The Student Room Group

Losing weight whilst working full time?

I had my graduation ceremony recently and the photos have really horrified me. Over the past couple of years at uni i've put on weight due to a combination of exam stress, personal issues, exhaustion, poor diet & drinking/going out for dinner too often. My BMI is classed as 'healthy' but it's obvious that I can do with toning up a bit.

I've made basic changes like walking to work instead of getting the bus & cleaning up my diet (already feel better after cutting out the crap), yet without exercising i'm not going to see any noticeable changes.

The problem is that i'm working full time in an unrewarding job. It's a struggle to get up in the morning and by the time I get home, i'm too exhausted to do anything. There's a local gym with a swimming pool that I want to join, but I have no idea how i'm going to fit the time in or how often I should be going. I've thought about going for a run as well but again, i'm not sure how i'm going to find the time.

Anyone been in a similar position?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I had my graduation ceremony recently and the photos have really horrified me. Over the past couple of years at uni i've put on weight due to a combination of exam stress, personal issues, exhaustion, poor diet & drinking/going out for dinner too often. My BMI is classed as 'healthy' but it's obvious that I can do with toning up a bit.

I've made basic changes like walking to work instead of getting the bus & cleaning up my diet (already feel better after cutting out the crap), yet without exercising i'm not going to see any noticeable changes.

The problem is that i'm working full time in an unrewarding job. It's a struggle to get up in the morning and by the time I get home, i'm too exhausted to do anything. There's a local gym with a swimming pool that I want to join, but I have no idea how i'm going to fit the time in or how often I should be going. I've thought about going for a run as well but again, i'm not sure how i'm going to find the time.

Losing weight is mostly about the diet.

You could go swimming or go for a fun BEFORE work, get showered, ready and awake for work.
Reply 2
BMI is bs. I don't understand how exam stress can lead to weight gain, if anything, it should be weight loss.
I am in a relatively similar position.

Granted, I love my current job but, like yourself, I just find myself too tired to do any proper exercise. To make matters worse, whilst I don't go crazy on breakfast and lunch, when I come home, I tend eat a lot for dinner. Coming from an Asian (oriental) background, this involves rice - and I consume a lot of it!

Prior to being employed at this job (which I've only had for just over a year), I was pretty much unemployed for around 8-9 months with a brief stint at part-time employment towards the end, I have been very good at controlling my weight; I have had the energy to go for regular runs/long walks/sport and have also been able to moderate my calorific intake.

I'm aware that the drive to lose weight involves a lot of mental strength, but I am struggling to do so at the minute.

How do you full-time workers shape your day to incorporate a good diet and regular exercise?
Original post by JAIYEKO
BMI is bs. I don't understand how exam stress can lead to weight gain, if anything, it should be weight loss.

Depends on one's character.
Original post by tehforum
Losing weight is mostly about the diet.

You could go swimming or go for a fun BEFORE work, get showered, ready and awake for work.

I think this is the best shout. If you're knackered by the time you get home from work, an early bedtime and early rise sounds like the best way for you to fit exercise in!
Have you considered doing something like Coach to 5K?
Tiredness is usually due to poor sleep patterns and diet. If I sleep late, by as little as 1 hour, I find it difficult to go to the gym after work. I get lethargic and tired by 5pm.

Get good regular sleep and get rid of the fatty junk foods and up your veg. The difference will be HUGE and more than any pill or supplement can give you
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by sr90

Work at a gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I work around 9.5 hours a day and I never get home before 8pm, so I understand your situation.
I've been exercising at home for the past few weeks using Fitness Blender youtube videos (search it on youtube/google) and I'm really loving it. You just need a mat and a pair of weights and about 30 minutes each day, and it really does work. You can either do random exercises that you find on their youtube, or buy one of their inexpensive programs (which is what I'm currently doing). Waking up earlier or leaving the house to go to the gym never really worked for me, so I'm glad I finally found something that I can fit into my routine.
I work full time in an office and for me to get some exercise, I use the hour break I have for lunch to do a power walk around the block (usually lasts 55 mins) and I change in the toilets at work,so I'm not sweaty in my work clothes. It does wonders and it also means I'm away from my desk and gives me the full and complete break I need.
Original post by sr90

if you work a normal 38 hour a week type job you easily have time to fit in work outs it's just that after a long days work you feel ****ty so when you come home you're not motivated, however what you will find is that if you start exercising and make it a routine you will feel more up for it and you will have more energy in general and probably find it emotionally easier to cope with your job

what I would advise is not to let yourself get in and sit down because then you wont want to get back up, either go straight back out for a run or walk home via the local swimming pool - this will also help you work out the stresses of work so you can relax better for the rest of the evening

I'm sure diet is the main thing to help you lose weight but if you're not overweight then you probably don't need to lose loads and what you want to aim for is a healthier lifestyle which regular exercise will help with :smile:
Original post by sonic_dream

How do you full-time workers shape your day to incorporate a good diet and regular exercise?

I shift work so I might be a little different, but I do my food shopping online so I can take my time to plan out meals and buy a larger amount/variety of foods and so I don't get so easily tempted by supermarket offers, plus it gives me extra time in my week... I cycle to and from work (totals 60-100 miles a week depending on that weeks hours) so that is a large portion of my exercise, but I run 2-3 times a week as well, usually doing one longer run on a day off and the others just 3-5 miles straight after I get home and I try and do yoga one night a week, I tend to be out and about a lot and cycle everywhere I go anyway so I am relatively active when I'm not exercising too

I think the thing to remember is that it takes very little time to do these things, a 3 mile run takes me 25 mins, cycling home from work takes me LESS time than public transport, cooking a proper meal takes very little time
Original post by doodle_333
I shift work so I might be a little different, but I do my food shopping online so I can take my time to plan out meals and buy a larger amount/variety of foods and so I don't get so easily tempted by supermarket offers, plus it gives me extra time in my week... I cycle to and from work (totals 60-100 miles a week depending on that weeks hours) so that is a large portion of my exercise, but I run 2-3 times a week as well, usually doing one longer run on a day off and the others just 3-5 miles straight after I get home and I try and do yoga one night a week, I tend to be out and about a lot and cycle everywhere I go anyway so I am relatively active when I'm not exercising too

I think the thing to remember is that it takes very little time to do these things, a 3 mile run takes me 25 mins, cycling home from work takes me LESS time than public transport, cooking a proper meal takes very little time

Thanks for the advice!

I've quoted this response, but I'll refer back to your reply to the OP:

I totally agree with "getting in, sitting down, and not coming back up", and this is what I currently face. I just need to get into the mindset of not doing so, but it's so easy to fall into it. Motivation is a powerful thing, as it's so much easier when you go back into a routine.

In any instance, I need to find the drive to fall into a good daily routine before it gets cold, wherein I'll find it extra hard to get into a routine. But once I get into it, it should be alright..
Original post by sonic_dream
Thanks for the advice!

I've quoted this response, but I'll refer back to your reply to the OP:

I totally agree with "getting in, sitting down, and not coming back up", and this is what I currently face. I just need to get into the mindset of not doing so, but it's so easy to fall into it. Motivation is a powerful thing, as it's so much easier when you go back into a routine.

In any instance, I need to find the drive to fall into a good daily routine before it gets cold, wherein I'll find it extra hard to get into a routine. But once I get into it, it should be alright..

yes, I do understand it's hard! when I started working after uni and went from a course which left me free 90% of the time and wasn't very demanding to working a job I find tiring and stressful I really got out of the habit of working out and such properly because I no longer had a routine and it IS tiring to be stressed and working a lot... cycling to work for me has obviously been ideal as I can motivate myself with the money I save on travelling as well! and for some that wont be possible, but honestly, in 2-3 weeks of getting yourself out you will have so much more energy, I don't think I could cope with working without this much exercise now I'm used to it as it is such a stress reliever and really raises my energy levels

and yes, do it before winter! and when it gets to winter just focus on the positives, you get yourself out for 45 mins for a run and when you get back in a hot shower, hot chocolate and blanket with a film are soooooooo nice, much more so than going straight to that from work
Reply 15
you lack motivation, simple really.
Original post by JAIYEKO

Not hard to understand: some people overeat to cope with stress, some under eat.
Reply 17
I'm in a similar position in that work and my other commitments operate as serious constraints to my ability to work out. I've only just joined the gym today but my plan is to leave early from work to squeeze my work out in before I get home and have to go out again, and stay late at work on rest days.

I'm not sure how workable this is because 2 out of 3 times I'd be getting home and going straight out again to martial arts training for more exercise. But we'll see how it goes. When I can drive I will be able to work out on the weekends after training which might be easier.
Regular exercise should make you more energetic.

Look into Tabata, only takes 4 minutes and is extremely effective if done correctly a few times per week. No time is no excuse!
Some good advice in here, thanks! I have noticed that since i've improved my diet (something which i've neglected a tad in recent months) I have a lot more energy, I don't feel like death in the morning and I can actually do stuff in the evening. It's 2 miles from my house to my work place, so even walking there and back is helping.

Original post by Slowbro93
Have you considered doing something like Coach to 5K?

I know of that, I think it would really help tbh. I used to be really active/sporty so my fitness level actually isn't that bad, I just don't exercise. Definitely something to look into, there's a few good places/routes in my area to go for a run. I've still got some running shoes buried in my cupboard somewhere :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest