The Student Room Group

Feel like I have no friends (long post)

Hi everyone. (Long post, please bear with me) I'm 27 years old and I graduated from uni about 4 years ago (got married and had baby last year). From high school, I had a good small group of friends, there were about 5/6 of us. Halfway through highschool, I ended up drifting apart from because they had all discovered drink and boys and I never drank. This resulted in not inviting me to nights out and later on even to normal day things, like going to each others houses. My parents were kinda strict so I was only allowed out during the day. I then went on to college and didnt keep in touch with high school friends, neither side made effort and I feel like they didn't care. Friends I made at college were just friends, in the way that I wouls only see them at college and although we all got on well, it was never the friendship that would last (if that makes sense).
Uni was good and made a few food friends, but after uni finished, everyone got so busy and people have moved on to other things that I feel like I have no one.
I had 2 other close friends from high school and would meet up with them while I was at uni - one of them moved to NZ but before she left, i think she was annoyed at me because I never told her I was engaged. In fact i never told anyone, i was in a bad place at that time and think i had depression so I never spoke to anyone about what I was up, i would just focus on them. Anyway she still seems to be a bit hostile even though (without full details) I told her why i never told anyone. My other friend who is close friends with the one that went to NZ is just rubbish at keeping in touch. I would always send her birthday messages, only some get replied to. She had a miscarriage a few years ago and i was always there for her, even got back on FB to make sure she was ok and she replied saying i was such a good friend for checking up on her. But after that only a few casual messages and Ive not heard from her since. I think I've just given up. Not come to see me or my baby. The other girl has come back from NZ and she's not even told me. I just feel like im the one making all the effort, with keeping in touch, remembering birthdays. No one does that for me. I'm off FB but i went back on to get details/reviews for some driving company and obviously saw everyone all happy and social and people still friends with high school people and it really got me down. I know people exaggerate how social they are on social media but I still felt upset. I live with inlaws and its pretty much impossible to get any free time here let alone invite anyone over. (9 people in one house ffs!). I just wish I was more confident. i noticed on FB that the social people just revealed everything about themselves and always had selfies etc....but I'm not confident enough for that. Sorry this is so long but I feel really sad.
Facebook literally depicts only exaggerations of social lives, you'll find plenty or interesting people who don't ever use it (though they may be much older and not really suiting your fancy)
Reply 2
Yeah I left FB when I got married but everyone else is on FB and thats how they stay in touch. No one texts or emails nowdays! I made the mistake of checking what had happened when I logged back on but it's definitely gotten to me. Even if I take FB out of it, I just feel like I have no one near me to rely on, talk to. All the parents at the baby classes/group are roughly 6/7 years older than me so not that much in common. In fact, I think they look down on me because I'm a lot younger than them. I just get really upset at thinking how my life has turned out and how I don't have a circle of people that I can relax with.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone. (Long post, please bear with me) I'm 27 years old and I graduated from uni about 4 years ago (got married and had baby last year). From high school, I had a good small group of friends, there were about 5/6 of us. Halfway through highschool, I ended up drifting apart from because they had all discovered drink and boys and I never drank. This resulted in not inviting me to nights out and later on even to normal day things, like going to each others houses. My parents were kinda strict so I was only allowed out during the day. I then went on to college and didnt keep in touch with high school friends, neither side made effort and I feel like they didn't care. Friends I made at college were just friends, in the way that I wouls only see them at college and although we all got on well, it was never the friendship that would last (if that makes sense).
Uni was good and made a few food friends, but after uni finished, everyone got so busy and people have moved on to other things that I feel like I have no one.
I had 2 other close friends from high school and would meet up with them while I was at uni - one of them moved to NZ but before she left, i think she was annoyed at me because I never told her I was engaged. In fact i never told anyone, i was in a bad place at that time and think i had depression so I never spoke to anyone about what I was up, i would just focus on them. Anyway she still seems to be a bit hostile even though (without full details) I told her why i never told anyone. My other friend who is close friends with the one that went to NZ is just rubbish at keeping in touch. I would always send her birthday messages, only some get replied to. She had a miscarriage a few years ago and i was always there for her, even got back on FB to make sure she was ok and she replied saying i was such a good friend for checking up on her. But after that only a few casual messages and Ive not heard from her since. I think I've just given up. Not come to see me or my baby. The other girl has come back from NZ and she's not even told me. I just feel like im the one making all the effort, with keeping in touch, remembering birthdays. No one does that for me. I'm off FB but i went back on to get details/reviews for some driving company and obviously saw everyone all happy and social and people still friends with high school people and it really got me down. I know people exaggerate how social they are on social media but I still felt upset. I live with inlaws and its pretty much impossible to get any free time here let alone invite anyone over. (9 people in one house ffs!). I just wish I was more confident. i noticed on FB that the social people just revealed everything about themselves and always had selfies etc....but I'm not confident enough for that. Sorry this is so long but I feel really sad.

theyre probably just annoyed with you for ignoring them, so theyre doing back. you should probably make new friends or tell these ones how you feel
Reply 4
Original post by robinfr
theyre probably just annoyed with you for ignoring them, so theyre doing back. you should probably make new friends or tell these ones how you feel

But I never ignored them...I was the one always texting and emailing to see how they're getting on
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
But I never ignored them...I was the one always texting and emailing to see how they're getting on

i know I mean when you were going through a rough time they probably don't really understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending