The Student Room Group

BBC Caught out twisting stories

Scroll to see replies

I would say that the BBC is biased but not towards the left or the right wing. They are, quite clearly, biased against Jeremy Corbyn - their focusing on him was clearly putting a spin on the idea that he would make a terrible leader before he was even elected - but they've also been really biased against UKIP, especially in the run up to the last election. I think it's more a determination to stick to the status quo and the stories that they've been passing off for years - anyone who goes against that, no matter which side of the political spectrum they're on, ends up in the firing line for stuff being spun about them.

If only they'd stop banging on about the same old things though, I feel like the news is a repeat each time I catch sight of it.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The bbc tends to get criticised for being biased by everybody. Conservatives claim it's biased to the left. The left claim it's biased to the right. Palestinian claim it's biased towards Israelis, Israelis claim it's biased towards Palestinians.

I tend to find anybody making claims that the bbc is biased tend to be closed minded fools.

What I tend to see are occasional incidents of supposed bias that goes many different ways at different times, so at various points each side can pick out an incident and use it to claim bias against them.

I wouldn't say the BBC is biased, just that occasionally there'll be problems with a particular article or report that do need sorting out, but aren't really evidence of a conspiracy. This one for example just seemed to be a mistake rather than a deliberate organised attempt. It doesn't have an overall bias in one direction, and nothing deliberate.
Reply 22
Original post by looseseal
Saw this yesterday - it's absolutely brilliant :laugh:.

If anyone wants to claim the media is being anywhere near impartial then they're deluded - even the supposedly "left-wing" BBC is trying every trick in the book to bring Corbyn down.

The BBC is supposed to be neutral, so bang on centre. It's Corbyn hate and emotional blackmail over refugees is clearly revealing its true colours as a centre left media organisation. The ultimate Blairite media company. Followed closely by Channel 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that fact that there are people on this thread arguing whether the BBC are left-wing or right-wing indicates the BBC is overall doing a good job of impartiality.
Original post by justag
The BBC is supposed to be neutral, so bang on centre. It's Corbyn hate and emotional blackmail over refugees is clearly revealing its true colours as a centre left media organisation. The ultimate Blairite media company. Followed closely by Channel 4.

How do you define 'centre' though? That's in the eye of the beholder. 'Centre' may be 'in between two extreme positions', but that may not be the truth. 'Centre' may mean 'the truth', but that may offend someone whose 'truth' is different.

Centre and impartiality are terms that do not mean the BBC doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities. Ultimately it can only attempt to ensure everything it reports is factual and relevant. I don't claim the BBC always lives up to that, but compared to Sky, it's a paragon of virtue.
Reply 25
Original post by gladders
How do you define 'centre' though? That's in the eye of the beholder. 'Centre' may be 'in between two extreme positions', but that may not be the truth. 'Centre' may mean 'the truth', but that may offend someone whose 'truth' is different.

Centre and impartiality are terms that do not mean the BBC doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities. Ultimately it can only attempt to ensure everything it reports is factual and relevant. I don't claim the BBC always lives up to that, but compared to Sky, it's a paragon of virtue.

Sky isn't licence fee funded, so they can do whatever they want.

Yes left or right wing is subjective sometimes, but the BBC have been blatantly biased against Corbyn and towards refugees. Regardless of left or right wing, the BBCs reporting is meant to be just that - reporting, minimising as much editorial bias as possible. Recently they've barely been bothering. That is what I oppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BigItch
That is David Icke, he is an idiot do not believe anythinb hd tells you the reptilian elite is a con so he can make hundreds of thousands a year from a bull**** story.There are some which really convince me the loose change author convinced me that 9/11 was not what the ifficial story stated it to be. Conspiracy theories i actually believe are
Kennedy Assasination sealed deal official story impossible

911 official story riddled with lies
I also believe freemasons beyond the 33rd degree potentially have more power then your normal person.

How exactly is it impossible? The official explanation actually works perfectly...

You're also almost certainly wrong about 9/11 (let me guess, jet fuel can't melt steel?)

Anyone thinking the BBC sits left or right is well off base - if you're far left it'll look right wing, if you're far right it looks left, thats a problem of your perspective, not the organisation - it does a very good job of being neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Sky isn't licence fee funded, so they can do whatever they want.

Yes, which is the price we pay, unfortunately.

Yes left or right wing is subjective sometimes, but the BBC have been blatantly biased against Corbyn and towards refugees. Regardless of left or right wing, the BBCs reporting is meant to be just that - reporting, minimising as much editorial bias as possible. Recently they've barely been bothering. That is what I oppose.

Well, this is the problem. I don't think their reporting has been exemplary to be sure, but on the whole I think they have been rather balanced. They haven't accused him of anything and no tirades, but they are reporting on media reactions. The BBC would look rather peculiar if it failed to report on the great media interest, even if that media interest (such as the non-singing of the anthem) is pretty stupid.

Count your blessings: as imperfect as the BBC's impartiality may be, and I think it's doing as good a job as fallible humans can, we may be making the best the enemy of the good. Without the BBC there wouldn't even be any attempt by anybody at impartiality.
Reply 28
Yes, which is the price we pay, unfortunately.

Well, this is the problem. I don't think their reporting has been exemplary to be sure, but on the whole I think they have been rather balanced. They haven't accused him of anything and no tirades, but they are reporting on media reactions. The BBC would look rather peculiar if it failed to report on the great media interest, even if that media interest (such as the non-singing of the anthem) is pretty stupid.

Count your blessings: as imperfect as the BBC's impartiality may be, and I think it's doing as good a job as fallible humans can, we may be making the best the enemy of the good. Without the BBC there wouldn't even be any attempt by anybody at impartiality.

But Sky don't have nearly the influence the BBC does.

We shouldn't be grateful for the BBC, as we're paying for it through no choice of our own. They owe the public a service to report news in as unbiased a fashion as possible, to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

The BBC know they're not being impartial yet make no attempt to rectify this. Run by centre left liberals, they feel as if they have the right to force their views on the public. The BBC being a publicly funded monopolistic broadcaster means they have a duty to be impartial and don't have the luxury of being biased like Sky can. The BBC are failing miserably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
But Sky don't have nearly the influence the BBC does.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

We shouldn't be grateful for the BBC, as we're paying for it through no choice of our own. They owe the public a service to report news in as unbiased a fashion as possible, to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

The BBC know they're not being impartial yet make no attempt to rectify this. Run by centre left liberals, they feel as if they have the right to force their views on the public. The BBC being a publicly funded monopolistic broadcaster means they have a duty to be impartial and don't have the luxury of being biased like Sky can. The BBC are failing miserably.

And yet I hear plenty of left-liberals who accuse the BBC of being dominated by the Tories. I think that's a suggestion it's doing a hard job very well.
Reply 30
You have GOT to be kidding me.

And yet I hear plenty of left-liberals who accuse the BBC of being dominated by the Tories. I think that's a suggestion it's doing a hard job very well.

Who the hell watches Sky news unless you're a sky subscriber? Even then you'll watch BBC news too. BBC has a far wider reach than Sky in this country.

You're not understanding my point. Nobody should be criticising the BBC of anything in an ideal world. Of course, that's not humanly achievable but they should be making the attempt not to influence reporting with their own opinions. They're not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Who the hell watches Sky news unless you're a sky subscriber? Even then you'll watch BBC news too. BBC has a far wider reach than Sky in this country.

Why should that matter? People might sign up to Sky for their sports channels rather than their news. It doesn't mean Sky should therefore be given a free pass to conduct sloppy reporting.

You're not understanding my point. Nobody should be criticising the BBC of anything in an ideal world. Of course, that's not humanly achievable but they should be making the attempt not to influence reporting with their own opinions. They're not.

Well, I don't get the impression they are. I find the BBC does a fairly good job of reporting on other people's opinions, but otherwise makes a decent job of incorporating differing points of view insofar as those differing points of view are commonly held.
Original post by looseseal
Saw this yesterday - it's absolutely brilliant :laugh:.

If anyone wants to claim the media is being anywhere near impartial then they're deluded - even the supposedly "left-wing" BBC is trying every trick in the book to bring Corbyn down.

BBC spend everyday trying to discredit UKIP yet you lefties say nothing. They try it on Corbyn and you are up in arms. Hypocrisy at its best. You don't mind them twisting stories when it suits your left wing agenda.
Reply 33
Why should that matter? People might sign up to Sky for their sports channels rather than their news. It doesn't mean Sky should therefore be given a free pass to conduct sloppy reporting.

Well, I don't get the impression they are. I find the BBC does a fairly good job of reporting on other people's opinions, but otherwise makes a decent job of incorporating differing points of view insofar as those differing points of view are commonly held.

In regards to influence, the amount of people who watch Sky/BBC very much matters, obviously.

As a privately funded corporation, Sky can do what it wants - it's the free market. The BBC, however, cannot as it is publicly funded.

You've obviously not been paying attention recently. I've already stated their handling of the refugee crisis is very one sided, highlighting the plight of the refugees but not acknowledging the fact they chose to trek through Europe rather than stay in the first or even second safe country they got to. And don't even get me started about their blatant dislike for Corbyn.

Other news organisations are allowed to express their own views - the BBC are not. I've explained this so many times now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lmao :rofl:
Original post by justag
In regards to influence, the amount of people who watch Sky/BBC very much matters, obviously.

As a privately funded corporation, Sky can do what it wants - it's the free market. The BBC, however, cannot as it is publicly funded.

You've obviously not been paying attention recently. I've already stated their handling of the refugee crisis is very one sided, highlighting the plight of the refugees but not acknowledging the fact they chose to trek through Europe rather than stay in the first or even second safe country they got to. And don't even get me started about their blatant dislike for Corbyn.

Other news organisations are allowed to express their own views - the BBC are not. I've explained this so many times now.

And you're still wrong. Yes, the other corporations can express their own views, and the BBC has a statutory responsibility to impartiality. But you haven't demonstrated terribly well that the BBC has abandoned that responsibility, merely objected that they haven't given *your* view sufficient credence.

I suspect Sky would run a line about 'why haven't the refugees stayed put in Turkey?' and keep asking that question. While the BBC would ask that question, but then run an article on 'here's the reasons we have heard why they don't stay put in Turkey'.

You can call that bias, if you like, because they don't simply jump to your conclusion, but to me, that's an admirable attempt to get at the truth.
The BBC is certainly not left wing. They refer to Corbyn as left wing yet never refer to Cameron as right wing...

Despite the fact Cameron has just slashed workers rights and cut 4.6 billion from the poorest in society he's portrayed as a centrist by the BBC.
Reply 37
And you're still wrong. Yes, the other corporations can express their own views, and the BBC has a statutory responsibility to impartiality. But you haven't demonstrated terribly well that the BBC has abandoned that responsibility, merely objected that they haven't given *your* view sufficient credence.

I suspect Sky would run a line about 'why haven't the refugees stayed put in Turkey?' and keep asking that question. While the BBC would ask that question, but then run an article on 'here's the reasons we have heard why they don't stay put in Turkey'.

You can call that bias, if you like, because they don't simply jump to your conclusion, but to me, that's an admirable attempt to get at the truth.

You're not demonstrating that the BBC are reporting 'truth'. I've given examples for my points, you've failed to state any. That's shoddy debating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Bornblue
The BBC is certainly not left wing. They refer to Corbyn as left wing yet never refer to Cameron as right wing...

Despite the fact Cameron has just slashed workers rights and cut 4.6 billion from the poorest in society he's portrayed as a centrist by the BBC.

I don't agree with your first statement. But the rest is spot on.

A classic example of BBC editorial bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
The BBC is supposed to be neutral

No it isn't, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the organisation.

It's supposed to be balanced, which is very different to neutral.
They can show views or programmes which skew one way, which they will balance by showing views or programmes that skew another way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending