The Student Room Group

Are the old concepts of love, commitment and relationships dead?

Scroll to see replies

Love, commitment, and relationship are parts of evolution. They have been changing. Because many factors change. Your great grandma doesn't know lesbians. Your great grandpa doesn't know gays. And both of them don't know things about transsexuals or about orgies.

In the future your kids could marry handsome or sexy androids. We can always see mutants in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by The Reasoner
I didn't say it was a fact but it's things i've noticed based on my own personal observations. :smile: Also in most cases it was women that actually wanted the open relationship rather than men, debunking another myth that men are more promiscuous than women when we know that it's in fact the other way around.

personal observations in no way count as "debunking". You are claiming that this is a big and inevitable trend in society while not backing up your claims. I mean have you even looked at the results of your own poll? The people voting are the in the age range you are claiming has 50% open relationships, and 83% disagree with you.
Original post by skunkboy
Love, commitment, and relationship are parts of evolution. They have been changing. Because many factors change. Your great grandma doesn't know lesbians. Your great grandpa doesn't know gays. And both of them don't know things about transsexuals or about orgies.

In the future your kids could marry handsome or sexy androids. We can always see mutants in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You speak a lot of sense, it's a shame the posters in here can't see what we're saying. The dynamics of relationships are changing by the day, more and more people are starting to practice alternative lifestyles. Most relationships these days are based on sex and not true love and commitment. Women are responsible for this change in dynamics. Men are being dragged along with them in order to adapt and still be able to mate with women, but theres no love there anymore. We're at war, I only see this getting worse as the genders grow further apart.
It’s not that people suddenly say they don’t want monogamous relationships; it’s that people’s lifestyles don’t reflect this. I grew up around generic privileged White people (White girls) and these people have no real struggle, they could probably choose not to work and still lead a high standard of life just by marrying some geeky guy with a good job who would never put them in their place. So they have no basic needs which are not met; the general dynamic of their friendship group is based variety addiction, provided you are not totally ugly and lacking confidence, you could **** each one of them (even if they have boyfriends...), but next week they will be ****ing someone else it’s like that song, she’s not yours, it’s just your turn. It’s all cool, she has every right to choose that life for herself, but I don’t believe that a woman can come out of that life and not have her capacity for a real depth of love, pretty much demolished.

These girls will probably get married at some point, but they will all miss the buzz of the old days, they will not love their husbands like they loved their teenage years and early twenties.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Some of you guys got a point. But its not that bad out there. There are still some women/girls out there with good morals and are marriable. You just need to get out more to notice them.
But there are some people who stay single, go their own way and might have casual relationships.
Original post by yo radical one
It’s not that people suddenly say they don’t want monogamous relationships; it’s that people’s lifestyles don’t reflect this. I grew up around generic privileged White people (White girls) and these people have no real struggle, they could probably choose not to work and still lead a high standard of life just by marrying some geeky guy with a good job who would never put them in their place. So they have no basic needs which are not met; the general dynamic of their friendship group is based variety addiction, provided you are not totally ugly and lacking confidence, you could **** each one of them (even if they have boyfriends...), but next week they will be ****ing someone else it’s like that song, she’s not yours, it’s just your turn. It’s all cool, she has every right to choose that life for herself, but I don’t believe that a woman can come out of that life and not have her capacity for a real depth of love, pretty much demolished.

These girls will probably get married at some point, but they will all miss the buzz of the old days, they will not love their husbands like they loved their teenage years and early twenties.

Spoiler

Great post, do you believe the vast majority of women are now in open relationships and seek multiple sexual partners rather than the old one of one relationships that used to be the majority? Do we see the vast majority of relationships in the future being non monogamous and open as I believe most women now don't want love or commitment, they're the ones who cheat more than men in monogamous relationships and they're the ones that are initiating open relationships and polyamory more than men. It seems women just don't care about one on one relationships anymore, they have lost the ability to love and commit to just one man, I see it all around me including on here but yet the men are still blind to it I don't understand?
Original post by Naveed-7
Some of you guys got a point. But its not that bad out there. There are still some women/girls out there with good morals and are marriable. You just need to get out more to notice them.
But there are some people who stay single, go their own way and might have casual relationships.

When you say some, you are maybe talking about 10% of women. Even those would happily be in an open relationship if their boyfriends let them.
I honestly believe women today are not capable or true love or commitment, most of them seek out multiple sex partners and don't want to settle down with just one man. Instead they compare themselves to bonobos and cluster shag, disposing one man after the other. Even the ones who are dating one man end up cheating or disposing the man when another they deem better comes along. I've heard a lot of men say "She's not yours, it's just your turn" and I think that sums it up perfectly. Also theres a reason 70% of divorces are initiated by women. I read a great article on this subject which i'll post here. Remember guys she's not yours, it's just your turn.

http://dopacetic.blogspot.co.uk/2007/08/its-not-your-girl-its-just-your-turn.html

Oh, oh. It’s happened. There’s been a break-up, and now your fellow ultimate player is no longer together with his hot girlfriend. Which means only one thing to the predators circling her chum-infested aura: the hunt is on.

You’re resisting, though. You’ve always thought she was cute. Busty, great smile, maybe she’s got some dimples you find irresistible or you have a thing for the way she moves when she’s playing disc. Because, of course, she plays. You all play. And maybe, you and him play together. That’s the sticking point, isn’t it? You’re not quite sure if you should go after her, after all, how will he feel? You’re not like, super close to him, but you’ve hung out. You kinda like the guy. And lately, since the break-up, he’s been looking a little forlorn.

You hem and haw for a while, unsure of whether to go for it or not. Meanwhile, other guys are cozying up, taking test bites to see if they can approach for the kill, but so far she’s politely resisting. It’s been too soon. But at the very next disc party the ex checks out early, heartsick from watching dudes strike at his former girl all night. And somewhere between the third Long Island and the fourth Jaeger Bomb, you say "sod it” and approach.

Her face is flush with the new attention, her complexion rosy, her quivering smile betraying her own mix of rum and shots. As you approach, Timbaland’s "Way I Are" blares from the house speakers and you blend bodies and start to grind. It’s fun, it’s comfortable, you’ve known each other since she was a freshman and you’ve gone out in big groups before. The song is bangin’, as they say, and the flirting is fun.

And as your cheeks get closer and the Malibu bouquet of her breath whispers down your spine, you remember old John Lyly’s Eupheus: the rules of fair play do not apply in love and war. Love, in these circles, is a math equation whose range is limited by the number of available mates at any one time. There are only so many hims and hers. And with so much time spent around disc and its people, meeting others outside the scene is tough. It requires effort. So as Timbaland fades to Rihanna and you begin to make out, looking for an appropriate exit to quit the evening and find comfort in each other, you tell yourself the harsh reality of our dating scene:

It’s not your girl, it’s just your turn.

And if it wasn’t your Schwinn she’s precariously trying to balance on as you coast downhill to her place, it’d be someone else’s. You know that. The ex knows that. And somewhere in her subconscious, she knows as well. That’s why he had to leave the party, that’s why you had to act, and that’s why you’ll remember bitterly those sweet beginnings of your relationship the day you jet out of a club with your throat in knots and her arms wrapped around some buddy of yours. It’s tough. But you’ll get used to it. After all, another couple is looking like they’ve hit a rough patch, and you and she have always been close…
(edited 9 years ago)
Any opinions are welcome.
I feel so sorry for you OP. I genuinely am. I don't know who she is but she must have hurt you real bad :frown:

I hope you recover, for your sanity. I don't want another elliot rodgers case on our hands.
Is that all you have to say? You can't defend any of the points I've made and i'm clearly not the only man who feels this way about the women of today, no need to attack me.
Is that all you have to say? You can't defend any of the points I've made and i'm clearly not the only man who feels this way about the women of today, no need to attack me.

This isn't a debate, don't kid yourself. Despite all the evidence stacked against your points, you keep repeating 'that is what I believe' or 'I really doubt the number of open relationships is as low as 4%' and 'its obvious because my circle of friends and men I've spoken to'... That is not evidence. That is simply anecdotes. Anecdotes with no actual statistical basis and if it has no statistical basis, I'm not interested. It doesn't count because someone like you who doesn't like women will be friends with other men who think the same way.
I have enough evidence to suggest what i'm saying is right, I have literally studied this subject for the last 2 years which is why I can come to this conclusion. Of course I don't expect you as a woman to agree with my points, but i've had plenty of women who have been honest with me and even they admit they are cheats and far more promiscuous than men despite soceity telling us it's the other way around. I'm basically trying to help men understand the truth about womens nature, love and commitment is dead and it's women who've killed it.
Except even men disagreed with your points but according to you, that doesn't count does it?

Anyway, the vast majority of the world will still enjoy fulfilling and loving monogamous relationships but you can stick to ranting on the internet if you want.
Goodluck to the rest of the world, they obviously don't see what's coming. All those relationships will end up with men with broken hearts and broken homes, whilst I remain single and happy. :smile:
Great post, do you believe the vast majority of women are now in open relationships and seek multiple sexual partners rather than the old one of one relationships that used to be the majority? Do we see the vast majority of relationships in the future being non monogamous and open as I believe most women now don't want love or commitment, they're the ones who cheat more than men in monogamous relationships and they're the ones that are initiating open relationships and polyamory more than men. It seems women just don't care about one on one relationships anymore, they have lost the ability to love and commit to just one man, I see it all around me including on here but yet the men are still blind to it I don't understand?

Love is a hot, dynamic emotion rather than a lukewarm, passive one, if she doesn't want to have filthy, sweaty, disgusting sex with you before covered in your DNA, she doesn't love you. Whenever I hear that stereotype that a guy thinks he is so lucky or he won, because the girl chose him in the end, he is not lucky, what he has is not love. His greatest victory, getting what he thinks is the love of his life, to his woman is the end of her happiness, the end of her life.

What you have described, is not something this radical one will ever experience...
Original post by yo radical one
Love is a hot, dynamic emotion rather than a lukewarm, passive one, if she doesn't want to have filthy, sweaty, disgusting sex with you before covered in your DNA, she doesn't love you. Whenever I hear that stereotype that a guy thinks he is so lucky or he won, because the girl chose him in the end, he is not lucky, what he has is not love. His greatest victory, getting what he thinks is the love of his life, to his woman is the end of her happiness, the end of her life.

What you have described, is not something this radical one will ever experience...

I agree women simply do not love men, they don't know how to love or feel love and the vast majority of women either cheat on their man or end up leaving them for another man. No matter what it happens at some point. As the saying goes she's not yours it's just your turn. Would like to get more views on this as I honestly believe we have uncovered the true nature of women and relationships here. Why does a wife always seem to have a younger lover after being married for a few years? I read it all the time in the agony aunt columns "my lover and my husband" is always the most common story. Maybe just maybe women don't know how to stay faithful to one man, a sad reality all men seeking commitment or "the one" have to face.
I believe feminism has now taken over and men and womens relations with eachother are at boiling point.]

Get off tumblr for a few days and go outside.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Get off tumblr for a few days and go outside.

I do on a daily basis, and I see it all the time my friend. Most women cheat on their partners or leave them for another man, it seems they become fed up very quickly and dispose of the man they're with as soon as somebody they deem better comes along. Then they repeat the process. As the old saying goes she's not yours, it's just your turn. Enjoy her while you can because she'll be gone one day, enjoying another man whilst you're left with a broken heart. It's time you joined the que, when will it be your turn?
I do on a daily basis, and I see it all the time my friend. Most women cheat on their partners or leave them for another man, it seems they become fed up very quickly and dispose of the man they're with as soon as somebody they deem better comes along. Then they repeat the process. As the old saying goes she's not yours, it's just your turn. Enjoy her while you can because she'll be gone one day, enjoying another man whilst you're left with a broken heart. It's time you joined the que, when will it be your turn?

The fact that you can't accurately gauge the general relationship between men and women as a whole makes me concerned that everything else you're saying is utter crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending