The Student Room Group

If you could write your personal statement totally honestly, what would you say?

Scroll to see replies

UCAS personal statement: I loved music ever since I watched Tom chasing Jerry around a piano and wanted to play that piece. I've done lots of musical shiz over the year and am gonna waste my statement's characters massively by listing each one. PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME.

Masters statement of purpose: I am interested in music psychology but have no aptitude for science. Therefore I would like to do this course instead, to approach the question of "why people like music" from a pseudo-science background, to make myself feel better and important about myself because I didn't get the mark I wanted at Oxford but I CAN ****ING WRITE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW, so clearly I deserve to get a Masters.

PhD statement of purpose: I like ABBA. Do you like ABBA? I think you might like ABBA! Let's spend four years chatting about ABBA :ahee:
Original post by rhiannon277
Oh yes, it did. Although I turned out to have no more interest in law either. Lucky I happen to be good at exams. Had a fantastic 5 years but if I could go back I would do English. Still I don't have many friends whose jobs have anything to do with their degrees!

Why do you wish you had done English, out of interest?
I want to go to university. And why? Because I don't feel ready for the world yet. Let the campus embrace me in its protective wings until I fully mature :redface:. Saving the world? That will come later :colondollar:

To be honest with you, I don't have an 'undying love' or 'passion' for medicine (or people, even. I like people, and I would love to help them, but some can be irritating. Part of the package, I guess). I chose it simply because it offers job security (what with the demand of doctors) and the Dr. title sounds good :h:.

I'm pretty much useless at other stuff anyway. All rounder? Stuff that. The only reason I am a prefect and monitor is due to the supposedly coveted 'leadership' trait that I have supposedly achieved. And what do I get at most? Cursing under my breath about how annoying these prefect things are, and how I will never do them again, but somehow I still do :tongue:.

Come on, many people have almost the same reasons for entering medicine, so why would you want me to blab 5-10 minutes about 'how my whole ambitions are nothing but medicine blah blah.......?' You probably wouldn't want to hear the truth anyway, and the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars for the BMAT, UKCAT and IELTS, and potential traveling expenses suggest that I won't be running away anytime soon (I am an international student haha). So please, please, kind hearted universities, pity my feather-light empty wallet and PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEE.

Whew. Feels good to let that all out. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I was actually pretty honest in my PS... I didn't put down any activity I didn't do and I didn't exaggerate.
However...

"I had no interest in Politics until precisely the 8th of May this year when I watched an amazing speech and since then I've been completely obsessed with it. I even want to do it as a career despite the fact that I have no confidence whatsoever. The party I want to have a career with is one that is widely seen as being irrelevant. I am very angry with certain members of the Government and would like to go to them and tell them that mental health is not necessarily limiting and they're idiots."
My second PS was a formality so I could have a bit of fun with it. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Geology_1
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
UCAS personal statement: I loved music ever since I watched Tom chasing Jerry around a piano and wanted to play that piece. I've done lots of musical shiz over the year and am gonna waste my statement's characters massively by listing each one. PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME.

Masters statement of purpose: I am interested in music psychology but have no aptitude for science. Therefore I would like to do this course instead, to approach the question of "why people like music" from a pseudo-science background, to make myself feel better and important about myself because I didn't get the mark I wanted at Oxford but I CAN ****ING WRITE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW, so clearly I deserve to get a Masters.

PhD statement of purpose: I like ABBA. Do you like ABBA? I think you might like ABBA! Let's spend four years chatting about ABBA :ahee:

:rofl: This is amazing
This thread coincides with the appearance of a new announcement in red on every thread, "Please don't post any part of your personal statement on The Student Room."
Original post by John Allman
This thread coincides with the appearance of a new announcement in red on every thread, "Please don't post any part of your personal statement on The Student Room."

If you're submitting some of these posts as your personal statement, I think plagiarism might be the least of your worries :teehee:
Reply 88
Original post by John Allman

The posts in this thread aren't real PSs.
Reply 89
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you're submitting some of these posts as your personal statement, I think plagiarism might be the least of your worries :teehee:

PRSOM
A comment on this Telegraph article made me giggle.

