The Student Room Group

How To Make Guy Friends?

Hey everyone!

So I've always been much more comfortable talking to females but also want some guy friends, I find it difficult to meet guys offline and online without coming across as I'm trying to hit on them. (as I'm completely straight!)

I've never been able to go out 'with the guys' or anything as I've always found it difficult to relate to other guys. I've added a few in my area with mutual friends so it's not too creepy but not sure how I can actually engage as a 'mate' instead of getting the impression of trying to chat them up or something!

Any tips and ideas please of how to meet the same gender? :smile:
So r u gay?
Original post by Lucarious30
Hey everyone!

So I've always been much more comfortable talking to females but also want some guy friends, I find it difficult to meet guys offline and online without coming across as I'm trying to hit on them. (as I'm completely straight!)

I've never been able to go out 'with the guys' or anything as I've always found it difficult to relate to other guys. I've added a few in my area with mutual friends so it's not too creepy but not sure how I can actually engage as a 'mate' instead of getting the impression of trying to chat them up or something!

Literally exactly how you would make a girl-friend. How do you make girl, friends? You share stories, make one another laugh, do stuff, be empathetic towards them, be considerate, try to help them out when you can... Right? It ain't no different for males.

Unless the male wants to **** you from the outset. In which case he probably won't be entertained by all that but then he was never going to be a friend of yours anyway...
Girls make better casual friends than guys, unless they're either really intelligent, throw great parties or (if you're into it) roll the best weed, guys are slightly pointless.
Original post by william walker
So r u gay?

Nothing against gays, but nope!

Original post by TorpidPhil
Literally exactly how you would make a girl-friend. How do you make girl, friends? You share stories, make one another laugh, do stuff, be empathetic towards them, be considerate, try to help them out when you can... Right? It ain't no different for males.

Unless the male wants to **** you from the outset. In which case he probably won't be entertained by all that but then he was never going to be a friend of yours anyway...

I suppose I feel more comfortable with girls giving as I've always had girl friends? Not many straight guys would be so eager to reply to another straight guy that just popped out of nowhere, especially if they're unaware of their intention! Also I think given today's society ect, it's awkward to meet a male online as another male and start a whole "how are you?" conversation!

May sound ridiculous but it's realistic that a guy would lose interest in talking/meeting another straight man when all that's on their mind is usually girls!
Original post by The Rad Prince
Girls make better casual friends than guys, unless they're either really intelligent, throw great parties or (if you're into it) roll the best weed, guys are slightly pointless.

I supppose, I guess I just want a few guy friends so I'm not always known as the guy with only female friends, also I think it would just be fun to hang out with 'the guys' some nights
Nothing against gays, but nope!

I suppose I feel more comfortable with girls giving as I've always had girl friends? Not many straight guys would be so eager to reply to another straight guy that just popped out of nowhere, especially if they're unaware of their intention! Also I think given today's society ect, it's awkward to meet a male online as another male and start a whole "how are you?" conversation!

May sound ridiculous but it's realistic that a guy would lose interest in talking/meeting another straight man when all that's on their mind is usually girls!

Where do you get that from? All the straight guys I know love their bromances lol. If you're going for the lad types you ain't gonna get a good friendship anyway.

If you're really desperate for male friends just video game. That will get you ceaseless male friends... Depending on the games you play they could be good ones too :biggrin:

There was this little black fella who spoke to me randomly after a class the other day and then we walked home together chatting about meaningless ****e for about 20minutes. If he had not had the urrge to arbitrarily first ask me if there was a timetable for that class and secondly to then ask what I had chosen to write about for my essay topic in that class we were both in, well, we'd have never spoke at all. Funnily enough neither of us even asked for the other's name, lol. I must ask him though the next time I see him as he seemed interested enough, especially for someone who wished to go into financial consultancy LOL. The best thing was that he didn't even come across as camp in anyway!

Perhaps I'm an exception though because I'm more intelligent, more empathetic and more lonely than most males.
(edited 8 years ago)

Right? Wrong.

Share stories? What the ****. If I want a to hear a story I'll read a ****ing book.

Mates don't do any of those things. If a guy started trying to make me laugh or be "considerate and empathetic", I would think he was Ted Bundy.
Original post by cole-slaw
Right? Wrong.

Share stories? What the ****. If I want a to hear a story I'll read a ****ing book.

Mates don't do any of those things. If a guy started trying to make me laugh or be "considerate and empathetic", I would think he was Ted Bundy.

Yeah and I'm pretty sure most of TSR thinks you're a ****, so I'm sure you have great friendship advice to offer, hmm?
Attachment not found
Yeah and I'm pretty sure most of TSR thinks you're a ****, so I'm sure you have great friendship advice to offer, hmm?

lol, are you confusing people on TSR with friends? How cute.
Hey everyone!

Far easier said than done but just treat them like any of your girl friends! Guys are chill and trust me, it is normally the guys who are far more nervous than the girls so if you are nervous, they are nervous. We are just normal people; treat us so :P We don't bite... unlike you guys.... lololol
Original post by cole-slaw
lol, are you confusing people on TSR with friends? How cute.

So you live in a life of deception? Impressive that you can, but I, simply cannot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending