. What if you told them, they didn't hire you and the person they did hire left mid-September anyway? You won't be leaving them in the lurch, they'll have loads of applications and people's CVs they've kept on file.

Thanks for your advice :smile: Yes that's true. I mean for one job there's 4 slots for the interviews and I'm assuming there'll be over 10 people in each slot because it involves team-building exercises.

Original post by sabian92
I know a guy who does 1 shift a week at my local ASDA because he's in uni. They have no issue with it but he was offered a transfer but declined. There's no problem and they'll get somebody to replace you if you do leave.

If I got the job I suppose I could always ask whether they could keep me on a zero-hour contract so I can work over the xmas hols when they'd need more help and stuff. But yeah, thanks for your help.

I think I'm going to tell them which uni I go to, but say I'm doing distance learning this year to save on living costs and to be able to get a job in the town I'll be living in for the next four years (because I'm planning on doing postgrad study at home).
Hi,

I've applied for several jobs and this is the only one I've heard back from so don't want to let it go really..

any advice?

- If they don't know about university from your application. You don't need to tell them. In fact it's probably best you don't as they will know that you might just leave.

- But if you have told them then expect them to be aware of it, don't necessarily bring it up, but if they ask assure them that you are available full-time until September and part-time after.
Reply 8
Original post by FranticMind
- If they don't know about university from your application. You don't need to tell them. In fact it's probably best you don't as they will know that you might just leave.

- But if you have told them then expect them to be aware of it, don't necessarily bring it up, but if they ask assure them that you are available full-time until September and part-time after.

The online application asked for an occupation so I put student so they already know that. Couldn't really get around that really - haven't had a job in over a year so if they ask me what I've been doing in that time I wouldn't have an answer!
Reply 9
Definitely don't mention it if they don't bring it up, i'd be tempted to lie even if they did to be honest. For them it's nothing more a slight hassle that they might try and avoid if they know about it, but if you leave they'll fill your position easily enough. They're probably interviewing people every week.

But maybe you won't have to leave. I have a couple of friends that work at Asda as well as go to university and they just work in the holidays when they're home from uni. Whilst they're away at university they don't work for a couple of months or so at a time and Asda still keeps their jobs for them.
Reply 10
Original post by Cll_ws
Definitely don't mention it if they don't bring it up, i'd be tempted to lie even if they did to be honest. For them it's nothing more a slight hassle that they might try and avoid if they know about it, but if you leave they'll fill your position easily enough. They're probably interviewing people every week.

But maybe you won't have to leave. I have a couple of friends that work at Asda as well as go to university and they just work in the holidays when they're home from uni. Whilst they're away at university they don't work for a couple of months or so at a time and Asda still keeps their jobs for them.

Yeah I mean I'm assuming they will bring it up, seen as 'Student' is my occupation and on my c.v., and they'll probably ask why I chose my subject as a way of getting to know me and how it's relevant to the job (I dunno, been ages since I had an interview lol)

Hopefully they'll keep me on a zero-hour contract or something and I can come home and Christmas temp, but to be honest even if they don't, working as much as I can for 4 months living at home will mean I can save up quite a bit. I'm going to try and start dissertation work over Summer but can do that in my own time around a job so can work full-time hours if they ask that of me.
The online application asked for an occupation so I put student so they already know that. Couldn't really get around that really - haven't had a job in over a year so if they ask me what I've been doing in that time I wouldn't have an answer!

No I was wondering what you would have put :smile: . Then I would be honest, it will relax you, if they try and catch you out then there will be trouble - but make sure they understand that you are available for a long time.

Stick to the positives!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending