The Student Room Group

Crossroads with traffic lights...

I need some help with crossroads with traffic lights. So just in case you’re unsure as to what I’m talking about I’ll briefly explain.

So image a normal cross road but when you come up to it you hit traffic lights no matter which side you come from and then they come on in pairs, yours go green and so do the opposite ones.

My problem is that I’m unsure when to go if I was turning right. Because if I look at the people on the opposite side, if two are signalling to my left I’d assume I could go as we won’t cross paths.. But what if I can’t see anyone’s indicators? I don’t want to be too hesitant and would just like some clarification as it’s difficult to read... It’s the only thing that’s stopping me taking my test and I’d love some help! It’s the same with going straight on.. I’m just confused and would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Indicate right and when the lights go green go forward into the box and if traffic is oncoming you wait (in your lane still, tyres facing your direction). if you're going right and the lights are green and a cars waiting to turn it doesn't matter it's your lane, you have right of way and you would go past the waiting car since the left lane is further past what his left lane is (road you're going into), if you get me? Pretty sure it's the same with filter arrows.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CautiousCat
I need some help with crossroads with traffic lights. So just in case you’re unsure as to what I’m talking about I’ll briefly explain.

So image a normal cross road but when you come up to it you hit traffic lights no matter which side you come from and then they come on in pairs, yours go green and so do the opposite ones.

My problem is that I’m unsure when to go if I was turning right. Because if I look at the people on the opposite side, if two are signalling to my left I’d assume I could go as we won’t cross paths.. But what if I can’t see anyone’s indicators? I don’t want to be too hesitant and would just like some clarification as it’s difficult to read... It’s the only thing that’s stopping me taking my test and I’d love some help! It’s the same with going straight on.. I’m just confused and would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

If you are waiting to turn right, it's fine to wait there if no-one is indicating to their left(same way you're going) because its safer for you to wait for a gap rather than pull out infront of someone who may be at a high speed and going straight over.

If they are signalling to your left, that depends if your road and the width of it. If the only cars are turning your left (and no-one going straight/you see a gap big enough), you can go if there is enough space for you to safely turn.

When going straight over, you have the right of way so you can carry on going straight even if people are waiting to turn. But you need to be cautious as some people try to quickly turn if they see a small gap making the car going straight on brake harshly, so be careful with that :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
If you are waiting to turn right, it's fine to wait there if no-one is indicating to their left(same way you're going) because its safer for you to wait for a gap rather than pull out infront of someone who may be at a high speed and going straight over.

If they are signalling to your left, that depends if your road and the width of it. If the only cars are turning your left (and no-one going straight/you see a gap big enough), you can go if there is enough space for you to safely turn.

When going straight over, you have the right of way so you can carry on going straight even if people are waiting to turn. But you need to be cautious as some people try to quickly turn if they see a small gap making the car going straight on brake harshly, so be careful with that :smile:

Its annoying because its a busy crossroad and about 10-15 cars all end up in opposing lines as it turns green and its a nightmare if turning right because I never know when I can go.. So from what ive read here if I want to turn right I have to wait for a few of them to be going to my left in order for me to go? Because generally if they turn to my right (their left) I cant go because the cars behind are difficult to see and therefore its dangerous to go :frown: its so confusing!
Reply 4

You have right of way up until the point you cross their path, so if you was in the middle of the crossroads (remember the front of your car will be directing towards your new lane) you would be on the inside of each-other.

If the lights go red, you're going to get a chance to go, since the traffic light from oncoming traffic goes red (your gap) before the traffic to your right or left goes green.

I think the second image means if the cars blocking you from positioning in the middle to go right then hang back? P.S. I'm a learner too, we'll figure this out!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by AntW161
You have right of way up until the point you cross their path, so if you was in the middle of the crossroads (remember the front of your car will be directing towards your new lane) you would be on the inside of each-other.

Where I do mine, there are about 10 cars behind one another and so if the opposing car goes quickly, the one behind can quickly go straight forward and therefore its too dangerous for me to go. Im a learner and therefore can't really match the speed of experienced drivers. I don't know if im just not understanding it very well or what :frown:
Its annoying because its a busy crossroad and about 10-15 cars all end up in opposing lines as it turns green and its a nightmare if turning right because I never know when I can go.. So from what ive read here if I want to turn right I have to wait for a few of them to be going to my left in order for me to go? Because generally if they turn to my right (their left) I cant go because the cars behind are difficult to see and therefore its dangerous to go :frown: its so confusing!

if you cannot see, just wait. I've failed a test because of that. I was waiting to turn right and there was a lot of cars waiting to turn left. No-one was going straight over at that point and just as I started to go, someone came speeding over going straight on and I didn't see it properly because of the huge line of cars waiting to turn left. My instructor told me that if you can't see, just wait as it shows the examiner you are being safe.

You don't have to wait for a few of them to turn left. You just wait until there is a gap large enough for you to go.
Original post by AntW161

If the lights go red, you're going to get a chance to go, since the traffic light from oncoming traffic goes red (your gap) before the traffic to your right or left goes green.

With the right of way, I was talking about when you are going straight on and not turning.
Reply 7
I've just seen a video and understand this box that Ant is talking about. Where I am, they are single roads and not duel roads coming into the crossroad so this box doesn't exist
I've just seen a video and understand this box that Ant is talking about. Where I am, they are single roads and not duel roads coming into the crossroad so this box doesn't exist

What does your instructor tell you about it?
My advice would be to wait until you can see clearly a gap for you to go. Even if that means waiting until the traffic lights change (from my experiences)
Reply 9
So this is a photo of the exact cross road.. where you see cars, imagine 15 as it gets that bad! its one lane and I just want to make sure! So does what's been said here still apply? As most informational videos online are about two lane crossroads.
The dots are traffic lights and the line is the right turn I leep messing up
What does your instructor tell you about it?
My advice would be to wait until you can see clearly a gap for you to go. Even if that means waiting until the traffic lights change (from my experiences)

He says wait for a convenient time but its hard to judge that and I'm just confused and want to go into my next lesson with more knowledge and get it right :frown: and I appreciate your help tinkerbell :smile:
He says wait for a convenient time but its hard to judge that and I'm just confused and want to go into my next lesson with more knowledge and get it right :frown: and I appreciate your help tinkerbell :smile:

I echo the advice given above. What I usually do is signal my intentions as early as required so everyone knows your intentions. You can then position yourself slightly to the right (but remaining within your lane, of course) for your turn ahead of the line at the lights as this way you can try and allow traffic going straight on to continue if they can/require too.

You have right of way until you cross another car's path, or your path is obstructed (e.g by parked cars). You must wait until there is a sufficient enough gap for you to safely complete the right turn and continue without causing oncoming traffic to change speed or direction as a result. On a busy road and/or at busy times that might mean waiting until the lights have changed to red again, then you go before the other traffic moves. There's usually enough delay to allow for this.

At the end of the day, ask for your instructors opinion on this matter. They will know the correct answer. It's best to ask then not know for when you come and have to deal with it on your own!

I understand, I struggled with that too. I just found it helpful to practise them a lot so you learn what gap is large enough for you to go. I would always wait until there was a quite large gap to go so I felt comfortable enough that I have enough space
You're welcome :smile:
Reply 13
You're probably thinking about what other road users are doing (causing mishap), as long as you keep to your lane, signal right, wait if there's a buildup, the lights will eventually go red, in which you can go as your path will more than likely be clear.

Edit when I say they'll go red and you'll go, it's not illegal, you're already committed, go to flow.
[video="youtube;LqtPvDyBSpE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtPvDyBSpE[/video]

Same rules apply, learn about the filter arrows too. Green means go, amber means proceed if safe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
So this is a photo of the exact cross road.. where you see cars, imagine 15 as it gets that bad! its one lane and I just want to make sure! So does what's been said here still apply? As most informational videos online are about two lane crossroads.
The dots are traffic lights and the line is the right turn I leep messing up

I then imagine you'd stop before crossing their path due to it's size, stop with your right signal on at the point were your arrow you drew starts to bend, that way you won't block them, when there's a buildup, wait until the people going straight on or THEIR left make a gap. Don't worry about the people going TO THEIR right (positioning/indicator) they won't cross your path judging from the picture. Practice it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks!

The proper and logical way to do it is simply to stay in lane. If you think about it or draw a diagram of it you will find you and the oncoming car "wrap around" each other and drive around each other's rear ends. This is called offside-to-offside turning.

What is most common is nearside-to-nearside turning, which is where both cars pass across the front of each other. Obviously this is more dangerous, but it is I believe acceptable unless road markings tell you otherwise.

Generally the more marked and complicated the crossroads is the more likely you ought to use offside-to-offside.

Diagrams! http://www.burystedmundsdrivingschool.net/learning-to-drive-crossroads.html
Original post by AntW161
You're probably thinking about what other road users are doing (causing mishap), as long as you keep to your lane, signal right, wait if there's a buildup, the lights will eventually go red, in which you can go as your path will more than likely be clear.

Edit when I say they'll go red and you'll go, it's not illegal, you're already committed, go to flow.
[video="youtube;LqtPvDyBSpE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqtPvDyBSpE[/video]

Same rules apply, learn about the filter arrows too. Green means go, amber means proceed if safe.

Note here that all the green light is telling you is you are allowed to cross the stop line. Once you've done that you're in the mixer, the traffic lights don't apply to you any more, and you only need to worry about finding a gap in the direction you want to go. The green arrow is just an extra guide for those obeying the green light which when it's on tells them they don't even need to wait for a gap in the traffic passing on their right.

Basically when you are looking for a gap here you are doing the same thing as offside-to-offside turning (although the other cars may not be turning themselves, it's the same thing: you're making sure to drive around the back of them).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by scrotgrot
Note here that all the green light is telling you is you are allowed to cross the stop line. Once you've done that you're in the mixer, the traffic lights don't apply to you any more, and you only need to worry about finding a gap in the direction you want to go. The green arrow is just an extra guide for those obeying the green light which when it's on tells them they don't even need to wait for a gap in the traffic passing on their right.

Basically when you are looking for a gap here you are doing the same thing as offside-to-offside turning (although the other cars may not be turning themselves, it's the same thing: you're making sure to drive around the back of them).

Yeah what I said is it's your right of way there's no need for you to stay stopped, progress on your lane and position yourself ready for your turn (not entering their lane) - until you see a gap, if you see a car starting to face to your left and slow, and there's no other cars coming, go for it. Basic rule here, don't cause other road users to HAVE TO slow down/change direction i.e. pulling out on someone.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending