The Student Room Group

Uni course: Science or History?

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanMargetts
Hello, first off, I'm a 16 year old boy in the Summer of going into Sixth Form to do my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry, History and Government&Politics) - I've picked 2 Sciences and 2 Essay based subjects so as to meet the subject requirements for the eventual Uni course that I decide... whenever that might be! :frown:

Anyway, I just cannot, for the life of me, decide which of the 2 to study at University (for Science, it'd more than likely be Molecular Biology or Biochemistry... something like that).

Okay, for as long as I can remember, I've LOVED History, I used to read those Horrible Histories books when I was younger and watched the TV version. I also avidly read History books (e.g. Marr's A History Of The World), Political books like 1984 and Animal Farm and watch History documentaries. I also thoroughly enjoyed History at GCSE and have no doubt that I'll enjoy it at A Level! The only problem is that, well, firstly, my Dad doesn't really want me to study History at Uni, although he is interested in it as well, and the biggest issue I face is some kind of work experience or extra-curricular activity involving History. I have no idea where to go or what to do so I an put it on my personal statement and 'wow' the University if I chose History, as I'm aware that just academic interest is not enough, right?

Now for Science. Once again, I have always been hugely interested and curious as to why things around us work, what makes them work and I often ponder the, still, unanswerable questions such as: what is life? Where did we come from? Who are we? I also often read Science books and watch Science documentaries on TV... because that is the only way to judge interest in a subject! :wink: This section of the question may not seem as interesting or as eye-catching, but honestly, I do LOVE Science too, I always have and I'm pretty sure I always will. As for my Sixth Form, because I have opted to do 1+ Science AS Levels, I am automatically enrolled into their Science Academy, which is where they take us out on trips to NHS hospitals, engineering conventions etc, lots of things like that where you can experience Science in industry. Also, work experience wise/extra-curricular, my Mom works at the local NHS hospital and so I could try and work/volunteer there in the Pathology section for a bit and gain some experience. As I imagine that would be very beneficial if I was applying to a Biology course at Uni, right?

Thank you for sitting through this. This question has pervaded my mind incessantly over the last few months, if not the whole year really! I just think that the earlier I have an answer, the Better it'll be!

Lastly, another issue I face is that if I choose one subject, I will NEVER be able to do the other. Is that right? As I believe that it'd hurt a lot just because I have a burning passion for both. Thanks again!

Hi there, are you looking at all universities or just the University of Kent? (As this is obviously where you have posted it) :h:

Edit: just seen you've posted in a few sections so I'm guessing they're the ones your considering :tongue: I was going to suggest combining them if you end up being unable to decide (I too had a similar issue and so will be studying Biology and History), but not many universities offer the flexible combined honours course. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
As far as I can recall there's a TSR user who is going to do a joint honours in biological sciences and history. So, theoretically you could do both if you can find a uni you like that offers them both as a joint honours.

Interestingly your interests in science 'who are we' 'where do we come from' sound more anthropological than anything! Have you thought of doing anthropology instead? There are many approaches, biological, social, forensic etc!

My advice is to Persue extra curriculars in history as well as biology, it looks like you've got biology sorted already but perhaps do something history orientated. Maybe help a history teacher once a week in one of their classes, I used to do that in sixth form. You could always subscribe to a history journal as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, first off, I'm a 16 year old boy in the Summer of going into Sixth Form to do my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry, History and Government&Politics) - I've picked 2 Sciences and 2 Essay based subjects so as to meet the subject requirements for the eventual Uni course that I decide... whenever that might be! :frown:

Anyway, I just cannot, for the life of me, decide which of the 2 to study at University (for Science, it'd more than likely be Molecular Biology or Biochemistry... something like that).

Okay, for as long as I can remember, I've LOVED History, I used to read those Horrible Histories books when I was younger and watched the TV version. I also avidly read History books (e.g. Marr's A History Of The World), Political books like 1984 and Animal Farm and watch History documentaries. I also thoroughly enjoyed History at GCSE and have no doubt that I'll enjoy it at A Level! The only problem is that, well, firstly, my Dad doesn't really want me to study History at Uni, although he is interested in it as well, and the biggest issue I face is some kind of work experience or extra-curricular activity involving History. I have no idea where to go or what to do so I an put it on my personal statement and 'wow' the University if I chose History, as I'm aware that just academic interest is not enough, right?

Now for Science. Once again, I have always been hugely interested and curious as to why things around us work, what makes them work and I often ponder the, still, unanswerable questions such as: what is life? Where did we come from? Who are we? I also often read Science books and watch Science documentaries on TV... because that is the only way to judge interest in a subject! :wink: This section of the question may not seem as interesting or as eye-catching, but honestly, I do LOVE Science too, I always have and I'm pretty sure I always will. As for my Sixth Form, because I have opted to do 1+ Science AS Levels, I am automatically enrolled into their Science Academy, which is where they take us out on trips to NHS hospitals, engineering conventions etc, lots of things like that where you can experience Science in industry. Also, work experience wise/extra-curricular, my Mom works at the local NHS hospital and so I could try and work/volunteer there in the Pathology section for a bit and gain some experience. As I imagine that would be very beneficial if I was applying to a Biology course at Uni, right?

Thank you for sitting through this. This question has pervaded my mind incessantly over the last few months, if not the whole year really! I just think that the earlier I have an answer, the Better it'll be!

Lastly, another issue I face is that if I choose one subject, I will NEVER be able to do the other. Is that right? As I believe that it'd hurt a lot just because I have a burning passion for both. Thanks again!

If it was me - and knowing what I know and having three children going through/ gone through uni……..

I would opt for science. Your earning potential is far greater - I have three children - the first graduated in Journalism - finally got a job but not in his subject - took two years. The second graduated in physics - found a great job within a week. He has been approached by so many recruiters and hopefully will do well. My third child is in her final year of a maths degree - already she is being inundated with offers. My niece graduated with history of art - no job after a year - so she is going to do a law conversion - but she has not managed to get a training contract so that looks like a non starter

You have so many more opportunities with science - and don't believe that if you opt for science you will "never be able to do the other"

You can read books on history - there are thousands of great books around that are easily accessible - obvious but true.
Original post by Changing Skies
Hi there, are you looking at all universities or just the University of Kent? (As this is obviously where you have posted it) :h:

Edit: just seen you've posted in a few sections so I'm guessing they're the ones your considering :tongue: I was going to suggest combining them if you end up being unable to decide (I too had a similar issue and so will be studying Biology and History), but not many universities offer the flexible combined honours course. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I've been considering that, I guess I've been too afraid to look as, from what you've said, it does seem like a rare combination! I'll definitely consider that, thanks again! :biggrin:

Yes, I sent this to a few different University forums that I would consider going to, you were the first to reply... I hadn't even finished copying and pasting the question!
You should maybe try and do some science related work experience and see if you enjoy it, because you might try something in a hospital and think wow that was great I really want to do that now or you might think okay that was really boring and I definitely don't want to do that. It really is up to you though, I don't think work experience for history is really essential but you could try to find a place like a local museum or something to get some experience. Or if there is a specific career relating to history that you are considering maybe try and find something within that field!

hope this helped a wee bit, good luck! :smile:
This might not be as detailed a response as I'd like but I need to go to work so I'm rushing a bit. Anyway, first thing that comes into my head is that you've not even started your AS levels yet. You have a year to study those, and it is likely that once you're studying both science and history, you will lean towards one or the other. I loved biology and school, then I chose it for A-Level and absolutely hated it. And like you, I thought I liked science. So you never know it could end up not being what you expect. Same goes for history too.

Another thing. If you are still absolutely torn by application time, remember the job prospects. I have just finished a politics degree, which is probably equal to history in terms of job prospects, and it is hard. I have lots of friends who have done varying science degrees and none have struggled to get a job, even with a 2:2. So bear that in mind when you are choosing.

Don't worry about extra curricular stuff in a history application. There are certain degrees where there aren't many things to put down. I briefly did economics before my politics degree and for neither application did I put extra curriculars down (and I went to good unis). As long as you demonstrate your love for history in your personal statement, it doesn't matter if you've volunteered at some poncy national trust property :lol: . Anyway, that's a way off for you yet, so don't worry about personal statements. You'll get loads of help at the time.

Like I said, sorry I've just sort of bashed this out, but a year's worth of study on these subjects will help you a lot. Come back to TSR once you've started your ASs if you're still having the issue :tongue:
Thank you! I've been considering that, I guess I've been too afraid to look as, from what you've said, it does seem like a rare combination! I'll definitely consider that, thanks again! :biggrin:

Yes, I sent this to a few different University forums that I would consider going to, you were the first to reply... I hadn't even finished copying and pasting the question!

Yeah hahaha, very rare indeed :tongue: you're welcome! Hehe sorry :colondollar:

It's a very hard decision so it does take a lot of thinking. In all honesty, most people will probably tell you to go down the science route due to employability, but it all depends on what field you could see yourself working in, what you're going to enjoy studying for three years etc. Perhaps read some books on both areas to further help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If it was me - and knowing what I know and having three children going through/ gone through uni……..

I would opt for science. Your earning potential is far greater - I have three children - the first graduated in Journalism - finally got a job but not in his subject - took two years. The second graduated in physics - found a great job within a week. He has been approached by so many recruiters and hopefully will do well. My third child is in her final year of a maths degree - already she is being inundated with offers. My niece graduated with history of art - no job after a year - so she is going to do a law conversion - but she has not managed to get a training contract so that looks like a non starter

You have so many more opportunities with science - and don't believe that if you opt for science you will "never be able to do the other"

You can read books on history - there are thousands of great books around that are easily accessible - obvious but true.

Wow, I couldn't have asked for a better answer. Thank you so much, I am forever indebted to you! I think that your final sentence will remain resonant for years to come. I agree that Science seems like a better option job-wise, and also with me doing some extra-curricular stuff, as DofE (on to Gold now) won't be enough. And yes, I know there are 'thousands of great books' that I can read and enjoy, I suppose that's where I found my love for the subject anyway. I found my love of Science through learning it from teachers and practical applications.
Thanks again!
I was in a similar boat: in that I was always interested in History, was really enthused by GCSE History, went on school trip to the First World War battlegrounds and A-Level History really opened my mind, helping to bring about different ways of thinking of the world. But I was always interested in Science, going to the Science Museum, reading many science books outside of school. I attended Physics lectures after school. I took Physics, Maths and History at A-Level, and Further Maths to AS-Level, with an initial intention of dropping History.

You are right to keep your options open. You may think your interests are set now, but these things may change after sixth form. Do what you can with extra-curricular trips and volenteering in your spare time would certainly add a 'wow' factor to the application.

Whatever career you eventually choose, you will aquire a large number of transferrable skills. Combining History with Politics also opens up some interesting opportunities, while a few History graduates convert to a law degree. History and English might be good if you are interested in a teaching career. On the other hand, science-based degrees are linked more closely in with industry, and there are more career doors open which are still linked into your degree.
Original post by Changing Skies
Yeah hahaha, very rare indeed :tongue: you're welcome! Hehe sorry :colondollar:

It's a very hard decision so it does take a lot of thinking. In all honesty, most people will probably tell you to go down the science route due to employability, but it all depends on what field you could see yourself working in, what you're going to enjoy studying for three years etc. Perhaps read some books on both areas to further help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, there's no need to apologise! :tongue:
And yes, I will do just that, I still have the rest of Summer to decide. Wait, when would you recommend me having an answer by? The end of Y12 or something? Once again, thank you!

Hmmm Intestingly, thoses are the ecat same Alevels I have just finished!
It took me a lot of humming and Harring to chose which uni course to do, nbut I eventually settled on 4 Biochemsitry Courses ad 1 Human Science course. (I would definetly check this option put. Thyue do it at UCL if that is one of the ones you are consdereing, a long woth a course with AArtrs and Sciences. Here you are expected to have done a mix of A levels. )
Biology releated wqork expreience definetly looks good, though itsn't estintial ( I never did any). For both History and Science, you can show general not-just-acdemic-intrest by attending mueseums lectures, exhiitios and reading books, and most importantly noting what you learnt from htem and why that made you want to apply for the course you are.
BUT the most important thing ois you can always change your mind. And jut because you take a science degree, you on't jst have to do science. At an interivew for a uni hte ambassador said thqat she had been tols by various business that the analytical and expreimental sjills that Biochem gives you mis looked on favourably by businesses. I what to either go into Science communicationof Public Health, so whilst this is sience related, it means im not necassarily in a lab but helpin communiate and inform the general publoic about science, and so the essay writing skills are gonna ome in useful!
Just a note. ..
You may be disadvantaged for some science courses for not taking maths. Check the requirements for some potential courses since there's no point keeping your options open and actually not being able to do what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelmcl13
You should maybe try and do some science related work experience and see if you enjoy it, because you might try something in a hospital and think wow that was great I really want to do that now or you might think okay that was really boring and I definitely don't want to do that. It really is up to you though, I don't think work experience for history is really essential but you could try to find a place like a local museum or something to get some experience. Or if there is a specific career relating to history that you are considering maybe try and find something within that field!

hope this helped a wee bit, good luck! :smile:

Oh more than a wee bit, this was very helpful, thank you! :wink:
Yes, that sounds like a very good idea indeed! And the Science Academy will help me make a decision as I may enjoy the trips a lot and 'narrow' my options to a paticular discipline, or just throw all of the tables and decide to do History! :biggrin: Thanks again, t'was very helpful indeed!
You haven't even started your AS so I wouldn't worry. After starting it you can get an idea of how each course in uni will be like.

I knew someone who loved chemistry in high school but hated it in AS level. So your opinion may change.

For now relax

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Soontobesuper
Hmmm Intestingly, thoses are the ecat same Alevels I have just finished!
It took me a lot of humming and Harring to chose which uni course to do, nbut I eventually settled on 4 Biochemsitry Courses ad 1 Human Science course. (I would definetly check this option put. Thyue do it at UCL if that is one of the ones you are consdereing, a long woth a course with AArtrs and Sciences. Here you are expected to have done a mix of A levels. )
Biology releated wqork expreience definetly looks good, though itsn't estintial ( I never did any). For both History and Science, you can show general not-just-acdemic-intrest by attending mueseums lectures, exhiitios and reading books, and most importantly noting what you learnt from htem and why that made you want to apply for the course you are.
BUT the most important thing ois you can always change your mind. And jut because you take a science degree, you on't jst have to do science. At an interivew for a uni hte ambassador said thqat she had been tols by various business that the analytical and expreimental sjills that Biochem gives you mis looked on favourably by businesses. I what to either go into Science communicationof Public Health, so whilst this is sience related, it means im not necassarily in a lab but helpin communiate and inform the general publoic about science, and so the essay writing skills are gonna ome in useful!

Thank you very much! I will take this all under consideration and check out UCL :wink:
I didn't really consider the skills you learn from a course, but now that I know, it can make my decision all the more easier! Thanks again!!
Original post by Trustno1
You haven't even started your AS so I wouldn't worry. After starting it you can get an idea of how each corse in uni will be like.

I knew someone who loved chemistry in high school but hated it in AS level. So your opinion may change.

For now relax

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for such a mellow answer! I guess that will be very beneficial, as GCSE is not really similar to A Level, never mind University! Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by xcartoonheart
Just a note. ..
You may be disadvantaged for some science courses for not taking maths. Check the requirements for some potential courses since there's no point keeping your options open and actually not being able to do what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noted! :wink:

Thank you, for my sister, who did Biochemistry at Uni but didn't do Maths at A Level, although she did Physics, she did still have to do some Maths tutorials just to keep up... I believe! Thanks again!
Original post by xcartoonheart
Just a note. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats true, I only did maths AS and when I went thru a phase of wanting to do che a lot was closed to me. I then didn't apply to those places for Biochem as I felt they would be to mathsy and ot Bio enough (often they didnt have a biomed course) *ahem*Bristol *ahem* Nottingham
Original post by jammy4041
I was in a similar boat: in that I was always interested in History, was really enthused by GCSE History, went on school trip to the First World War battlegrounds and A-Level History really opened my mind, helping to bring about different ways of thinking of the world. But I was always interested in Science, going to the Science Museum, reading many science books outside of school. I attended Physics lectures after school. I took Physics, Maths and History at A-Level, and Further Maths to AS-Level, with an initial intention of dropping History.

You are right to keep your options open. You may think your interests are set now, but these things may change after sixth form. Do what you can with extra-curricular trips and volenteering in your spare time would certainly add a 'wow' factor to the application.

Whatever career you eventually choose, you will aquire a large number of transferrable skills. Combining History with Politics also opens up some interesting opportunities, while a few History graduates convert to a law degree. History and English might be good if you are interested in a teaching career. On the other hand, science-based degrees are linked more closely in with industry, and there are more career doors open which are still linked into your degree.

Thank you! This was very helpful as I could easily relate to you :smile:

I will indeed keep my options open as I do often change my mind, so I guess I can still look around this Summer, but stay focused in September etc and see which A Levels stand out the most! Thanks again, I'll be sure to have an answer soon and, of course when I change the world and make everything better, you'll definitely get some credit :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending