The Student Room Group

Do you plan to get married in the future?

How does TSR feel about marriage?

Do you know you definitely plan to get married? Or would you rather live with someone as a partner than a husband/wife?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say I plan to get married because I don't know what fate has in store for me. I would like to get married at some stage though. I'm a little worried about the whole thing, when I've spoken to married women they said its hard work :/ I've heard of partners that change once theres a ring on there finger and that's a concern of mine.

To me I think if you have spent x amount of time with someone, you've been able to compromise and get used to each others ways then this should continue when you are married. I wouldn't want there to be a drastic change in our relationship just because we are husband and wife.
(edited 9 years ago)
Its not a definite ambition of mine- I also don't feel that I necessarily need to marry somebody I love to prove that I love them, although I definitely understand how significant it is. I would definitely like to find love, but I also enjoy the independence associated with being single, so I don't really know what's gonna happen for me.
I would like to get married, most definitely :yep: . But I'm not willing to 'rush' into anything just for the sake of being married. I want to know my partner inside out so I can be completely comfortable in the knowledge that they want to share the rest of their life with me, as well as me wanting to share my life with them :h: .
Original post by phunky_fresh
I wouldn't say I plan to get married because I don't know what fate has in store for me. I would like to get married at some stage though. I'm a little worried about the whole thing, when I've spoken to married women they said its hard work :/ I've heard of partners that change once theres a ring on there finger and that's a concern of mine.

To me I think if you have spent x amount of time with someone, you've been able to compromise and get used to each others ways then this should continue when you are married. I wouldn't want there to be a drastic change in our relationship just because we are husband and wife.

I find it worrying too, more so the older I get! I've had a bf change in the past so I know what that is like but I think it is much less likely as you get older and more set in who you are.

My main fear is just the longevity of it, trusting that someone won't cheat on you over all those years or that you won't just both be dying from boredom!
Reply 5
Yes, I've come round to the idea of marrying the future mother of my children.

I'm probably being a bit misogynist in viewing it partially as a claim of ownership to other males though.
Reply 6
Nah. I probably will, but I'd do it for her rather than for myself.
Nope. I can't stand myself so I wouldn't want to make some poor lass miserable either
Reply 8
The financial consequence of a divorce scares the **** out of me. If I was to marry someone, I would need to know her for 3 years before I make her my gf then another 3-4 years before we get married. Girls seem to change their mind a lot in this day and age and I believe it's important not to fall for her beauty instantly.
No. I'll be alone forever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loloway
The financial consequence of a divorce scares the **** out of me. If I was to marry someone, I would need to know her for 3 years before I make her my gf then another 3-4 years before we get married. Girls seem to change their mind a lot in this day and age and I believe it's important not to fall for her beauty instantly.

In the three years it takes you to decide to make her your girlfriend, she would have probably married someone else in that time!
Original post by Queen Cersei
I find it worrying too, more so the older I get! I've had a bf change in the past so I know what that is like but I think it is much less likely as you get older and more set in who you are.

My main fear is just the longevity of it, trusting that someone won't cheat on you over all those years or that you won't just both be dying from boredom!

I know what you mean. I guess you have to try and keep things interesting in all aspects of the relationship, that being said people cheat for various reasons. *sighs * you just never know
Definitely..I´m 21 an now two years with my girlfriend. We plan to marry but in 5 or 6 years since I want to finish university first and get a job.
For me , it would be weird to live with a woman 30,40 or more years without sharing the same last name.
Original post by Anonymous
I know what you mean. I guess you have to try and keep things interesting in all aspects of the relationship, that being said people cheat for various reasons. *sighs * you just never know

In the three years it takes you to decide to make her your girlfriend, she would have probably married someone else in that time!

I have no idea why my last two replies are Anonymous
I would like to but I am fairly certain it won't happen.
I'd do it if I'd been with someone long enough, and it meant lots to them/would make them happy. Personally though it isn't a burning passion of mine that I have to get married, and the implications of a legal divorce definitely put me off it. I'd hate to marry someone, fall out, have my kids passed around like points, and have to give any of the things I've worked hard to build to someone else just because they got a ring on it. Is it right that you can get agreements before a marriage to prevent that?

It is a gamble. I'm not much of a gambler personality wise, that's much too risky for me so maybe that's why marriage terrifies me!
Reply 17
I am planning not to marry. No point unless both religious.
I feel like I'd like to but I don't think its going to happen.
Over 50% of marriages fail... do you people really want to get married ... seriously in this day and age marriage is joke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending