The Student Room Group

First Boyfriend and he is Chinese

Hey, I'm 18 and a full-time college student. Will be going to the University of Salford in 2016 (hopefully)

I met my friend in China in 2013 on the Great Wall of China and then he started studying his degree in Manchester last year, he is 20 years old and Chinese. Since May 2015 we started dating each other and it has been nearly 7 months. Neither of us have had a girlfriend or boyfriend before, I feel like I don't want it to end. But I think there a few cultural things that I need to learn about, because I don't want to do anything which could cause a break-up. I know parents opinion is important, that's why I re-joined college and working towards a degree as of next year. Is there anything else I should know about? This relationship means a lot to me, we was my first kiss, hug and even the first boy I ever held hands with (Same to with him too) Feeling it's getting more serious, which I like, so please tell me anything you know about the cultural difference of Chinese male dating. Thank you!
Original post by JemAllen9
Hey, I'm 18 and a full-time college student. Will be going to the University of Salford in 2016 (hopefully)

I met my friend in China in 2013 on the Great Wall of China and then he started studying his degree in Manchester last year, he is 20 years old and Chinese. Since May 2015 we started dating each other and it has been nearly 7 months. Neither of us have had a girlfriend or boyfriend before, I feel like I don't want it to end. But I think there a few cultural things that I need to learn about, because I don't want to do anything which could cause a break-up. I know parents opinion is important, that's why I re-joined college and working towards a degree as of next year. Is there anything else I should know about? This relationship means a lot to me, we was my first kiss, hug and even the first boy I ever held hands with (Same to with him too) Feeling it's getting more serious, which I like, so please tell me anything you know about the cultural difference of Chinese male dating. Thank you!

Woah woah hold up. So you're doing a degree because you're dating this guy? What about if you break up? Do you genuinely have an interest in this course?
You will be putting yourself in thousands of pounds of debt over something that could potentially end in the near future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Woah woah hold up. So you're doing a degree because you're dating this guy? What about if you break up? Do you genuinely have an interest in this course?
You will be putting yourself in thousands of pounds of debt over something that could potentially end in the near future.

Ah, sorry I didn't write that down. Of course I have an interest in a degree. I hope to become an International Event Manager, sorry about that.
Reply 3
Why don't you ask him about his culture? and him ask you about yours. Are you a female
Reply 4
[QUOTE=SMEGGGY;60414831]Why don't you ask him about his culture? and him ask you about yours. Are you a female

Yeah, I'm a female. I tried asking him but he said he doesn't know...
Finally, Chinese work ethic rubbing off on us unambitious Brits.

Edit: tagging @Mr Smurf for inspiration.
(edited 8 years ago)

Sounds like Penny with Leonard in The Big Bang Theory XD
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

:rofl: tell him i see many White girl/oriental guy couples and whenever i see a white/oriental couple i instantly think of Mr Smurf
I can give you a tip or two. Hit me up with a PM.
I've had a Chinese boyfriend so I get your struggle. What I did was basically read books about China when we were together so we had something to talk about in terms of China
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

Mr Smurf is Filipino, not Chinese haha

Original post by Student403
Sounds like Penny with Leonard in The Big Bang Theory XD

It's hilarious how you see the humour in OP's very serious dilemma!!!1 :hmmm:
Original post by thecatwithnohat

It's hilarious how you see the humour in OP's very serious dilemma!!!1 :hmmm:

Come on I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that the two situations seem so similar!
Original post by thecatwithnohat
To be fair he's an oriental, and many Filipinos are descendants from Chinese immigrant merchants, so ethnically he's probably Chinese, but not China Chinese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending