The Student Room Group

Am i being reasonable? Boyfriend expects me to pay...

Been with my boyfriend 4 years. Most of it he has been unemployed/studying. Quit what jobs he had because he got bored. His mum bails him out. During the 4 years together, ive always helped him financially when he has asked.

He's just finished an access course (didnt work during it, through choice - his mum paid rent/bills), and didnt get into uni. So hes looking for care work. He said i should support him because thats what partners do. I got made redundant 6 weeks ago and living off savings/JSA. He is doing a cleaning job part time but gambles over 80% of it and doesnt see it as a big deal. We are both living with his parents at the moment. He just expects me to pay and doesnt see it unfair if he gambles/spends most of his cleaning wages and i subsidize him.

Im due to expect an insurance claim from a car accident and he said he wants some of it.....
Reply 1
hell no gurl
Reply 2
Be interesting to hear his side of the story but obviously the way you present it he is in the wrong
Do not give it to him, this guy is a complete joke. I'm failing to see why you are still with someone like that to be honest.
Original post by James222
Be interesting to hear his side of the story but obviously the way you present it he is in the wrong

Aye I suppose it would be interesting to see his side of the story, but I'm not sure what he could say for himself with this.
Reply 5
I'm sorry but why are you still with a guy like that?

Simple answer is no, you do not have to give him a penny of it.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Aye I suppose it would be interesting to see his side of the story, but I'm not sure what he could say for himself with this.

I dunno something along the lines
I was a struggling student borrowed money from my mom to support us now I want to pay her back **** nows

2 sides to every story
Reply 7
My mum always told me one thing. Never tell anyone when you're getting money lol

I'd say dump him tbh cause he's not worth the struggle
Original post by James222
I dunno something along the lines
I was a struggling student borrowed money from my mom to support us now I want to pay her back **** nows

2 sides to every story

Yes there are two sides to every story, but I'd be interested to know why on earth he gambles the money he does get not exactly what I'd call responsible, especially since it's not his money it's his girlfriends.
dont give it to him because he'll end up gambling and you've done enough for him.
No.

No you're not being unreasonable.

Why are you letting him get away with such a poor, lazy and care-free attitude?

He is taking you for a ride.

I don't wish to be rude, but he sounds like a waste.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Been with my boyfriend 4 years. Most of it he has been unemployed/studying. Quit what jobs he had because he got bored. His mum bails him out. During the 4 years together, ive always helped him financially when he has asked.

He's just finished an access course (didnt work during it, through choice - his mum paid rent/bills), and didnt get into uni. So hes looking for care work. He said i should support him because thats what partners do. I got made redundant 6 weeks ago and living off savings/JSA. He is doing a cleaning job part time but gambles over 80% of it and doesnt see it as a big deal. We are both living with his parents at the moment. He just expects me to pay and doesnt see it unfair if he gambles/spends most of his cleaning wages and i subsidize him.

Im due to expect an insurance claim from a car accident and he said he wants some of it.....

Never heard of this happening, ever.
Reply 12
You are not being unreasonable.
Get this kid to get off his sorry ass and make his own money.
You should leave him.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous

he's a moron. break up with him.
NEVER date a man who gambles.
Reply 15
General consensus stands that you dont give him a penny of it especially if he is gambling the money that he does earn away. Dont give him anythin!!!! And say to him that youre not happy at the fact that he is wasting the money what would happen if you two had your own place?? And if he can't see the issue then hes not worth the trouble tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending