The Student Room Group

Feedback on my new website?

sortbydislikes.com is a project I've been working on for a few days. It allows you to input a youtube channel and displays that channel's most disliked videos (in terms of percentage of dislikes, it also shows you the videos with likes disabled), I thought this would be an interesting exercise as many popular youtubers have a certain viewpoint which isn't very popular.

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue). At the moment only videos with 30% or more of dislikes are added to the database.

It would be really useful to get some feedback on this and any improvements that could be made. Thanks!

EDIT: looks like I'm going to have to multithread the hell out of this, so many channel index requests already.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jabberjay_
sortbydislikes.com is a project I've been working on for a few days. It allows you to input a youtube channel and displays that channel's most disliked videos (in terms of percentage of dislikes, it also shows you the videos with likes disabled), I thought this would be an interesting exercise as many popular youtubers have a certain viewpoint which isn't very popular.

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue).

Be sure to let me know what you think of it, and any improvements that could be made.

This will be amazing when everything's indexed and doesn't return "nothing controversial here". :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by ombtom
This will be amazing when everything's indexed and doesn't return "nothing controversial here". :biggrin:

Yea, once most of the main channels get indexed it will make the experience smoother. The "nothing controversial here" thing comes up when a channel has no videos which have more than 30% dislikes.

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue). At the moment only videos with 30% or more of dislikes are added to the database.

It would be really useful to get some feedback on this and any improvements that could be made. Thanks!

Really nice! Looks like VeganGains is already in the database.. Unsurprising to see so much red. Cool work :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Jooooshy
Really nice! Looks like VeganGains is already in the database.. Unsurprising to see so much red. Cool work :smile:

Thanks, vegan gains was one of the first channels I tested it with, haha.
would be useful if you could hyperlink the videos in! Just a suggestion, but otherwise its really cool and easy to use
Reply 6
Original post by honeylooloo
would be useful if you could hyperlink the videos in! Just a suggestion, but otherwise its really cool and easy to use

If you click the video title it will redirect you to the video, though I should probably make the styling a bit more obvious.
oops sorry, I was clicking on the screencap of the video instead.
Reply 8
Original post by honeylooloo
oops sorry, I was clicking on the screencap of the video instead.

I've added that in, just for good measure.
yaaaas
Nice interface, but I dislike the generic/old font

http://puu.sh/mAJKG/711aa2764e.jpg

Try something a bit more modern/contemporary?
V interesting, obviously not all in there as some has now been added.

Would be useful to not just see when 30% over dislikes though - like PewDiePie has none come up, presume as none that disliked, but would be curious to see most disliked anyway..

Perhaps an overall 'most disliked' youtubers when more is indexed?
Original post by Student403
Nice interface, but I dislike the generic/old font

http://puu.sh/mAJKG/711aa2764e.jpg

Try something a bit more modern/contemporary?

Fair point, I only considered the font for the title. I'll do some experimenting.
Fair point, I only considered the font for the title. I'll do some experimenting.

Sounds good :wink:
Original post by Inazuma
V interesting, obviously not all in there as some has now been added.

Would be useful to not just see when 30% over dislikes though - like PewDiePie has none come up, presume as none that disliked, but would be curious to see most disliked anyway..

Perhaps an overall 'most disliked' youtubers when more is indexed?

Yea I think a most-disliked youtubers section or a list of the most disliked videos would be pretty cool. The only problem with the 30% thing is that if its reduced too much then I'll end up indexing tons of videos very quickly, but its something I can play around with.
Thanks, vegan gains was one of the first channels I tested it with, haha.

I can't think of a better test case, the guy is notorious! It would also be cool if we could choose to whether to display the results in ascending/descending order :smile:
Original post by Jooooshy
I can't think of a better test case, the guy is notorious! It would also be cool if we could choose to whether to display the results in ascending/descending order :smile:

What do you mean by display results in asc/desc order, surely the whole point is that they're shown in percentage likes descending?
Pretty nice - very functional.

I think it'd really benefit from a flat design in the future - just suits the feature. But definitely something for when it's 100% finished.
Original post by Chaz W
Pretty nice - very functional.

I think it'd really benefit from a flat design in the future - just suits the feature. But definitely something for when it's 100% finished.

Thanks, design is definitely something to work on. On a side note someone posted this on reddit and its going crazy, thousands of pageviews. https://redd.it/41phyb If anyone is interested.
Thanks, design is definitely something to work on. On a side note someone posted this on reddit and its going crazy, thousands of pageviews. https://redd.it/41phyb If anyone is interested.

Yep - that was me :biggrin:

Maybe it'll get to front page - you never know :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending