The Student Room Group

Is relationship the same after a Break?

I've been with her for 8 months. We've had great times and are still ok. But she's changed a lot. She gets angry a lot these days and just takes me for granted in many ways. In a way its good because she feels more comfy around me, but then it really isn't nice to be taken for granted.

Even though she thinks we're ok, I know we're not. So I was thinking to ask if we should take a break from the relationship. Not a break to see other people or act like we're single, but just not be around each other. And then be back together after.

But are things going to be the same after the break? Would we be just as close that we are now, after the break?

What's your experience on this?
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with her for 8 months. We've had great times and are still ok. But she's changed a lot. She gets angry a lot these days and just takes me for granted in many ways. In a way its good because she feels more comfy around me, but then it really isn't nice to be taken for granted.

Even though she thinks we're ok, I know we're not. So I was thinking to ask if we should take a break from the relationship. Not a break to see other people or act like we're single, but just not be around each other. And then be back together after.

But are things going to be the same after the break? Would we be just as close that we are now, after the break?

As a rule, breaks don't work. If you really want to be apart from her for an extended period of time after eight months, this relationship probably isn't going anywhere long term. It's basically a way of avoiding the issues, if you aren't happy with the way she treats you you need to talk about it and see if she can change.
Reply 2
Well going by Friends no.
And it will almost certainly end up with one of you screaming

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120527203758/friends/images/5/55/We_Were_On_A_Break.jpg
If you discuss it, set out the rules and boundaries, set a time then I don't see the ******* with it. Sometimes people do need to take a step back and think and reflect.
Idk for me I've always assumed if two people really loved each other, they wouldn't need a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

This will sound bad but I've been on two breaks with my girlfriend lol. We're strong together but we have our moments. One break was for a month and the last one was for 3 months. It depends on the couple really. If you guys actually love each other then a break could be good, it will make you appreciate each other more. That being said it can cause more problems. In my experience they can be hard as you will know your partner is having fun without you and it might feel like he/she has forgotten about you when they're out with their friends or something.

I would avoid a break if possible, it really isn't as simple as 'we'll just take a break and meet up in a month'. It can cause more problems and it can turn into a competition of who needs who more. Your partner might try and make you feel jealous and she'll try very hard to make you notice that she is having a lot of fun without you. As I said they can be good, but I think there has to be a certain level of maturity (I do not mean to sound snobby there).
Most the time no. People don't lay out the boundaries of what's okay and what isn't, then once you resume after the break stuff comes out again and it just ends badly.
have you tried maybe talking and discussing things with her? if the relationship's serious and you both are keen on making things work, then there shouldn't be too big a problem of clear, honest and open communication between two parties and hopefully she'll be understanding and want to talk things out too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending