The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend overweight?

Hey! He's 20, 5'10" and weighs around 15 stone. He plays rugby, cycles and walks a lot so he keeps fit, but is that too much? His belly goes over a little!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natasherrrrr93
Hey! He's 20, 5'10" and weighs around 15 stone. He plays rugby, cycles and walks a lot so he keeps fit, but is that too much? His belly goes over a little!

i dont thinks hes overweight especially with all the exercise he does i think hes propably just the right weight for his height so i dont think theres anything to worry about
i hope ive helped abit
x
How are we supposed to know?! That could all be muscle, it could be fat. Does it matter? Or, more importantly, does it matter to the OP?

We'd (rightly) throw the book at a bloke who came in on here to call his girlfriend fat (in fact we did quite recently) so I think it's only fair to call out the OP here.

If he, or anyone else, is comfortable with their weight then everyone else should back off, including their partners.
If he's healthy (which he sounds like he is because of the exercise he does) does it matter if his BMI technically states he's overweight? BMI is an awful way of determining that anyway, and muscle is heavier than fat.

He sounds fine. His belly is probably just because he eats large portion sizes - am I right? :wink:
Reply 4
Yes cause we are all doctors on here arent we!!
Reply 5
In the truest sense of the word, yes.

In a more useful sense, I imagine that unless he is very muscly he is very likely to be carrying a bit of excess fat, but can't be sure.

He doesn't sound unhealthy though, so i wouldn't worry about his health. His health obviously being your only motive for asking this question. Very nice of you for checking up on him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by desdemonata
BMI is an awful way of determining that anyway, and muscle is heavier than fat.

:wink:

Muslce is denser, not heavier.
Original post by techno-thriller
Muslce is denser, not heavier.

And thus in terms of volume, a muscular person can have smaller measurements than an overweight person, but weigh more.

What I mean is, if you weigh a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean you're overweight because of fat, because you can weigh a lot being healthy and muscular.
And thus in terms of volume, a muscular person can have smaller measurements than an overweight person, but weigh more.

What I mean is, if you weigh a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean you're overweight because of fat, because you can weigh a lot being healthy and muscular.

He knew what you meant, he was just being pedantic :tongue:.
Original post by In One Ear
He knew what you meant, he was just being pedantic :tongue:.

I know :colonhash:
Sounds like he could be. Depends how muscular he is really. Only you/him can say really. Sounds like he's healthy though
I know :colonhash:

Then don't rise to the bait :wink:.
Original post by natasherrrrr93

I'm 5"10 and i'm 9 stone, 15 stone is very overweight.
Original post by chikane
Yes cause we are all doctors on here arent we!!

Right, so people now have to be doctors to say people are overweight, just like you need an English degree to post on a forum.
Reply 14
As a fellow 5'10" male who looked like this at only 12.5 stones: categorically yes.
Reply 15
Original post by Profesh
As a fellow 5'10" male who looked like this at only 12.5 stones: categorically yes.

You don't look 5'10" there, you are the one on that guys knee, right?
Reply 16
Original post by voodoochild
I'm 5"10 and i'm 9 stone, 15 stone is very overweight.

Sounds like you are a bit under weight to be fair.
Reply 17
Original post by McFlury
You don't look 5'10" there, you are the one on that guys knee, right?

Oh, you.
Reply 18
Original post by Profesh
Oh, you.

haha, had to be said. :biggrin:
Original post by Lotus_Eater
How are we supposed to know?! That could all be muscle, it could be fat. Does it matter? Or, more importantly, does it matter to the OP?

We'd (rightly) throw the book at a bloke who came in on here to call his girlfriend fat (in fact we did quite recently) so I think it's only fair to call out the OP here.

If he, or anyone else, is comfortable with their weight then everyone else should back off, including their partners.

I swear to god you talk more sense than anyone else on this site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending