The Student Room Group

I cheated on my girlfriend with my male friend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Tell her so she can dump you and find herself a real man.

Was gonna say the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Odds are, she'll inevitably find out. As a foundation of relationships is mutual trust I'd suggest that you tell her. Who knows? She may maintain the relationship but the important thing is that you're no longer weighed down by the burden of guilt.
Honestly in this kind of situations you have 2 choice, tell or don't tell.

If you tell her she will most likely break up with you. cheating is a taboo, and when it's done with someone else you know it's a betrayal and a rejection in one. Some people might say "She was angry at first but we worked it out", but personally I believe the only way one can work such a thing out is if she's not that emotionally invested in your relationship. Some people might find that in itself an advantage or a disadvantage.

If you don't tell her you'll be carrying your own guilt, assuming you do feel guilty beyond knowing that cheating is wrong. If you and your friend can keep quiet and move on, and you make sure to end your relationship the time you don't feel invested anymore without cheating first, then it's a valid option.

Personally I believe that once you've cheated you've crossed the line. I would never trust anyone I found out had ever cheated, not even if it was 20 years ago. The thing is, cheating is less of a betrayal if you don't consider it to be a betrayal from the start. Saying that you know it's wrong and feel terrible for it shows that you have values that you were able to distance yourself from and ignore. That in my opinion, is the worst betrayal. A person who is cold from the start will act accordingly, always. Thus it is easier for an affected individual to pass it off as "He was a bad guy". When the good guys do horrible things, now that's when you might seriously hurt someone.

I'm not judging you OP, no one will gain anything from that. What I've written is just my view on it.
Original post by CJKay
I'm not really sure what sort of opinion I should have on this. :colonhash:

Same here.

I feel bad for OP, though. I hope it all works out for him.
Reply 44
As i've said, I've made my decision and I'm going to keep it to myself. I just want to forget about it and move on with my life. My girlfriend is one of the most important people in my life and I don't want to lose her because of one foolish mistake.
I understand why most of you think I'm a complete and utter d***, but I just feel it's the right thing to do - I feel like I'd just be passing my guilt onto her, and the fallout from me telling her would be awful too.
I'm just hoping that as time goes by this thing will be forgotten and I will move on, which I'm starting to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Just out of interest, why are you so against LDR's?

I'm not against them insofar as I believe that 90% of the time they're not real relationships. They allow people to stay in their comfort zone and not actually have to find a real partner. But I'm not going to tell people what to do, if they think it's best for them then they should go for it.

And cheers for the "analysis", but it's much more simple than that tbh. Yes it was a mistake, I don't want to do anything like that ever again.

Just so I can please your efforts, I'd fall into your final possibility.

If I were to proffer some advice... don't tell her. You'd also be betraying your friend's confidence if you've agreed to tell nobody. But... don't be surprised if five years from now you realise you actually do kinda fancy guys and regret wasting years in hetero relationships. I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but a strong possibility.
Reply 46
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
I'm not against them insofar as I believe that 90% of the time they're not real relationships. They allow people to stay in their comfort zone and not actually have to find a real partner. But I'm not going to tell people what to do, if they think it's best for them then they should go for it.

I must say this is such an odd attitude. LDRs aren't a comfort zone (if anything people finding them very uncomfortable and insecure is a reason for LDRs falling apart), and they don't particularly impress others, often being encountered with cynicism, or as in your case, a disbelief that they are a "proper" relationship. Putting off finding a real partner? Since when do we "have to find a real partner" any way? It's not like being in a "real" relationship something we all must do, but some of us can't face the responsibility so hack it with an LDR! That's a ludicrous sentiment.

LDRs (in my experience) are really as simple as wanting to stay with someone you value, even if you can't be together always or most of the time.

I know you're not trying to offend or generalise, but I think you're confusing your personal experience/preference with a greater understanding of others' relationships and motivations than you can possibly have. It just seems very arrogant and wannabe guru-ish.

Where have you got these ideas anyway? Based on your friends? Based on what? How have you decided that LDRs aren't "real" and what in your opinion has given you this special insight (into others deeply personal lives and feelings)?

Sorry, it's not personal but I just had to call you out because I think you're so, so wrong.
Original post by Pigling

Where have you got these ideas anyway? Based on your friends? Based on what? How have you decided that LDRs aren't "real" and what in your opinion has given you this special insight (into others deeply personal lives and feelings)?

Age and experience. I've never seen a "Long Distance Relationship" become an actual relationship. I have, on the other hand, seen people who are afraid of being single, afraid of having to take responsibility for their life, remain in them and use them as a crutch.

Maybe it's worth distinguishing a "girlfriend/boyfriend" from a partner. LDR and partner are mutually exclusive.
Reply 48
Age and experience. I've never seen a "Long Distance Relationship" become an actual relationship. I have, on the other hand, seen people who are afraid of being single, afraid of having to take responsibility for their life, remain in them and use them as a crutch.

Maybe it's worth distinguishing a "girlfriend/boyfriend" from a partner. LDR and partner are mutually exclusive.

You saying it doesn't make it true. I disagree that the realness of a relationship is determined by physical distance. Does you mother cease to be your mother when you no longer live with her? That is a relationship which endures despite distance. What rule (other than an arbitrary personal one) states that a romantic attachment cannot continue to exist at a distance?

How old are you and what experience have you had? How do you know what other people are afraid of, or is this something you have decided for them, based on your own views?

FTR I have been in an LDR for 4 years. It isn't based on fear. I'm a very laid back person, which is exactly why I have found it easy to be in a relationship at a distance.. and basically also continue to lead my normal life. But it appears you have already judged (by generalisation) without knowing anything about it. A person who does that is likely to make untrue assessments.

EDIT: I think you would learn a lot about your own attitudes by reading on the analytic era in psychiatry and resultant mistakes made. You are far too keen to attribute your own theories of motivation onto others, without objective evidence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pigling
You saying it doesn't make it true. I disagree that the realness of a relationship is determined by physical distance.

And I would disagree with you. A hugely important aspect of a committed relationship is sharing your life with another person, making decisions together, being a couple in the eyes of your peers. In an LDR, the two people are living independent lives.

Does you mother cease to be your mother when you no longer live with her? That is a relationship which endures despite distance.

Your relationship with you family isn't dependent on you sharing a life together. A committed, romantic/parental/coupled partnership is.

What rule (other than an arbitrary personal one) states that a romantic attachment cannot continue to exist at a distance?

I'm not the dictator of relationships, I don't purport to tell people how to live their lives. I'm just saying that conducting a relationship at a distance is just playing at relationships, unless it involves a real, pre-existing relationship and a very clear and limited period of separation for practical reasons. Even then, it's case by case.

For example, my partner has had an opportunity to work overseas, but because I'm still studying in London we've decided to stay here until I qualify, and then reassess. Our lives are intertwined and we choose our future together. This stands in stark contrast to an LDR where the two partners are living two separate lives.

How old are you and what experience have you had?

I'm 26. In terms of experience, I've spent about 3/4s of my adult life in relationships, both committed and not committed (insofar as it was just boyfriend/boyfriend type of deal. It wasn't really sharing a life together, making decisions about career, children, marriage etc. The former, you can certainly conduct at long distance, though I think even that if pretty silly. But the latter cannot).

How do you know what other people are afraid of, or is this something you have decided for them, based on your own views?

This is from the experience of my close friends doing so, particularly as both my partner and I are dual citizens from Australia who live in London, are are many of our friends, and some of them were in LDR's with boyfriends back in Aus. It became apparent fairly quickly that it isn't a real relationship, and that such a relationship should be put on hiatus and reassessed when the two individuals actually have an opportunity to be together.

Chatting online and sexting every night is not a relationship.
Original post by Pigling

FTR I have been in an LDR for 4 years. It isn't based on fear. I'm a very laid back person, which is exactly why I have found it easy to be in a relationship at a distance.. and basically also continue to lead my normal life.

"Continue to lead my normal life" you say. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Your life and your LDR are essentially separate and compartmentalised. Imho that's not what a relationship is or should be.

But I'm curious; how exactly could you be in one for four years? Why haven't you moved in together?
Reply 51
And I would disagree with you. A hugely important aspect of a committed relationship is sharing your life with another person, making decisions together, being a couple in the eyes of your peers. In an LDR, the two people are living independent lives.

That isn't true. With the communication methods currently available, it is very possible for people to share their lives and make shared decisions at a distance. Why wouldn't it be? This is certainly something that I and my partner do.

So now you've decided that what other people think is what makes a relationship "real"? Surely this idea would be one that could also apply to any relationship?

Your relationship with you family isn't dependent on you sharing a life together. A committed, romantic/parental/coupled partnership is.

Isn't every relationship about sharing? If you never speak to someone again, one could argue there is no relationship. My point is that distance isn't the deciding factor in whether a relationship (of any sort) exists, interaction is.

I'm not the dictator of relationships, I don't purport to tell people how to live their lives. I'm just saying that conducting a relationship at a distance is just playing at relationships, unless it involves a real, pre-existing relationship and a very clear and limited period of separation for practical reasons. Even then, it's case by case.

You clearly do think you have some sort of authority/special insight though, to purport such sweeping subjective statements as fact. I might as well tell you that you only drink coffee because you have an emotional problem with tea, and then say "I'm not arrogant and presumptive, I haven't forbidden you from drinking coffee! I've just decided why you drink it, all by myself"

For example, my partner has had an opportunity to work overseas, but because I'm still studying in London we've decided to stay here until I qualify, and then reassess. Our lives are intertwined and we choose our future together. This stands in stark contrast to an LDR where the two partners are living two separate lives.

I don't live a completely separate life from my partner. Nor do people at a close distance live completely intertwined lives. Some separation always exists and is healthy.

I'm 26. In terms of experience, I've spent about 3/4s of my adult life in relationships, both committed and not committed (insofar as it was just boyfriend/boyfriend type of deal. It wasn't really sharing a life together, making decisions about career, children, marriage etc. The former, you can certainly conduct at long distance, though I think even that if pretty silly. But the latter cannot).

But does this experience help you when deciding my motivations, my life, my relationship - or do you think what I have to say might be more what you should base it on?

This is from the experience of my close friends doing so, particularly as both my partner and I are dual citizens from Australia who live in London, are are many of our friends, and some of them were in LDR's with boyfriends back in Aus. It became apparent fairly quickly that it isn't a real relationship, and that such a relationship should be put on hiatus and reassessed when the two individuals actually have an opportunity to be together.

In your opinion.

Chatting online and sexting every night is not a relationship.

In your opinion. What a nasty attempt to patronise. Isn't communication actually pretty staple in a relationship? My chatting with my boyfriend at a distance is pretty similar to how we chat when we're together. Yet, one of those experiences is "real", how odd.

What can I say. I beg to differ. I'm not going to tell you how "real" your relationships are, because I don't presume to know about your personal life. You are of a different persuasion, but I generally think people who presume to know are often wrong.
Reply 52
"Continue to lead my normal life" you say. That's kind of the point, isn't it? Your life and your LDR are essentially separate and compartmentalised. Imho that's not what a relationship is or should be.

But I'm curious; how exactly could you be in one for four years? Why haven't you moved in together?

I am in an LDR during university term time (studying a 5 year course). We see one another on visits, and during holidays, which in actuality probably adds up to close distance around 40% of the year. I guess when we're together the relationship is "real" and when we aren't it is "pretend"(!) Although I've always thought of exclusive monogamous romantic relationships as defined by:

- Exclusive monogamy
- Romantic (mutual affection/love)
- Relationship (any ongoing interaction between human beings)

We haven't moved in together, because we have obligations which are miles apart, which is why we are LDR. We will be living together in around 18 months. A decision we've made together (apparently impossible).

My boyfriend knows of most of my friends and experiences at uni, and has met many of my friends in person. He is a big source of support and guidance about things ongoing at uni as well - because he is my partner. He is probably the single most confided in person in my life and equally shares things about his life with me. Obviously, he isn't here for some things I talk about and visa versa - but is not the same true of a short distance relationship? No couple does all or most waking things together. Everyone leads a compartmentalised life.

If I said I didn't lead a normal independent life, you would be the first to say I'm obviously on emotional crutches and desperate for the validation of a relationship. Yet I can happily say I live for myself in addition to having a fabulous relationship - and that's used to undermine my LDR? If I were short-distance, you'd be praising me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pigling
X

This is a response to both posts; I did read both, and I say upfront that you're a worthy debater and I take much of what you say on board.

Based on what you've said, it does sound like you have a shared life with your partner. From my perspective, what would be the decider of whether it's a committed relationship or not is whether, once you're finished university, you plan to move in together. If not, and it would continue being LDR, then frankly I would be dubious.

If not, if you see each other durings holidays and know each others friends, and your separation is due to specific practical circumstances (like education or career) and is time-limited, then I would certainly say that your relationship bears the hallmarks of being committed, and I take my hat off to you.

Let me put it this way; if you knew of two people who purported to be in an LDR, who lived in different countries, had no plans in the short or medium term to live in the same country and live together, who'd been together for a while through the online medium... what would you make of their "relationship"?
Original post by Janineee
The fact is you got with a guy not a girl, shed never look at you the same and shell ruin your life, shell tell everyone .

wtf. who ruins someone's life just because they bi/ bi curious? grow up and stop giving people bad advice.
Reply 55
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
Tell her so she can dump you and find herself a real man.

Hell yes!! Thats what you must do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
no homo
Original post by Anonymous
Anon because of the whole situation.

This is not a troll.

I've been with my girlfriend for over a year, and I love her to bits. We're currently in an LDR and I'l be seeing her again in a months time.

But last night, me and my friend went out for a few drinks and then went off clubbing. He recently confessed to me that he is bisexual, which I'm fine with. However, last night I felt curious, maybe because of the alcohol I don't know, and we went home, one thing led to another and we had oral sex.

And what a mistake I've made. I feel awful. I'm so ashamed, guilty and I wish that it had never have happened. Me and my friend have agreed it was a one time mistake and will never ever happen again. He also feels awful as he is friends with my girlfriend as well.

I know that I will never do anything like this again. I love my girlfriend so much, but I just feel so guilty. It was a genuine, one time mistake. I know I've done wrong.

But now I just dont know what to do. I'm not sure if i should tell her or keep it to myself. On the one hand if i did tell her it would reduce the guilt, but we would certainly break up - at the end of the day, I cheated on her and it was a terrible thing to do. On the other, I could keep it to myself and hope the guilt will subside as time goes by. I just don't know what to do. I've been crying this whole morning, thinking to myself how stupid I've been.

Please, somebody help me out. I'm a mess.

Sometimes I feel curious when I'm out drinking, I don't start sucking guys off. I think first you need to find yourself, realise whether you are gay or bi-sexual. Then I personally think you should break up with your girlfriend, you cannot hide something like this.
Stop being wet OP.
Reply 59
The most important thing is to tell her - that way you can explain yourself and make clear that you're sorry and it will never happen again. Then it's her decision what to do about it really. If someone else tells her, not only have you cheated but you've lied about it, and there's no chance that the trust can ever come back in that case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending