The Student Room Group

What do you want from a relationship?

Theidea of what a ‘good’ relationship looks like has changed a lot over time.

It can take a lot of time and effort to find someone who ticks every box that you want in someone and it can put a lot of pressure on both partners. You may find that someone doesn't tick all of the boxes to begin with as these things may take time in the first stages of the relationship of getting to know each other.

What do you look for and want in a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only firm thing I look for in a relationship is that we both want the same when it comes to major things in life. For me its important to be on the same page when it comes to things like you both do or don't want kids, both do or don't want to get married, both do or don't want to live together etc. You can't really give or take on those, especially the kids one so you both have to be in the same boat as it wouldn't be fair to force one into doing something they don't want to do or forcing one to have to go without.
blowjobs tbh.
a long term partner who doesn't criticize my business potential or options and likes being spontaneous
Reply 4
Somebody who wants marriage and children.
Somebody prepared to let me bang on about politics and the weather - no interest required.
Somebody who likes who I am, even my ego.
Character traits (caring, loyal).
Friendship, happiness, love...
Someone similar to me.
If they're pretty and decent to talk to that's all I'm really after.
Reply 8
Original post by Infraspecies
Someone similar to me.

I think I agree with this - it's nice to have someone similar to you to share all your mutual interests etc. :smile:
Reply 9
Honesty would be important for me, cause if the other person can't tell the truth then whats the point in trusting them.
Company, that's all

I get really lonely sometimes
Reply 11
I want many things

I want marriage and children

I want intimacy and companionship

If it's just casual then I just want sex
Someone who likes quzzing, It's so great - we can watch a lot of shows, go to pub quizzes, improve eachother's knowledge etc. Another thing is that we click - either at the start or throughout. And above all, someone who makes me happy. :love:
It's already been covered above. Trust, commitment, love and chemistry. Just someone to share the little things with. We don't have to have everything in common but mutual interest in some things would be nice :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Mainly someone to help financially support me and my future children. It helps if they are attractive and confident too though.
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
I think I agree with this - it's nice to have someone similar to you to share all your mutual interests etc. :smile:

I suppose I more meant attitude wise, rather than interests.
Friendship, spontaneity, happy bedroom times (oral from both sides is an entry requirement), lots of cuddles :biggrin: And love eventually. If I start loving them as much as grilled bacon and coffee we'll have something good going. And if they love these things too, even better.

Overall, if I have my best friend who is also the love of my life, it's really the only thing that matters.
Reply 17
Someone with values and beliefs that align with my own. Getting into a relationship with a person who is "different" may seem fun and novel at first but it isn't a good idea if you want a long-lasting relationship.
Reply 18
For me Neil Gaiman (an author I care for very much) put this elegantly:

Neil Gaiman
“I really don't know what "I love you" means.
I think it means "Don't leave me here alone.”

I was thinking about what he could have meant by this quote very recently. To me, it's not about 'sad' loneliness, but when you meet someone you connect with very strongly, you feel like you never have to be fully alone with anything again. You've got someone who understands without explanation. That is the feeling I treasure most from a relationship. That applies to my close family too really, albeit in a different way.

Physical is important too, of course.
Happiness :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending