The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Normally it's because I'm busy and I'm not the kinda dude to use the phone when I'm walking or doing sports or whatever.
Even when I'm alone or not busy I'll leave it because I don't feel like talking just yet or whatever because I'm the kinda dude who talks all day and I wanna eat some Oreos and watch netflix at the end of the day lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
This has happened to me before and it is so irritating especially when you thought that the individual was into you. Cut your losses and move on, they are not worthy of your time.
Original post by abbiemac
I normally do this.. it seems too harsh to just tell someone 'I don't like you.'
Especially as it might get awkward if they actually just think of you as a friend and are just messaging you constantly for no reason..

I don't straight ignore people, just reply bluntly or take a while to reply. Guys usually get the hint, I'd certainly get the hint if a guy did it to me. I'd rather that than them just saying 'I don't like you, go away.'

Each to their own, but I would prefer to be told straight up. Of course not harshly as 'I don't like you'. But a guy could put it more politely such as i don't know ' I like you as a friend, you are great but I feel we don't match' etc
Reply 23
I normally do this.. it seems too harsh to just tell someone 'I don't like you.'
Especially as it might get awkward if they actually just think of you as a friend and are just messaging you constantly for no reason..

I don't straight ignore people, just reply bluntly or take a while to reply. Guys usually get the hint, I'd certainly get the hint if a guy did it to me. I'd rather that than them just saying 'I don't like you, go away.'

So that's why you take so long to reply to my messages on the Wonderful and Single Society Thread :eyeball:
Original post by Kovu
So that's why you take so long to reply to my messages on the Wonderful and Single Society Thread :eyeball:

I'm so sorry, I didn't want you to find out like this :frown:

Lol jk, on it now honey xo
Reply 25
I'm so sorry, I didn't want you to find out like this :frown:

Lol jk, on it now honey xo

//wrists
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
Are there any exceptions to the rule, no reply= no interest in regards to guys?

To be honest, I would say few. I suppose there might be some game playing, but that doesn't bode well either. In dating, for me, enthusiasm is key.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have heard people say if a guy does not reply to your message it is because he doesn't like you. Well ok fine, why don't guys just say it straight out 'I am not into you' instead of getting a girl's hope high.

Most guys have said it just seems cruel to say straight to a girl that they are not interested so they rather slowly cut off contact and hope the girl gets the hint that they are no longer interested. But surely a guy would see this is more cruel than actually saying I am not interested.

I texted a guy once who then didn't reply, I thought ok he did say to email him (we were living quite far from each other). So I thought ok then I will, he then replied back to my email and I wrote him back and he never replied. I felt like he did this just to hurt me, to get my hopes high and just crush them.

Maybe you should get yourself a mirror that's actually working, huh?
Original post by William Pitt
Maybe you should get yourself a mirror that's actually working, huh?

Stop with the trolling man.
Reply 29
Meeeeh it depends really. If you've had a full-blown conversation and you can tell it has reached the end, then me (and probably the other person) will likely end the conversation. That's fine, a conversation don't last forever. If someone ended the conversation with "okay/kk" for example, not much I can do with that to be honest, replying with "I love the fact that you're okay" certainly wouldn't be a viable option...or maybe it would, whatever floats your cruise liner.

One thing that does annoy me (and I believe it was alluded too earlier) is when someone messages you, you reply and you don't get a response. Okay if you send me a message and I replied and you went offline I can understand that. But when you've seen the message (talking Facebook now) and then carry on liking pictures of cats or share meme on a page to show how much you'd love a relationship with guy, only to make a status 5 minutes later saying how all men are douches...well that can be quite irritating cause you ignored it my reply when you wanted one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Each to their own, but I would prefer to be told straight up. Of course not harshly as 'I don't like you'. But a guy could put it more politely such as i don't know ' I like you as a friend, you are great but I feel we don't match' etc

I'd rather a girl not reply, or even tell me she hates me and hopes my family die of cancer...rather than let's just be friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
trying to play hard to get
Reply 32
Well personally I have a real issue with text messages, particularly with potential dating partners in that it's such a lazy form of communication. Sure it's convenient and I suppose it's okay when you first meet someone, but in my mind it's not a sustainable habit and I would make it very clear to the guy that I find it unacceptable as a primary form of communication. Finding a compatible partner is partly about honestly communicating your needs and boundaries and if a guy is heavily reliant on text messaging, then that to me is a super red flag.

Also, I think some women need to spend less time concerned with what isn't said, and more on the actions of men. It's his actions that determines his interest level, not his words - although flattery is always welcomed! You don't need a guy to explicitly say "I'm not into you" to get the message; if a man is sporadically responding to your messages, not actively pursuing things, or worst not responding at all, then he is either half-arsed in his interest or simply not into you - both are unacceptable. I don't believe for one second that "perhaps he is too busy" -.if a guy is genuinely interested he would make time, not keep you in the dark and most importantly he will be actively consistent in his efforts. Once you have met the right guy, you won't even need to guess whether he is interested or not, his actions will speak volumes and that alone will give you the assurance you need.
(edited 9 years ago)
it's because we're doing somthing manly,
whether it's playing fifa or comparing beards its manly
-or it could just be because we don't like you
-or it could be we are planning an answer to SOMONE we like so we don't **** it up, usually by conferring with friends via a group chat on what to say, especially if your friends egg you on to do so
-or finaly we might just be having abit of time to ourselves :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tommy1499
it's because we're doing somthing manly,
whether it's playing fifa or comparing beards its manly
-or it could just be because we don't like you
-or it could be we are planning an answer to SOMONE we like so we don't **** it up, usually by conferring with friends via a group chat on what to say, especially if your friends egg you on to do so
-or finaly we might just be having abit of time to ourselves :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because playing Fifa is such a manly thing to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
As people have already said, girls are just as bad! Sometimes to stop myself looking needy or the 'guy you text when bored' i'd leave it for 10-15min before replying. Oddly when texting the opposite sex, to start with, it tends to work better with slightly delayed replies.

But then i'd say theres no 'strategy' to texting. I've texted guys/girls who are quick repliers or wont reply for hours! Depends on the person. Some girl actually approached me over being slow to reply to her texts and such when actually I was working my part-time job most afternoons (during the summer). So people just get wrapped up in other things so dont let it go to your head; take it with a pinch of salt! :biggrin:
Original post by Sam_Chem
As people have already said, girls are just as bad! Sometimes to stop myself looking needy or the 'guy you text when bored' i'd leave it for 10-15min before replying. Oddly when texting the opposite sex, to start with, it tends to work better with slightly delayed replies.

But then i'd say theres no 'strategy' to texting. I've texted guys/girls who are quick repliers or wont reply for hours! Depends on the person. Some girl actually approached me over being slow to reply to her texts and such when actually I was working my part-time job most afternoons (during the summer). So people just get wrapped up in other things so dont let it go to your head; take it with a pinch of salt! :biggrin:

I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
To be honest, I'm very lazy when it comes to emailing, facebook messaging, texting, or whatever else. Whether or not people get a reply (or a good reply/ a lengthy reply/ a cheerful reply) has more to do with things like how busy I am, whether or not I've just eaten, how tired I feel, how much I've talked to other people that day, or if I'm in a decent mood generally than how much I actually like them.

Very often I get/ read messages when I don't have the time or motivation to reply, and then I simply forget to reply later on. I do this with literally everyone, and it's especially bad when we aren't really talking about anything or I also meet this person on a regular basis anyway. The only difference with girls I'm interested in is that I initiate more, although again this doesn't mean I also forget to talk or reply to them.

I'm sure some guys analyse and think about texting/messaging much more than me, and probably approach it more like girls do. But the only time when I will intentionally ignore someone is if they're being rude or something. I don't tend to ignore people for being boring, they're more likely to just get a short reply.
Maybe if guy/girl is the more outgoing type then emailing/texting may come across as dull and those that do it and might take to interacting face to face better or phoning. I guess emailing can come across as a bit sterile after a while even if trying to inject some energy into it, what do others here think?
Original post by Menrva
Well personally I have a real issue with text messages, particularly with potential dating partners in that it's such a lazy form of communication. Sure it's convenient and I suppose it's okay when you first meet someone, but in my mind it's not a sustainable habit and I would make it very clear to the guy that I find it unacceptable as a primary form of communication. Finding a compatible partner is partly about honestly communicating your needs and boundaries and if a guy is heavily reliant on text messaging, then that to me is a super red flag.

Also, I think some women need to spend less time concerned with what isn't said, and more on the actions of men. It's his actions that determines his interest level, not his words - although flattery is always welcomed! You don't need a guy to explicitly say "I'm not into you" to get the message; if a man is sporadically responding to your messages, not actively pursuing things, or worst not responding at all, then he is either half-arsed in his interest or simply not into you - both are unacceptable. I don't believe for one second that "perhaps he is too busy" -.if a guy is genuinely interested he would make time, not keep you in the dark and most importantly he will be actively consistent in his efforts. Once you have met the right guy, you won't even need to guess whether he is interested or not, his actions will speak volumes and that alone will give you the assurance you need.

Preach!

Oh my days, you are the bomb .com

Latest

Trending

Trending