The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lou_100
Is that the relationship you really want with your boyfriend? It doesn't sound like a relationship to me. Sounds like a tragic disaster.

You either tell him you want to sleep with someone else and it goes one of two ways: **** "relationship" which will just get worse until inevitable breakup in future, or you lose him anyway. I think the only way to keep him is to not bring it up, and not think about this other guy again. Your call.

Why? Just because it's not a conventional relationship? I have never had a relationship like this before either, and thought I wouldn't have one. But for mine and my boyfriends situation, it is the best way. I like him. He likes me. I don't personally feel it is natural for us to be in a monogamous relationship at this age.

I think by us being honest, and open and remaining free we are getting the best of both worlds. And yeah, maybe it won't work, we might get jealous and hate each other. Or neither or us will sleep with other people, and hey that worked!

But like I keep saying, not all relationships are the same, doesn't mean it's '****ty'
Original post by Rock Fan
Well to be honest, she just wants to be told what she wants to hear I suspect :s-smilie:

I find that's pretty much the point of 98% of these threads. They just want someone to tell them that they're not a bad person when they know they're being awful. Otherwise, they wouldn't have to even ask.
Reply 42
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Oh honestly, you're so determined to be the discriminated-against victim of a conformist society. Either shag him or don't - if you REALLY cared about your boyfriend, you would have spoken to him before you even started flirting.

I probably won't reply again because I find your attitude quite boring. Have fun - or don't. Up to you, really.

No your replies just have huge holes in them which I keep pointing out :confused: Your first reply wasn't helpful, just very judgemental.

I told you, I thank everyone for their opinion as I asked for it, but I'm just explaining about our relationship, and that not all relationships are equal.

You may say I was wrong for not talking to my boyfriend before flirting with this guy. I accept that. But like I said he is okay with it, and that doesn't mean I he/i don't care, just we are honest.
Reply 43
Original post by Free.Help
Why? Just because it's not a conventional relationship? I have never had a relationship like this before either, and thought I wouldn't have one. But for mine and my boyfriends situation, it is the best way. I like him. He likes me. I don't personally feel it is natural for us to be in a monogamous relationship at this age.

I think by us being honest, and open and remaining free we are getting the best of both worlds. And yeah, maybe it won't work, we might get jealous and hate each other. Or neither or us will sleep with other people, and hey that worked!

But like I keep saying, not all relationships are the same, doesn't mean it's '****ty'

Stop striking out at the people online who are trying to give opinions. And actually, they're opinions that you asked for just by the very notion of asking this question.

Not all relationships are the same, no. But it doesn't take a monkey to realise that relationships cannot change their structure successfully, at least not by falling back into a less secure state. You can enter into an open relationship (which is what you're implying you want, basically) from the start, but you can't shift successfully from a monogamous relationship to an open one.

I'm just saying he wouldn't be your boyfriend anymore. He'd be the guy you're seeing, or your friend with benefits. If you're okay with that then you can talk to him. But any person would feel like someone punched them in the teeth if their boyfriend or girlfriend asked if it was okay to have sex with other people. Taking a step back never works.
Reply 44
Well to be honest, she just wants to be told what she wants to hear I suspect :s-smilie:

No, people are just commenting, rightly so, believing I am in a monogamous relationship, which maybe I didn't highlight enough in my first post.

So I am just saying, I am allowed to sleep with other men, if we both agree with it and we talk about it first. But I did flirt with the other man without talking to my boyfriend, which I felt guilty about and thought was a little bad.

I just wanted opinions on if others feel if this is cheating? I know my boyfriends okay with it, and I was honest with him about it happening. I just wanted other perspectives on this.

I just had people saying I shouldn't be in a relationship/poor man, when this clearing isn't the case.

Now I may be wrong, but people just seem to want to put me down because I'm a girl who enjoys casual sex, and have a pretty open relationship and if I say what's wrong with that, I just get flamed :confused:
No, people are just commenting, rightly so, believing I am in a monogamous relationship, which maybe I didn't highlight enough in my first post.

So I am just saying, I am allowed to sleep with other men, if we both agree with it and we talk about it first. But I did flirt with the other man without talking to my boyfriend, which I felt guilty about and thought was a little bad.

I just wanted opinions on if others feel if this is cheating? I know my boyfriends okay with it, and I was honest with him about it happening. I just wanted other perspectives on this.

I just had people saying I shouldn't be in a relationship/poor man, when this clearing isn't the case.

Now I may be wrong, but people just seem to want to put me down because I'm a girl who enjoys casual sex, and have a pretty open relationship and if I say what's wrong with that, I just get flamed :confused:

Why not be single though if you want to sleep around?
Reply 46
Original post by lou_100
Stop striking out at the people online who are trying to give opinions. And actually, they're opinions that you asked for just by the very notion of asking this question.

Not all relationships are the same, no. But it doesn't take a monkey to realise that relationships cannot change their structure successfully, at least not by falling back into a less secure state. You can enter into an open relationship (which is what you're implying you want, basically) from the start, but you can't shift successfully from a monogamous relationship to an open one.

I'm just saying he wouldn't be your boyfriend anymore. He'd be the guy you're seeing, or your friend with benefits. If you're okay with that then you can talk to him. But any person would feel like someone punched them in the teeth if their boyfriend or girlfriend asked if it was okay to have sex with other people. Taking a step back never works.

Please understand I am thanking everyone for their opinions and I have had some interesting ones, but I am just replying to the ones I don't understand.

From the first day we both, actually he brought it up, agreed that our relationship would be open IF we were both okay with it, and would be honest and tell each before we sleep with anyone else. So our relationship hasn't shifted. And why wouldn't he be my boyfriend?

I would still be with him, if he is okay with this. So he is my boyfriend, we are just trying out having an open relationship.

And before you say, why ask us then, I asked because this is my first open and honest relationship, and it naturally it felt like I did something naughty by flirting with the other man and I felt guilty, even though my boyfriend was okay with it. I asked for opinions because I wanted an insight into people who considered it cheating or not (even though my boyfriend doesn't). :smile:
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Oh honestly, you're so determined to be the discriminated-against victim of a conformist society. Either shag him or don't - if you REALLY cared about your boyfriend, you would have spoken to him before you even started flirting.

I probably won't reply again because I find your attitude quite boring. Have fun - or don't. Up to you, really.

I agree with this. She doesn't sound like she wants to take responsibility for her own actions- she's blaming society, her boyfriend, men in general...

I don't think you're a slut or a cheat, but don't ask the question if you don't want to hear one of the answers. I wouldn't say to someone "you're unattractive", but if they say "am I attractive to you?" I'm going to answer honestly.

It doesn't sound like you're ready for a monogamous relationship (or that you really want one, or maybe even are truly in one). Probably just try to keep things casual with these guys? I don't support the view that when you're in love, you don't want to shag other people. I do. But I think "damn, she's hot, I'd love to get with her", but that's massively overwhelmed by "I love my girlfriend, what we have is more important, I wouldn't betray her".

No judgement here if you'd rather shag around for a while. Shagging around can be great. Just don't mess people around.
Reply 48

Why be single if she and her boyfriend enjoy being in a relationship while not being too bothered about it being an open one?

If I'm honest it sounds to me like the boyfriend may have already slept with other people but doesn't want to come right out and say it in case it hurts the OP, or is at least planning on it happening. Hence being so 'ok' about everything so far.

OP: Communicate with your boyfriend. He sounds open to the idea, so just discuss it. If he's fine with you sleeping with this person, go ahead. It may lead to more jealousy/hurt feelings than either of you expected, but you'll never know until you try, and you're breaking up in September anyway. May as well try it if he's genuinely all for the idea.
Reply 49

Fair enough. Maybe I should be. But to be honest, to my shock, this "open relationship" is working well SO FAR. And I really do like my boyfriend, but it's early days and this way we both get to be in a relationship with people we like, respect and are attracted too, but get to be free also, so it's win win for us :smile:

But it's new for me, so I don't know if I should feel guilty for flirting etc. :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by Mankytoes
I agree with this. She doesn't sound like she wants to take responsibility for her own actions- she's blaming society, her boyfriend, men in general...

I don't think you're a slut or a cheat, but don't ask the question if you don't want to hear one of the answers. I wouldn't say to someone "you're unattractive", but if they say "am I attractive to you?" I'm going to answer honestly.

It doesn't sound like you're ready for a monogamous relationship (or that you really want one, or maybe even are truly in one). Probably just try to keep things casual with these guys? I don't support the view that when you're in love, you don't want to shag other people. I do. But I think "damn, she's hot, I'd love to get with her", but that's massively overwhelmed by "I love my girlfriend, what we have is more important, I wouldn't betray her".

No judgement here if you'd rather shag around for a while. Shagging around can be great. Just don't mess people around.

Thanks for you reply. Okay, I take this on board but please understand I'm just disagreeing with people who are telling me my boyfriend will be upset/poor boyfriend, when he is okay with this as I have told him. It is ME who felt guilty. And I have stated this isn't an monogamous relationship, we are trying an open relationship, very carefully though, so we told each other we will talk about sleeping with others if we want.

And yeah, I am trying to keep things quite casual as I am going in September so there's no point having a serious relationship.
Reply 51
Original post by Ronove
Why be single if she and her boyfriend enjoy being in a relationship while not being too bothered about it being an open one?

If I'm honest it sounds to me like the boyfriend may have already slept with other people but doesn't want to come right out and say it in case it hurts the OP, or is at least planning on it happening. Hence being so 'ok' about everything so far.

OP: Communicate with your boyfriend. He sounds open to the idea, so just discuss it. If he's fine with you sleeping with this person, go ahead. It may lead to more jealousy/hurt feelings than either of you expected, but you'll never know until you try, and you're breaking up in September anyway. May as well try it if he's genuinely all for the idea.

Thank you :biggrin:
I don't think he has, but maybe who knows :s-smilie:

And I will, I just don't want to upset him so I have to be careful when bringing it up. I thought he'd be upset with my flirting but he wasn't, and he always told me to be honest, no matter what. So see how it goes. :smile:
You're a cheat.
Life's too short and he's away/dodgy. It counts as cheating but you're not a....
KICHMYARSE
For example, I asked a girl what kind of underwear she was wearing on the phone, is it a thong that goes into your ... she asked if I had a hardon. We go out for drink and take hands together, but she doesn't sleep with me. She has a long-term boyfriend. We havent kissed. She jokingly touched my thing. I grabbed her butt for an inappropriate amount of time. But no we havent slept together.

:lolwut: She is cheating on her boyfriend. No question.
OP - have you thought about the idea that this third party, the boy you want to ****, might be looking for something more than NSA sex? What then? Have you told him you're only after sex or do you plan on messing him around?
Yes I do think this is cheating. When you are in a relationship you are supposed to want nobody else your not supposed to want to sleep with anybody nor have eyes for anybody else. You wouldn't even want to talk to another man. The fact is you said you were 'seeing' your boyfriend and that it has a time limit on it it suggests that you don't really want the relationship

Have you ever thought your boyfriend says its ok because he really likes you and is scared your leave him ?

The fact you asked if it nakes you a slut deep down suggests you know what you are doing is completely wrong.
Also I think that the culture where it was good for boys to sleep around and they would be a Lad and a girl would be a slut if she slept around is dying. I think boys and girls are seen in a negative light if they sleep around or maybe that's just because im growing up and with my friends everybody has toned it down as they now want relationships rather than just sex.
Reply 58
If this what the girls are like at London Southbank? Is it ok if i sit in your library for a while and get a takeaway floozy?
Reply 59
Thank you :biggrin:
I don't think he has, but maybe who knows :s-smilie:

And I will, I just don't want to upset him so I have to be careful when bringing it up. I thought he'd be upset with my flirting but he wasn't, and he always told me to be honest, no matter what. So see how it goes. :smile:

Don't ask people 'Am I a slut?' and then complain when some of them say 'yes'.

Also, if you're in an open relationship, which is agreed with your boyfriend, you're clearly not cheating, in which case I don't know why you've even bothered to write this post, other than to be controversial and get attention.

In my opinion, no, it doesn't make you a slut. However, this post makes you seem like a naive idiot who is desperate to be seen as going against the grain in some completely backwards attempt at making herself seem mature due to the ability to be in an open relationship, which, FYI, is completely pointless since it has a definite expiration date.

I'd like to think you're not at all that person, but it does come across that way, I'm afraid!

Latest

Trending

Trending