The Student Room Group

How to get full marks on a history source paper

I've noticed quite often that people achieve full marks on history exam papers easily. Tips for exam technique's ?
Reply 1
Original post by Ogmios97
I've noticed quite often that people achieve full marks on history exam papers easily. Tips for exam technique's ?

I would also like to know this
Doing a level History OCR - what is the structure for the AS Source paper - particularly question b?!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
For the 70 mark question, obviously support your observations from the sources with your own knowledge about the topic. If possible, try to use the sources and your own knowledge together - rather than in two halves to the answer.
In your introduction, make a clear judgement of what you think the answer to the question with factual support. However, don't come down too firmly on one side of the argument as the examiners will want both sides of argument in your answer. Also, don't lose sight of the sources!
Make 3 or 4 good points most relevant to the question set. Don't write everything you know about the topic!
Reply 3
Original post by emarrable
For the 70 mark question, obviously support your observations from the sources with your own knowledge about the topic. If possible, try to use the sources and your own knowledge together - rather than in two halves to the answer.
In your introduction, make a clear judgement of what you think the answer to the question with factual support. However, don't come down too firmly on one side of the argument as the examiners will want both sides of argument in your answer. Also, don't lose sight of the sources!
Make 3 or 4 good points most relevant to the question set. Don't write everything you know about the topic!

Thanks that helped a lot!! :smile:)
How much provenance do you need to do? And would you do a paragraph on each source with cross references and provenance?
Or a few key points that all the sources make assessing provenance throughout?? :-))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by cjslions
Thanks that helped a lot!! :smile:)
How much provenance do you need to do? And would you do a paragraph on each source with cross references and provenance?
Or a few key points that all the sources make assessing provenance throughout?? :-))

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't include separate paragraphs on provenance, but include them as you go along. Make sure that you evaluate the sources after making a point; so argue for or against how useful or helpful the provenance is in relation to the question. I'd start the essay with an introduction, then begin the next paragraph with 'Sources A, B, C support this argument...' to make it clear that you're grouping the sources. After that, continue with the question noting agreements and disagreements as much as possible. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending