The Student Room Group

How can I become more comfortable around men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BritishBlu£
We men are not hard to please at all, a blowjob, a sandwich and some idle conversation can be more than enough.
Maybe you're just boring or making them feel wierd with your awkwardness. You shouldn't shame men for not choosing you, there's probably a good reason why they are not. If you have tried multiple times to get to know men but have been brushed off then I suspect the problem is you. Men don't owe you jacks**t , blaming us for your neurosis is only going to harm your chances even further. Seek therapy before you seek more interaction with men.
Oh and, for the love of god, don't use alcohol as a crutch. Some muppet always mentions that on TSR for some reason but alcohol is the absolute WORST way to deal with your issues.

I'm not blaming men. And I'm not boring. I have a great personality, I'm hilarious, and smart. I'm doing my Ph.D in Physics at Imperial. And I'm not asking about relationships. I just want to be friends with guys, hang out with them, joke around with them. I find guys to be much smarter and funnier than girls. It's my dream to be friends with guys and be in their company, just platonic..I'm not expecting dates lol..I may be awkward though..but people tell me I don't seem shy when I talk..I hide it well but I am a wreck inside lol
Original post by sparklenshine
I'm not blaming men. And I'm not boring. I have a great personality, I'm hilarious, and smart. I'm doing my Ph.D in Physics at Imperial. And I'm not asking about relationships. I just want to be friends with guys, hang out with them, joke around with them. I find guys to be much smarter and funnier than girls. It's my dream to be friends with guys and be in their company, just platonic..I'm not expecting dates lol..I may be awkward though..but people tell me I don't seem shy when I talk..I hide it well but I am a wreck inside lol

The gym. Lift weights.

(OK, maybe that's not a good idea)
Original post by shawn_o1
The gym. Lift weights.

(OK, maybe that's not a good idea)

??? Gym?
??? Gym?

How do you exercise? (Just wondering)
How can I become friends with guys? I'm 23 and have never had a relationship or been asked out. I'm quite attractive and have been approached to model...but guys have never complimented me except old guys..I only get complimented by girls..I really want to get to know guys better and become more comfortable with them.

I'm not only uncomfortable with attractive/smart guys but also guys who aren't as smart as me and not attractive..basically any guy!! I always feel sooo self conscious and awkward when I talk to men. If a female friend is sitting near a guy and she looks to me to ask or say something, I always get so awkward and uncomfortable because i know the guy is also listening to the conversation and I fear he will compare my personality to hers or his girlfriends or something..and another problem is when I know a guy has a girlfriend, I always fear he's going to compare my personality and humor with hers.

I feel like they're judging everything I say and my face and my body and my hair and my clothes..I see other girls who aren't as attractive, or funny, or smart look so comfortable with these same men. I wonder why I can't have their confidence!? I really need help..I hate feeling like this. If I hear someone near me saying something, I always know something funny to say but I'm so shy so I never do. People who are around me at uni probably think I'm so weird because I don't talk to anyone. I know they think I'm just unfriendly but I am not. I'm just shy and socially awkward...

Do guys judge girls who try to befriend them? I don't want them to think they like me..but I just don't know how to appear calm, confident, and friendly, without getting nervous and making them think I like them..I just don't understand why guys don't like me.

Why do guys just hate me soo much!? :confused::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::cry2::cry2::cry2:

I'm literally in the same boat as you!
I used to compare myself with my friends who were way funnier than me and always felt my contribution to the conversation was worth nothing.

only once you start hanging out with more guys, you'll be more confident around them eventually! I have no problem now that i'm in uni. Just relax and be yourself!
As for the never-had-a-relationship, I'm hoping this is going to change soon for me because I'm a bit tired of being single haha my only problem is I'm very fussy - was asked out once before and I said no.
How do you exercise? (Just wondering)

I don't lool
Since you're a male, can you tell me if when a girl talks to you do you compare her personality, looks, and sense of humor with your girlfriend or crush????

No, i don't compare looks of a particular girl to another. Each individual person is different in many ways, i tend to pay more attention to what they say. I think you fear rejection, near fear rejection.
I'm not blaming men. And I'm not boring. I have a great personality, I'm hilarious, and smart. I'm doing my Ph.D in Physics at Imperial.

So. What?
If you're so amazing why are you having trouble relating to the opposite sex while every other woman around you isn't...? It doesn't matter how you see yourself if everybody is seeing something else.
A lot of your comments are passive-aggressive and sneaky little digs at men because, apparently, we're too dense to see you for the special little snowflake that you are. We don't owe you anything, least of all our time.
You have crippling social anxiety. Please seek therapy. Stop blaming men.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't lool

You may not realise it but even a simple jog around a park can make you feel better, also, you may get the odd social opportunity
Original post by BritishBlu£
So. What?
If you're so amazing why are you having trouble relating to the opposite sex while every other woman around you isn't...? It doesn't matter how you see yourself if everybody is seeing something else.
A lot of your comments are passive-aggressive and sneaky little digs at men because, apparently, we're too dense to see you for the special little snowflake that you are. We don't owe you anything, least of all our time.
You have crippling social anxiety. Please seek therapy. Stop blaming men.

I know I have social anxiety!!! :'( NO I do have a right to blame men because THEY act weird around me, and that CAUSES me to act weird. And you're quite rude. You don't even know me. I am special.
I know I have social anxiety!!! :'( NO I do have a right to blame men because THEY act weird around me, and that CAUSES me to act weird. And you're quite rude. You don't even know me. I am special.

I can tell lots of people are going :rolleyes: at what you just said.
Though the more compassionate of us, myself included (possibly) would also like to spend some time with you, see you how perceive others and get to the bottom of your problems. But then again, we might not even be real :wink:
If you have anyone close to talk to, tell them about your social anxiety if you haven't already.
How can I become friends with guys? I'm 23 and have never had a relationship or been asked out. I'm quite attractive and have been approached to model...but guys have never complimented me except old guys..I only get complimented by girls..I really want to get to know guys better and become more comfortable with them.

I'm not only uncomfortable with attractive/smart guys but also guys who aren't as smart as me and not attractive..basically any guy!! I always feel sooo self conscious and awkward when I talk to men. If a female friend is sitting near a guy and she looks to me to ask or say something, I always get so awkward and uncomfortable because i know the guy is also listening to the conversation and I fear he will compare my personality to hers or his girlfriends or something..and another problem is when I know a guy has a girlfriend, I always fear he's going to compare my personality and humor with hers.

I feel like they're judging everything I say and my face and my body and my hair and my clothes..I see other girls who aren't as attractive, or funny, or smart look so comfortable with these same men. I wonder why I can't have their confidence!? I really need help..I hate feeling like this. If I hear someone near me saying something, I always know something funny to say but I'm so shy so I never do. People who are around me at uni probably think I'm so weird because I don't talk to anyone. I know they think I'm just unfriendly but I am not. I'm just shy and socially awkward...

Do guys judge girls who try to befriend them? I don't want them to think they like me..but I just don't know how to appear calm, confident, and friendly, without getting nervous and making them think I like them..I just don't understand why guys don't like me.

Why do guys just hate me soo much!? :confused::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::cry2::cry2::cry2:

So far from the truth for a normal guy I reckon. Probably true of a minority but they're not the kind of people you want to be around anyway. I've only got experience of my own brain but I imagine people are scrutinizing you as much as you scrutinize others - which I bet isn't much. If you get over caring so much about how you're being perceived, everything else will follow.
I think your personality needs a little work... I mean, you claim to be the best thing since sliced bread, and seem to think that a guy's personality is always going to be 5000% better than a female one, despite the fact you've never had any male friends to prove this.

Once you learn yourself some humility, I think you'll be good to go.
I can tell lots of people are going :rolleyes: at what you just said.
Though the more compassionate of us, myself included (possibly) would also like to spend some time with you, see you how perceive others and get to the bottom of your problems. But then again, we might not even be real :wink:
If you have anyone close to talk to, tell them about your social anxiety if you haven't already.

You aren't real?
You aren't real?

I am but can you trust anything that channels through the internet? It's a huge risk attempting to meet someone you only know through the internet.
Original post by Another
I think your personality needs a little work... I mean, you claim to be the best thing since sliced bread, and seem to think that a guy's personality is always going to be 5000% better than a female one, despite the fact you've never had any male friends to prove this.

Once you learn yourself some humility, I think you'll be good to go.

I never claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread :/. But I said I am special because I really think I am. I'm not bragging, I'm just being honest. Would you like it if I said I thought I was a loser when I don't? Yes, I have social anxiety, I'm insecure around guys and I get nervous so I'm not perfect..and I've already said that. And I don't need male friends to prove this lol. I study Physics at Imperial. I'm around guys a lot and I know they're funnier and smarter because I CAN SEE IT. It's my opinion anyways. They are so chilled out and calm, I really like being around them. I feel happier. I prefer male company. I wish I could find some now lol
To quote the late, great Chris Finch: "How could I hate women? My mum's one."
On a superficially more serious note, if you're as clever as you think you are try and avoid correcting people (unless you can make a joke of it) and avoid seeming overly eager at the ice-breaking stage, if you're cut from model cloth you could get a bloke alone easier than - I dunno - walking... down a catwalk. If you can get a guy to enthuse about something they enjoy then you're in as sin, and if it's something you share an interest in then great, marry him.

I'm aware this isn't a comprehensive list
Really? Do guys not judge or compare? I want to be as cool and fun as their guy friends. How can I do this?

Ditch one of those oh so sexy Y chromosomes
I never claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread :/. But I said I am special because I really think I am. I'm not bragging, I'm just being honest. Would you like it if I said I thought I was a loser when I don't? Yes, I have social anxiety, I'm insecure around guys and I get nervous so I'm not perfect..and I've already said that. And I don't need male friends to prove this lol. I study Physics at Imperial. I'm around guys a lot and I know they're funnier and smarter because I CAN SEE IT. It's my opinion anyways. They are so chilled out and calm, I really like being around them. I feel happier. I prefer male company. I wish I could find some now lol

I know a good handful of funny, smart and chilled girls. Are you sure you're not letting confirmation bias alter your views on the two genders?

Wait so... you prefer being around men, you feel comfortable in their company, you pretty much study in a male dominated environment, and you still have no friends of the opposite gender?

Let's assume that you really are a special snowflake. Are you absolutely sure you're not being snobby, stuck up, princess-like, have a false sense of entitlement, or any other sort of crippling social issues? I don't think social anxiety alone could cause your situation, but I could be wrong.
Original post by realunited
YOU ARE! Everyone is trying to give u advice and all you do is laugh off honest advice and anybody who is sympathetic to you ...you just reply with "oh help me :'(" ...u claim to be special and a model ...so just go to a f****ing guy and talk...if he doesn't like you ..he doesn't like you can't change that. Grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not laughing off the advice..I'm trying to use everyone's advice but it's still hard for me to feel better about it. I feel intense shyness and awkwardness around any male, no matter what they look like or anything. I just can't even explain it. I'm just trying to make sure that guys are really aren't as scary as I make them out to be..because you guys do seem scary to me lol. I wish I could be more confident. I know I should just go up to a guy and talk to him but It's soooo hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending