The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Really? I guess i just have to wait and see now until my scan,not that long to go. Will they tel me the results?Or will i need to my gp for them
Congrats on trying again.
Original post by Anonymous
I know I'm only one person, but my periods were all over the place after my miscarriage. For about 14 months I didn't really know when to expect them. Mine have settled down now, and there was never any other explanation found other than the MC. However, I was obviously stressed and highly emotional for a while after it, and then the irregular periods made me more stressed, coupled with the fact that I was desperate to conceive (4 years on and I'm glad I didn't because it just wasn't right) to replace the baby (which was unplanned) that I'd lost.. so that may have made me irregular. Who knows. Anyhow they're fine now (and ironically my partner has made a few comments along the lines of he's ready, so off we go again..)
Really? I guess i just have to wait and see now until my scan,not that long to go. Will they tel me the results?Or will i need to my gp for them
Congrats on trying again.

If its an ultrasound i got told then, and they sent a letter to my dr saying more because i had cysts, the woman showed me the screen and stuff, not that i understood it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah its an ultrasound.Hope I get told there and then. I just want to know why theyr irregular :frown:. I know thats what is preventing me getting pregnant. Cycles all messed up because of a mc :frown: its like a double hi

Original post by PandaWho
If its an ultrasound i got told then, and they sent a letter to my dr saying more because i had cysts, the woman showed me the screen and stuff, not that i understood it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah its an ultrasound.Hope I get told there and then. I just want to know why theyr irregular :frown:. I know thats what is preventing me getting pregnant. Cycles all messed up because of a mc :frown: its like a double hi

A scan cant confirm PCOS though, a scan can just see if you have an cysts at that particular time, or if theres anything else up with your ovaries

Hopefully everything will work out ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
A scan cant confirm PCOS though, a scan can just see if you have an cysts at that particular time, or if theres anything else up with your ovaries

Hopefully everything will work out ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not alone it can't but a scan in combination with clinical symptoms is used as the criteria for diagnosing PCOS.
Original post by Sarky
Not alone it can't but a scan in combination with clinical symptoms is used as the criteria for diagnosing PCOS.

Yes i know, but you can have PCOS but not have cysts at the time of the scan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little man was 6 months on Tuesday. Can't believe how fast time is going!

Spoiler

Hey guys,

Yeah my GP said the scan will help in seeing why my periods are irregular since my miscarriage although she still didn't want to give me anything to make them regular until after the scan if needed.
My sister in law always had regular periods and still does but since she gave birth they became a lot more heavy. So they sent her for a scan and said there was nothing wrong and they couldn't do anything about it. Although she did say they put the scan tool inside her as well. But my appointment letter states it'll be an extrnal scan etc.
My period is normal how they usually are currently on day 2.
Original post by randdom
Little man was 6 months on Tuesday. Can't believe how fast time is going!

Spoiler

He's lovely! Is he crawling yet?

Sébastien was three months two days ago! And already filling out his 3-6 month sleepsuits so well...

1418390703685.jpg
Original post by Kater Murr
He's lovely! Is he crawling yet?

Sébastien was three months two days ago! And already filling out his 3-6 month sleepsuits so well...

1418390703685.jpg

not yet but desperate to!

He is growing well!
Hi everyone, is it a bad idea to actively try and get pregnant whilst at Uni?
Hi everyone, is it a bad idea to actively try and get pregnant whilst at Uni?

What year are you in?

Inow someone that got pregnant in second year and had to defer, and i also knew a lass that timed it to give birth after wed finished in 3rd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What year are you in?

Inow someone that got pregnant in second year and had to defer, and i also knew a lass that timed it to give birth after wed finished in 3rd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're both in second year. I would probably realistically have to take a year out. But I would definitely go back to my studies after that year. How did the people that you knew cope?

I'm just trying to work out whether or not it's incredibly selfish of us?
We're both in second year. I would probably realistically have to take a year out. But I would definitely go back to my studies after that year. How did the people that you knew cope?

I'm just trying to work out whether or not it's incredibly selfish of us?

Is there a reason you want to start trying now? Can you not wait until youv graduated, it would be harder to study with a child, you dont know you would definately go back to studying.

I know both of them struggled just being pregnant and studying, it put alot more stress on them than if they wernt pregnant. And they had to miss lectures for appointments and things. I know one found it slightly easier as it was her second child, and the fact she didnt have to worry about studying when he was born.

Have you really thought about the pros and cons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a reason you want to start trying now? Can you not wait until youv graduated, it would be harder to study with a child, you dont know you would definately go back to studying.

I know both of them struggled just being pregnant and studying, it put alot more stress on them than if they wernt pregnant. And they had to miss lectures for appointments and things. I know one found it slightly easier as it was her second child, and the fact she didnt have to worry about studying when he was born.

Have you really thought about the pros and cons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, I can't give you a better reason than the fact that we keep talking about it and it just feels right. Which is why I'm thinking we're probably just being selfish. We had a pregnancy scare a while back and we talked afterwards and both mentioned about how much we wished that I had in fact been pregnant.

I know that you're right, finishing Uni first would be better I suppose because we'd both be earning and not having to commit time to studying. We've written lists of pros and cons (yes, we're very sad people!) and the main issue seems to be finance. We do both have savings...not millions or anything, but we would be able to afford a mortgage. But as we would only really be able to work during the holidays/weekends while studying that does limit us a bit.

Our families would definitely help out in every way possible, but at the end of the day, you can't really have a child and then expect everyone else in your life to help out!

Thank you for being a voice of reason, I need someone to convince me that it's not the right time :smile:
Honestly, I can't give you a better reason than the fact that we keep talking about it and it just feels right. Which is why I'm thinking we're probably just being selfish. We had a pregnancy scare a while back and we talked afterwards and both mentioned about how much we wished that I had in fact been pregnant.

I know that you're right, finishing Uni first would be better I suppose because we'd both be earning and not having to commit time to studying. We've written lists of pros and cons (yes, we're very sad people!) and the main issue seems to be finance. We do both have savings...not millions or anything, but we would be able to afford a mortgage. But as we would only really be able to work during the holidays/weekends while studying that does limit us a bit.

Our families would definitely help out in every way possible, but at the end of the day, you can't really have a child and then expect everyone else in your life to help out!

Thank you for being a voice of reason, I need someone to convince me that it's not the right time :smile:

I do honestly think it would be better to wait until youv graduated. I know lots of people who have gotten pregnant and not been able to get back into education since giving birth for one reason or another, and you shouldnt risk wasting your degree pver this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do honestly think it would be better to wait until youv graduated. I know lots of people who have gotten pregnant and not been able to get back into education since giving birth for one reason or another, and you shouldnt risk wasting your degree pver this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will have another chat with my boyfriend then. Thanks for the advice :smile: xxx
I will have another chat with my boyfriend then. Thanks for the advice :smile: xxx

I got pregnant about two weeks after I finished uni and I couldn't have done uni pregnant. You may get morning sickness or pelvic girdle pain and be unable to move. I couldn't keep much food down for weeks on end and felt so sick :frown:

Finanically you'd get child tax credit and child benefit but that's about it. Personally I live in halls as my partner is a PhD student and every other family in our block has the woman staying at home while the man studies. I think it is possible to both study but I can imagine it would be very very stressful. I look after the baby and do housework in the day so our evenings are nice and resful, I think it would be hard if both were studying and had to cook, clean etc. It also depends on what you are studying, physics was very time intensive. Perhaps if you find your degree easy it might be easier for you.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about babies or pregnancy!

It would be tricky. I know of two women who had babies (planned) while I was at medical school. Both had partners who were working and could support them financially and both took a year out. I would imagine that financially it would be tricky to do it when both of you are students. As has already been said you don't know what your pregnancy will be like, I sat one of my professional exams during my first trimester and it was a nightmare I had no energy and had to leave twice to be sick and that was only one exam.

The above said though I understand that when you want a baby it can be completely overwhelming and I wouldn't go as far to say that having a baby would be a bad idea just that it it wouldn't be easy. It is something that you and your partner would have to weigh up.

I basically just agree with what everyone else has said. I don't think it would be impossible, but uni and baby would probably be really, really hard on both of you, even with outside help. I would say if you can, wait.

Quick Reply

Latest