The Student Room Group

I'm engaged! But I don't want to do anything??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by welcometoib
is this to the one you broke up with? what changed?

I did post about it
Reply 21
Original post by Gears265
There is economic benefits for the female yes because when **** goes tits up, the money, house and assets will only be flowing one way

You're entitled to your opinion, but this isn't the case for us as we both earn a lot, very similar wage each.

I never loved the idea of marriage generally as I agree you don't need to prove anything and like I said I hate the materialistic side of it. However a part of me held onto the idea that if I met someone I truly wanted to spend my life with, I would want to make that promise and commitment. And I have met him. It's about what that means to me and it's nothing to do with anything else for me. Maybe you don't agree with that, but that's how I feel and I'm perfectly entitled to it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AvaAdore
I did post about it

cant find it, mind pasting it/repeating it? its nice to see, from you a couple of months ago to now being fine and engaged :smile: good luck
You're entitled to your opinion, but this isn't the case for us as we both earn a lot, very similar wage each.

I never loved the idea of marriage generally as I agree you don't need to prove anything and like I said I hate the materialistic side of it. However a part of me held onto the idea that if I met someone I truly wanted to spend my life with, I would want to make that promise and commitment. And I have met him. It's about what that means to me and it's nothing to do with anything else for me. Maybe you don't agree with that, but that's how I feel and I'm perfectly entitled to it.

Yes you are entitled to it and by all means enjoy it, but my personal opinion is marriage is some pointless concept drawn up from religion and this idea of being blessed by God. Since religion has all been proved nonsense, the concept itself can be considered nonsense, but everyone to their own
Reply 24
Yes you are entitled to it and by all means enjoy it, but my personal opinion is marriage is some pointless concept drawn up from religion and this idea of being blessed by God. Since religion has all been proved nonsense, the concept itself can be considered nonsense, but everyone to their own

But that's my whole point? I don't believe any of that stuff either. It's up there with the biggest legal commitments you can make in a romantic relationship and I'd say a fairly noble reason to do this that sort of outweighs the many reasons you may not agree with it is simply love, without consideration of show, gain or religion.
Congrats
Reply 26
Original post by welcometoib
cant find it, mind pasting it/repeating it? its nice to see, from you a couple of months ago to now being fine and engaged :smile: good luck

Id rather not, I hope you don't mind! Sorry
Reply 27
What do you mean my situation? Care to share? :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Muttley79
You don't have to look like a meringue or have a flash wedding. I made my own dress to suit my tastes and did not wear a veil.

Make your own choices for the day and don't feel you have to spend a fortune to have a great and memorable day.

It's just the pressure of expectation making me feel I'm unusual. In most of my life, people expect me to be a certain way, thus I feel I constantly surprise and therefore inevitably disappoint people

Also some of my elder relatives are apparently less than impressed that I'm marrying a black man so there's that, ****ing yay
Congrats. Well you don't have to want to do anything, but get married of course :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by phunky_fresh
Congrats. Well you don't have to want to do anything, but get married of course :smile:

And I do I just get tired when I think about having to plan it and stuff

Take your time. Wedding planning looks like hard work.

First of all, congrats! Second of all, I know how you feel. I've been engaged for a good while now, and I haven't made a single plan. :redface: My family were all excited as well, but it's not their wedding, so they will just have to live with whatever my partner and I choose. I'm a constant disappointment to them anyway.

I don't like wearing dresses, so I know I am not going to wear a dress. Don't like wearing rings, either, so I am not going to have a ring. I am actually quite tempted to just go for a registry office ceremony, with just a couple of people there as witnesses. Nice and quick and cheap, too. Can all be done for under £200. Then maybe have a meal after for the four of us.

There are lots of options to do it your own way. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Whatever you and your fiance will enjoy. If you have the money, you could go to Vegas, or have a beach ceremony in another country. You could have a themed wedding. Dress up as pirates or what not (friends of mine actually did that). There shouldn't be any pressure. It's down to the two of you, and the rest will just have to deal with it.
Reply 33
Lol ok grumpy.
Hi guys

Haven't been around a lot as work has been insane and also my partner proposed to me, I said yes, lots of happiness etc.

But now it's calming down I feel like everyone wants to know my wedding plans and I haven't even begun to think about it. My career has taken off big time and I'm nearly at the end of my course, I've been busy. But Is it normal to not have any interest in it yet?

All the fuss makes me feel uncomfortable too, although I look feminine I'm not very conventionally (I.e stereotypically) feminine - I have no desire for some dress that looks like a cake or everyone paying attention to me for the whole day. Do you think this could be the reason I'm not so eager or something wrong with me??

perhaps just have a small wedding and dont worry about people thinking you need a big dress etc, id be the same :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Kittiara
First of all, congrats! Second of all, I know how you feel. I've been engaged for a good while now, and I haven't made a single plan. :redface: My family were all excited as well, but it's not their wedding, so they will just have to live with whatever my partner and I choose. I'm a constant disappointment to them anyway.

I don't like wearing dresses, so I know I am not going to wear a dress. Don't like wearing rings, either, so I am not going to have a ring. I am actually quite tempted to just go for a registry office ceremony, with just a couple of people there as witnesses. Nice and quick and cheap, too. Can all be done for under £200. Then maybe have a meal after for the four of us.

There are lots of options to do it your own way. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Whatever you and your fiance will enjoy. If you have the money, you could go to Vegas, or have a beach ceremony in another country. You could have a themed wedding. Dress up as pirates or what not (friends of mine actually did that). There shouldn't be any pressure. It's down to the two of you, and the rest will just have to deal with it.

There is no way I'd have a theme! God no offence to your friends each to their own but I just find that really gaudy and tacky. No Vegas either. Money isn't an issue for us so I'm not against going somewhere. God I dunno
Reply 36
Original post by Kittiara

Are you going to do something else instead of the ring thing?
There is no way I'd have a theme! God no offence to your friends each to their own but I just find that really gaudy and tacky. No Vegas either. Money isn't an issue for us so I'm not against going somewhere. God I dunno

No offense taken. I wouldn't go for a theme or Vegas, either. What I mean, though, is each to their own. It's every couple's decision. Not the decision of family/friends/whoever.
Are you going to do something else instead of the ring thing?

I'm not sure, yet. It would be nice to exchange something, and for us both to have something. Going with rings would make little sense, because I wouldn't wear mine after the day. And my partner isn't that into wearing a necklace or bracelet. Guess we could be really weird and go for a ring for him and a bracelet for me, or something along those lines.
Weddings are such BS, I never understood why two people who love each other need a piece of paper to prove it, pathetic

Others do it for things such as next of kin thing and religious reasons.

OP first of all congratulations!

With regards to your wedding, it is perfectly normal to feel like that. Most important thing to remember is do whatever will make you comfortable. I was the same as you and to be honest I left most of the wedding related decisions to my in laws. It was perfectly fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending