The Student Room Group

fast metabolism - how to gain weight?

Scroll to see replies

I'd still try and keep it healthy.

Even if you need cals you should stay away from sugary stuff. There are other health impacts to consider.

If you need or cals a good peanut butter will do but remember to keep it diverse.

You could just add an extra portion at the dinner table.

I used to order two main meals when eating out with friends lol.
Original post by howtobealady
the tips i find online haven't made a difference. anyone else find it difficult gaining weight?
I could eat a big mac with a L milkshake + cheeseburger and fries and wouldn't gain a lot of weight. :s-smilie:

Could be hyperthyroidism? If you've tried eating more and exercising less etc, go to your doctor to check it isn't anything hormonal if you're worried about your weight
Mate I eat all the time, I eat a lot

I can guarantee, you don't. This coming from someone who used to be in your position. Snacking on crisps and chocolate bars all day isn't going to add up to the total calories required to gain weight, likewise eating a large Big Mac meal isn't automatically going to make you gain weight if your total weekly caloric intake isn't high enough.

If you made a note of everything you've eaten and drank each day, then counted up the calories, chances are it's not much. When I decided to start lifting and gain weight a few years ago I put myself on 2500 calories a day, which to the average overweight person is nothing but I was struggling to fit it in every day at first! This coming from "that guy that eats what he wants and never gains weight" just because I always had sweets in my bag at college and had the odd fast food meal :lol:

Fast metabolisms do exist, but most underweight people aren't eating enough. If it gets to the point that you're shovelling 4000 calories day in, day out and still nothing is happening then go have your thyroid checked, but the first port of call is to assess your diet.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I can guarantee, you don't. This coming from someone who used to be in your position. Snacking on crisps and chocolate bars all day isn't going to add up to the total calories required to gain weight, likewise eating a large Big Mac meal isn't automatically going to make you gain weight if your total weekly caloric intake isn't high enough.

If you made a note of everything you've eaten and drank each day, then counted up the calories, chances are it's not much. When I decided to start lifting and gain weight a few years ago I put myself on 2500 calories a day, which to the average overweight person is nothing but I was struggling to fit it in every day at first! This coming from "that guy that eats what he wants and never gains weight" just because I always had sweets in my bag at college and had the odd fast food meal :lol:

Fast metabolisms do exist, but most underweight people aren't eating enough. If it gets to the point that you're shovelling 4000 calories day in, day out and still nothing is happening then go have your thyroid checked, but the first port of call is to assess your diet.

Yep, that's exactly me. chocolate, popcorn and chicken and chips for college. i think this 'fast metoblism' runs in the family aha. Thanks for the tip.. need to start counting + eating proper breakfast :smile:
Yep, that's exactly me. chocolate, popcorn and chicken and chips for college. i think this 'fast metoblism' runs in the family aha. Thanks for the tip.. need to start counting + eating proper breakfast :smile:

Yeah that's pretty much why you have families that are all fat and others that are all slim - eating habits are passed down through the family. You rarely get a family that are genetically fat, it's significantly more likely that the family has historically made a habit of having larger-than-average portions as well as having a preference for foods that just happen to be calorie-dense, and the children grow up eating a certain way and as humans we generally don't change the eating habits we've adopted unless a very conscious effort is made to make some changes. The opposite is true for slim families.

Your eating habits can certainly be changed, though - as I said earlier, 2500 a day was a struggle for me at first. I'd need more than that just to maintain my weight now that I'm carrying a lot more muscular weight, and when I'm just eating to maintain for whatever reason I'm often left wanting for food by the end of the day, and also consciously choose foods that aren't overly high in calories apart from the weekend takeaway.

There are some really easy ways to get more calories, such as adding healthy oils such as olive oil and walnut oil into your food, making shakes up to 1500 calories with a blender, some milk, some oils, banana, peanut, butter, whatever you like really. Obviously the odd takeaway isn't going to hurt either :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25

There are some really easy ways to get more calories, such as adding healthy oils such as olive oil and walnut oil into your food, making shakes up to 1500 calories with a blender, some milk, some oils, banana, peanut, butter, whatever you like really. Obviously the odd takeaway isn't going to hurt either :biggrin:

Is it bulking season for some? :wink:

Can't forget coconut oil!
Original post by JD1lla
It's far from pedantic, it's the most important factor that is almost entirely ignored when it comes to weight loss/weight gain. If you were to post a thread "Training hard but not gaining any muscle!" Universally the first question would be "Are you eating in a surplus".

For self-proclaimed 'hardgainers'/high metabolism individuals, saying "eat more" will warrant a response "I already eat loads!", which has already been demonstrated in this thread.

A mass gainer is fairly obvious what it is. She might not know about TDEE or anything of that nature, but a simple google can help resolve queries like this.

I'm not attacking her, just friendly discussion.

EDIT:

Also, to gain weight healthily and sensibly, calculators like iifym are excellent. Just eating a 3000 kcal surplus isn't a good idea, but it will work. (I don't care what you Starting Strength Monkeys think)

You were blatantly attacking me, dont carry on whatever discussion was from the other thread in here.
Reply 27
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You were blatantly attacking me, dont carry on whatever discussion was from the other thread in here.

If that is what you constitute as 'attack' then you are very sensitive. I'd suggest you look at the posts made in the other thread. I hardly brought that thread into this. Don't tell me what to do lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
If that is what you constitute as 'attack' then you are very sensitive. I'd suggest you look at the posts made in the thread. I hardly brought that thread into this. Don't tell me what to do lol.

You knew my post was valid and the other poster said so, yet you decided to criticise it just for the sake of it. I can't tell you what to do, but if you're in the habit of criticising someone for something not actually related to their post, that's a failure on your part.
Reply 29
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You knew my post was valid and the other poster said so, yet you decided to criticise it just for the sake of it. I can't tell you what to do, but if you're in the habit of criticising someone for something not actually related to their post, that's a failure on your part.

I did not criticize your post. I did not suggest any aspect of your post was wrong. Although it does surprise me for somebody who loves insulin so much to recommend gaining weight from sugary drinks. I bet you most certainly know what happens to simple sugars .... :wink:

Don't make this personal.

See my pm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah that's pretty much why you have families that are all fat and others that are all slim - eating habits are passed down through the family. You rarely get a family that are genetically fat, it's significantly more likely that the family has historically made a habit of having larger-than-average portions as well as having a preference for foods that just happen to be calorie-dense, and the children grow up eating a certain way and as humans we generally don't change the eating habits we've adopted unless a very conscious effort is made to make some changes. The opposite is true for slim families.

Your eating habits can certainly be changed, though - as I said earlier, 2500 a day was a struggle for me at first. I'd need more than that just to maintain my weight now that I'm carrying a lot more muscular weight, and when I'm just eating to maintain for whatever reason I'm often left wanting for food by the end of the day, and also consciously choose foods that aren't overly high in calories apart from the weekend takeaway.

+1
Oh wow. looks like my eating habit hasn't changed even after starting this thread. guess who bought chocolate fingers with plantain crisps today instead of a sandwich ugh:s-smilie:. helpful advice though thx!
+1
Oh wow. looks like my eating habit hasn't changed even after starting this thread. guess who bought chocolate fingers with plantain crisps today instead of a sandwich ugh:s-smilie:. helpful advice though thx!

If you still wanna fit in some chocolate and crisps then go for it, just start making a habit of counting calories and making sure you're getting enough. Did you use any of the calculators the others suggested to work out your recommended intake as a starting point?
Reply 32
If you still wanna fit in some chocolate and crisps then go for it, just start making a habit of counting calories and making sure you're getting enough. Did you use any of the calculators the others suggested to work out your recommended intake as a starting point?

I probably spend in total about 5 minutes counting calories and recording them. It's easy stuff if you use a website like Myfitnesspal, or even just a trusty notepad.

Op, use the calculator from IIFYM (If it fits your macros) as suggested and you'll be packing on weight in no time :smile:

Disclaimer (0.5kg - 1kg a week)
(edited 8 years ago)
I am exactly the same. IIFYM gives me a maintenance of 2200 or something. In reality it's closer to 2800, and this is even with an underactive thyroid.

That's not to say IIFYM isn't a good starting point - but there are outliers. Just try it, and if you don't put any weight on, gradually torque up the calories.

Also yeah, calorie counting. Important. Myfitnesspal, as others have suggested.
Eat more. And if that doesn't work eat more. It's as simple as that
Sure the inability to put on weight isn't a perceptual thing, rather than a fast metabolism? In that you feel like you're eating a lot, but in real terms not eating enough.
Reply 36
I have the same problem :angry: I once ate McDonalds every day for a week (what was I thinking btw) and didn't gain weight :lol:

Just eat meals that consist of good poly/mono-unsaturated fats, slow digesting, complex-carbohydrates and quality protein.
Original post by JD1lla
I probably spend in total about 5 minutes counting calories and recording them. It's easy stuff if you use a website like Myfitnesspal, or even just a trusty notepad.

Op, use the calculator from IIFYM (If it fits your macros) as suggested and you'll be melting weight off in no time :smile:

Disclaimer (0.5kg - 1kg a week)

Isn't OP looking to gain weight? Hence my takeaway comment earlier :lol:
Reply 38
Isn't OP looking to gain weight? Hence my takeaway comment earlier :lol:

corrected
Original post by ivy.98
I have the same problem :angry: I once ate McDonalds every day for a week (what was I thinking btw) and didn't gain weight :lol:

Just eat meals that consist of good poly/mono-unsaturated fats, slow digesting, complex-carbohydrates and quality protein.

You're not gonna gain a significant amount of weight in a week. Even if you burn 2000 calories a day on average and you eat 3500 calories a day for a week, you're only gonna gain about 3lbs that week, won't notice in the mirror :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest