The Student Room Group

Is there a way to become stoic to fatigue?

I would like to learn how to never end up acting victim to 'the tired feeling' again. I believe most of my current problems stem from a variation of this
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I would like to learn how to never end up acting victim to 'the tired feeling' again. I believe most of my current problems stem from a variation of this

I think it may be possible to convince oneself that you aren't tired, but it would catch up on you eventually.

Could be diet, I had this problem because I was eating too much junk. Don't get me wrong I wasn't fat or anything but I didn't eat enough food with proper energy in it so any time I did any exercise I would always feel drained.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Could be diet, I had this problem because I was eating too much junk. Don't get me wrong I wasn't fat or anything but I didn't eat enough food with proper energy in it so any time I did any exercise I would always feel drained.

I don't know whether porridge, wholemeal Subway and quiche counts as junk but you could be right

Original post by Mr.Econometrics
I think it may be possible to convince oneself that you aren't tired, but it would catch up on you eventually.

that's true, I guess I mean just how to 'tough it out' :tongue:
I don't know whether porridge, wholemeal Subway and quiche counts as junk but you could be right

Considering most of our energy sources are derived from carbohydrates and these foods are rich in them this doesn't sound like the problem.

When do you feel fatigued?

Lot's of exercise and a healthy balanced diet
Considering most of our energy sources are derived from carbohydrates and these foods are rich in them this doesn't sound like the problem.

When do you feel fatigued?

mostly

-later on at night, say after 12

-first couple of hours in the day waking up

-after work derp :tongue:

-when I haven't eaten

-after eating crap derp :tongue: such as cheat day yesterday at Hungry Horse. But it shouldn't affect me today

-after a hard workout

-after being out in public/ (I think this is an anxiety thing, my adrenals flaring up maybe, this is when it started today)

-pretty much the moment I drink alcohol I tense up

-any sort of stress/deadline/most of the working week because I don't sleep well

-after a long time on the Internet

etc.

It's unusual for me not to feel tired tbh. I feel least tired with my friends, and most tired directly before or after a social situation, or home alone.

that's true, I guess I mean just how to 'tough it out' :tongue:

I think if you just slept like 10 minutes later each day, but set your alarm for the same time, you could 'tough it out' without it feeling like you're toughing it out, but it'd be normal almost? One of life's great mysteries.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Lot's of exercise and a healthy balanced diet

I do this :s-smilie: it doesn't fully work. I sense my stress management is a significant cause. Although I do need to boost my cardio fitness.
mostly

-when I haven't eaten

-after eating crap derp :tongue: such as cheat day yesterday at Hungry Horse. But it shouldn't affect me today

-after a hard workout

-after being out in public/ (I think this is an anxiety thing, my adrenals flaring up maybe, this is when it started today)

-any sort of stress/deadline/most of the working week because I don't sleep well

etc.

It's unusual for me not to feel tired tbh. I feel least tired with my friends, and most tired directly before or after a social situation, or home alone.

How much sleep are you getting?
I do this :s-smilie: it doesn't fully work. I sense my stress management is a significant cause. Although I do need to boost my cardio fitness.

Amazingly, everybody does it, yet very few people do.

Try and make time for thirty minutes if cardio.

Another thing is a decent nights sleep.

I've gone through everything yiuve gone through. I git rid of the tv from the bedroom and started going to bed early and reading. Within five minutes I was out sparko
mostly

-when I haven't eaten

-after a hard workout

etc.

Most of those sound completely normal, anyone up after 12 is likely to be tired, the same as if you haven't eaten

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much sleep are you getting?

on off. I've had some trouble with sleep since AS Levels. On average 6 hours, a couple of nights a week I mess up obsessing about stuff on the Internet and only get a few, or I just can't sleep. The last couple of weeks I've been sleeping better but I'm off work on sick leave so that can't last forever...
on off. I've had some trouble with sleep since AS Levels. On average 6 hours, a couple of nights a week I mess up obsessing about stuff on the Internet and only get a few, or I just can't sleep. The last couple of weeks I've been sleeping better but I'm off work on sick leave so that can't last forever...

This is probably your main problem, you need to be getting a lot more sleep. I'd recommend at least 8 or 9 hours. Try it for a week and see how you feel.
This is probably your main problem, you need to be getting a lot more sleep. I'd recommend at least 8 or 9 hours. Try it for a week and see how you feel.

How does an 'insomniac' do that? 9 is like reaching The Promised Land for me :tongue:
How does an 'insomniac' do that? 9 is like reaching The Promised Land for me :tongue:

I feel sorry for you, I can easily get 13 hours without a sweat sometimes.

Mhmm this might explain things, if you're an insomniac than you might find you're tired a lot of the time.

To help get to sleep:

- Avoid caffeine before bed
- Avoid exercise or lifting weights before bed
- Do lot's of exercise during the day, mainly cardio
- Avoid gaming or watching laptops before bed
- Avoid alcohol before bed

You probably know most of these but I hope this helps.

The only other suggestion I can give is try not to do too much in one day. Sit down and relax sometimes
I feel sorry for you, I can easily get 13 hours without a sweat sometimes.

Mhmm this might explain things, if you're an insomniac than you might find you're tired a lot of the time.

To help get to sleep:

- Avoid caffeine before bed
- Avoid exercise or lifting weights before bed
- Do lot's of exercise during the day, mainly cardio
- Avoid gaming or watching laptops before bed
- Avoid alcohol before bed

You probably know most of these but I hope this helps.

The only other suggestion I can give is try not to do too much in one day. Sit down and relax sometimes

Yesterday my dad did a 9am-10pm shift, came home and had a mince pie and hot toddy 10 minutes before bed. How does he do that? That would wreck my sleep pattern. Am I supposed to do that?
Yesterday my dad did a 9am-10pm shift, came home and had a mince pie and hot toddy 10 minutes before bed. How does he do that? That would wreck my sleep pattern. Am I supposed to do that?

No you should really be keeping a regular sleeping pattern, so go to bed the same time and get up at the same time every day

Quick Reply

Latest