The Student Room Group

Why cant i get leg cancer?

Why doesn't leg cancer exist.. or arm cancer, nose cancer... foot cancer... fingernail cancer or hair cancer etc..Why always cancer of the insides?
Skin cancer isn't on the insides.
Bone cancer exists though, which you can get in your or arm.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Skin cancer isn't on the insides.

Original post by OU Student
Bone cancer exists though, which you can get in your or arm.

Shut up. I am rigth.
Reply 4
You can get skin cancer or bone cancer, both of which can affect the leg. However, there are no internal organs in your legs.

The better question would be- why don't people ever get heart cancer? It's incredibly rare.
Because a leg is a limb, not a tissue (a type of cell)

Legs are made of many tissues, so if you got cancer in your leg it could be skin, or bone

Is this a troll thread :K:
Reply 7
Original post by Plastic Face
Why doesn't leg cancer exist.. or arm cancer, nose cancer... foot cancer... fingernail cancer or hair cancer etc..Why always cancer of the insides?
Nose cancer - any cancer in the head - must be particularly scary.

One famous victim of nail cancer is Bob Marley, the renowned reggae singer, who died from melanoma on his toenail at the age of 36. :eek:

Despite what the shampoo adverts say, hair is dead so it won't get cancer, but the skin cells that produce it can.
Original post by navarre
You can get skin cancer or bone cancer, both of which can affect the leg. However, there are no internal organs in your legs.

The better question would be- why don't people ever get heart cancer? It's incredibly rare.

i think you don't get hert cancer cause ur heart is always moving .. always beating ... so cells dont have chance to be naughty and stop doing their usual thing... sometimes i think cells get too lazy and think 'omg i dont have anything else to do'... so im gonna divide uncontrollably and cause cancer..
Reply 9
i think you don't get heart cancer because your heart is always moving... always beating ... so cells don't have the chance to be naughty and stop doing their usual thing...
Tumours that affect the heart are very rare. It is more usual for a cancer that started somewhere else in the body to spread to the heart. Apparently.
i think you don't get hert cancer cause ur heart is always moving .. always beating ... so cells dont have chance to be naughty and stop doing their usual thing... sometimes i think cells get too lazy and think 'omg i dont have anything else to do'... so im gonna divide uncontrollably and cause cancer..

you should apply to medical school.
Lol the title reminds me of this:

Can one not get cancer of the muscle?
Reply 13
Original post by KingStannis
Lol the title reminds me of this:

OMG! Non-matching oven gloves! :eek:
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
Can one not get cancer of the muscle?

It's called a Sarcoma :smile:
Original post by Sarky
It's called a Sarcoma :smile:

Logically would there not be cases of leg sarcoma then?
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
Logically would there not be cases of leg sarcoma then?

Yes you can get Sarcoma in your leg but it's not organ specific in a way that say breast cancer is.
It's down to the susceptibility of different cells to mutate. This will be highest in soft tissue, high concentration places of carcinogens and how these enter the body and then take up residence, the rate at which the mutated cells have the ability to reproduce, the access to pathways within the body that allows the cancer cells to spread (lymph system etc.) and areas of the body less protected from UV etc.

So oral and nasal passages, lungs, the stomach, intestines, vital organs. skin etc. will succumb to cancer more readily than extremities because the mutation catalysts have the highest probability of collecting in these places.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sarky
Yes you can get Sarcoma in your leg but it's not organ specific in a way that say breast cancer is.

There are organ specific cancers like Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) which is a smooth muscle only tumour affecting involuntary muscles like that found in the heart and uteris etc.
Reply 19
Original post by uberteknik
There are organ specific cancers like Leiomyosarcoma (LMS) which is a smooth muscle only tumour affecting involuntary muscles like that found in the heart and uteris etc.

True, but that is specific to a type of muscle, not an organ.

Quick Reply

Latest