PSlol.png

Thought everyone in the middle of writing their PS might want to let off steam by posting an 'honest' version in this thread :teehee: Or, if you could get away with writing whatever you wanted, what would you put?

:dumbells:

mine would be a line long.

im lazy, pessimistic and unenthusiastic sociopath.... yeah...
Original post by simbasdragon
Why do you wish you had done English, out of interest?

Then I could have spent 5 years reading books I had a little interest in rather than 5 years mostly bored to death with only a few moments of relief coming from ethics and the Solicitor's Accounts papers.
Here's what mine would have been:

Dear University,

So it turns out the adult world is a cruel, horrifying and bleak environment which I've now worked out I am simply not ready for. Please allow me to crawl back into the womb of education for a further three years until I am fully gestated.

Pretty sure this is me :-)

Mature student, can't wait to be welcomed back into education and escape my 9-5 office job!!!
Dear sir/madam,

Firstly I'd like to express my sincere condolences for having been forced to sit and read through a bunch boring heavy words stringed together, that compeltely lack emotion thanks to the strict guidelines on what not to write, from about a thousand students. But hey it pays the bills so good for you.

I'll cut to the god honest truth, I have Asian parents. That should just be self explanatory but in case it isn't; that means I'm positively f***ed if I don't get in to university so if you've ever wanted to save someone's life, here's your chance, accept me and I get to endure five glorious sheltered years of medicine, with no social life, while also continuing to breathe and exist. I will forever be in your debt.

Now as to my interests in being a doctor and my skills and yada yada I did work experience, it was plain depressing, I have decent grades, my parents are however far from content. I like sciences but I believe that it is inexcusable to have had gone through five years of learning about plants asexual reproduction, which frankly I think is compeltely boring and unfortunate. I do like helping other people. Yet I am almost a 100% certain I like dogs and cats better than humans and much rather help them. That was until my friend told me about how her dog once ate a plastic bad and he was severely constipated and the vet had to come and literally pull the plastic from inside his butt using his hands protected only by gloves and so, understandably, it threw me off the profession a bit. I don't want to have to put animals to sleep, put my hands up their butt or work with cows in a farm because they bloody stink. Then there's also the fact that I once saw Martha Jones from doctor who reciting all the bones on the human hand in series 3 and I seriously doubt I have the competency to handle memorising everything about one anatomy let alone several.

If that's not convincing enough, I assure you I will be a great asset to your university since I, coming from a third world country ironically enough, have to pay five times as much and is therefore an obvious cash cow. My parents would have to sell two livers one arm and five legs in the black market, even still I find them very insistent on this career path.

I hope I have what it takes to get a place at your esteemed university and be deemed worthy enough to be a part of my extended Asian family (consisting wholly of doctors, lawyers and engineers) .

Thank you,
Faithfully yours forever and ever please don't let me die,
Desperate Asian kid
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
lol a friend of mine's honest PS would be

"parents wanted me to do medicine... screwed up my as-levels so need foundation year biomed to use as my way into medicine
... i hate chemistry
plz take me"

mine is "i have no idea what i'm doing - i just like science... i haven't done any work experience so i'll make up for that by talking about all my a level subjects and what i learned from them even though i would burn the school down if i tried to do an experiment by myself. i also sold cake at my school for charity because i care so much about the well-being of others. i don't know which charity. i am a school council rep... i have no idea what im doing... if i had an x factor sob story i'd put it in but i don't so soz.... plz take me tnx"
I could go on and on about economics being the most interesting subject ever, but instead, I'm leaving this here:

[video="youtube;8CzlhZtunNc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CzlhZtunNc[/video]
Reply 96
I'm gonna be honest. Most of my life I have been primarily interested in things that are not maths. In fact, I only really realised I liked this subject a lot in Year 11. And I never did any of that UKMT stuff. And I don't have any talent. But I mean who knows, I could do well, if you give me an offer. So you might as well.
edit: Note that my real personal statement was laborious, tremendously verbose and overzealous, all things that are supposedly to be avoided. Didn't hurt me though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Dear university famalam
pls accept me
ur my only hope
Lots of luv xoxoxoxo
Reply 98
My personal statement was written honestly :smile: something I'm very proud of - I am one of very few who can say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My original personal statement declared that my ambition in life was to be the next Springwatch presenter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending