The Student Room Group

Does smoking 1/2 cigarretes a day - lead to any long term damage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Statistically, a pack of cigarettes, give or take a few, takes half an hour off your life, in other words every year you would be losing about half a statistical day, and that assumes that you weren't increasing the amount you smoked.

Original post by Mihael_Keehl
I have read something similar to this too.

This assumes that I do not die via other ways though :/

Think I read somewhere 11 minutes per cig, approx? Not sure how they came up with that figure though.

But I assume a true figure would be difficult, and I guess is maybe dependent on frequency and patterns of use?

I doubt the odd cigarette would be a massive harm but not looked at the research... though think I read that in some ways they can be protective in later life against some neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and dementia's - but there are probably better non harmful alternatives to smoking for that lol.

Let me know what you find! Interesting stuff! ^^
Well, this is discouraging. :/

Spoiler

Cigarettes are the only legally available drug that even when used properly still harms the user.

Virtually every ingredient in it is poison.

If you don't smoke that much and can go a week without one, just quit. If nothing else it'll save you money, to say nothing of your health.
Original post by hellodave5
Think I read somewhere 11 minutes per cig, approx? Not sure how they came up with that figure though.

But I assume a true figure would be difficult, and I guess is maybe dependent on frequency and patterns of use?

I doubt the odd cigarette would be a massive harm but not looked at the research... though think I read that in some ways they can be protective in later life against some neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and dementia's - but there are probably better non harmful alternatives to smoking for that lol.

Sorry, thought a microlife was a pack, actually it's 10 microlives so a pack is about 5 hours depending on the cigarette

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it but try and keep it to that level on average. I used to have a similar amount per day but then had a cold and cough sore throat etc for over a month and didn't smoke during that time and just continued to abstain afterwards. I've still got a complete carton left which I had bought back from Spain which I should probably sell
Reply 25
Original post by hellodave5

Yeah, I think the harm is more in once you reach the higher numbers. The small amount of people who manage to keep it occasional (or more often, don't, but then semi-quit) aren't that far off from nonsmokers in life expectancy.

Imo, statistics like each one taking x minutes off your life are misleading and harmful, with about as much meaning and relevance as saying living in a country where people smoke will take x years off your life (because cancer rates will be higher). I think it's much more helpful to educate about the risks of transitioning from occasional/social smoker to regular smoker. Just look at the drug war to see how well fear and shame works as an education tactic.

Quite insightful reply. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

Aside from smoking what other activities? would alleviate stress.

Thanks, and no problem. Stress balls help. So does meditation, as do breathing exercises. Physical exercise works, whether it's going for a walk or going to the gym, maybe taking out some frustration on a punching bag.

I hate to say this last bit, and kind of hope someone jumps on me for this, but if everyone you know social smokes and you feel left out, then a 0% nicotine ecig is always an option to join on smoke breaks. That said, I don't know anyone who would have a problem with a nonsmoker joining them for a smoke break, as long as they don't seem impatient to leave if they get bored.
(edited 8 years ago)
Guide on how to smoke healthily:
1) dont
Reply 27
Original post by Jammy Duel
Statistically, a pack of cigarettes, give or take a few, takes half an hour off your life, in other words every year you would be losing about half a statistical day, and that assumes that you weren't increasing the amount you smoked.

A very misleading statistic really, as many smokers do not die younger than non-smokers.
Original post by Wellzi
A very misleading statistic really, as many smokers do not die younger than non-smokers.

Also incorrect given that when I double checked the figures it's actually 5, but it still the case that statistically it would be the case for the "average" person. Many do not die younger, but some do which can be well reasoned as due to the smoking which gives the 5 hours a pack.
Original post by JoeTSR
Yeah, I think the harm is more in once you reach the higher numbers. The small amount of people who manage to keep it occasional (or more often, don't, but then semi-quit) aren't that far off from nonsmokers in life expectancy.

Imo, statistics like each one taking x minutes off your life are misleading and harmful, with about as much meaning and relevance as saying living in a country where people smoke will take x years off your life (because cancer rates will be higher). I think it's much more helpful to educate about the risks of transitioning from occasional/social smoker to regular smoker. Just look at the drug war to see how well fear and shame works as an education tactic.

Thanks, and no problem. Stress balls help. So does meditation, as do breathing exercises. Physical exercise works, whether it's going for a walk or going to the gym, maybe taking out some frustration on a punching bag.

I hate to say this last bit, and kind of hope someone jumps on me for this, but if everyone you know social smokes and you feel left out, then a 0% nicotine ecig is always an option to join on smoke breaks. That said, I don't know anyone who would have a problem with a nonsmoker joining them for a smoke break, as long as they don't seem impatient to leave if they get bored.

Thanks.

I don't really socially smoke though. When I do smoke it is often alone seldom with someone in my class etc.

I prefer to smoke alone, it is more peaceful ceteris paribus.

Suppose it gets quite bad to the point when one doesn't generally socially smoke.
Reply 30
Spin it another way...
Are there any long term benefits?
Reply 31
Thanks.

I don't really socially smoke though. When I do smoke it is often alone seldom with someone in my class etc.

I prefer to smoke alone, it is more peaceful ceteris paribus.

Suppose it gets quite bad to the point when one doesn't generally socially smoke.

Fair enough. Yeah, for me, it was actually socially smoking that upped my tolerance. I think they're both as dangerous as each other in terms of increasing your intake.

Hopefully you'll be able to find something to replace it. It's a dangerous path, and the further down it you go, the harder it is to find your way back.

Original post by JC.
Spin it another way...
Are there any long term benefits?

When you're smoking, that's not on your mind. And yes, I can guarantee that the portion of your brain that craves that dopamine can think of a couple (though it'd be irresponsible of me to share them).
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm craving a cigarette now :frown:
Whilst the claims are over exaggerated with tv ads etc.
Is there any real damage in smoking probably 1 cigarette on average.
So far my voice has gone deeper, but that's the only thing I have noticed :l
Sometimes I smoke 2, and other times I can go for a week without having one.
Just wondering.

It's not about how many sticks you puff on. It's about how much you inhale. If you smoke one stick a day, it's still ok. You're probably in the experimenting stage of your life. if you become a smoker, you will begin to see a drop in your fitness levels after 7-10 years. as female smokers, this would affect our ovaries and quite possibly our babies' health. if you can, drop the habit altogether. stay smoke free. be healthy.
Reply 34
I doubt smoking only half a cigarette a day will affect you tbh.
no.
your lungs can repair themselves rapidly after you stop anyway
Original post by JoeTSR
If you were able to stick to that amount for the rest of your life, then yeah, the health effect would probably be negligible (other than maybe a cough/more regular colds). But that's a big if. I used to be the same. I went multiple years on 1-2 a day, if that. Going a week or two without smoking wasn't particularly difficult.But then you go to a festival. It's ok, it's a festival! Normal rules don't apply! You don't normally smoke 5 in a day, but hey, other people are, and it passes the time while you're waiting for acts etc.But you're fine, and within a week or two, you're back to your usual amount. Maybe a touch more, but it's barely noticeable.Next year, numbers go up again. This time, you smoke a bit more than 1-2 a day afterwards, but hey, you're just coming off all that nicotine, you shouldn't go cold turkey.Then something hard happens. You smoke a bit more. You have to, to cope. Then you have that piece of work to do. So stressful. Better have a cigarette to relax.Now you're bored with friends. Have a cigarette. Anxious/bored at a party. Cigarette.Maybe you try a cigar, or an ecig, with more nicotine than you're used to. Hey, this is nicer than cigarettes.More stress.Cigarette.More work.Cigarette.More boredom.Cigarette.Before you know it, you're up to 5-10 a day. But you can't quit like you used to be able to. Going without makes you constantly crave it. You find yourself deeply inhaling whenever you smell cigarette smoke.This post was typed with a cigarette in hand. A few years ago, I was like you. You may think it won't happen to you. You're different. You'll be able to resist. You'll keep your smoking occasional. Others do, why can't you?It can happen. Easily. And it sneaks up on you. Be careful.
This dude speaks truth, I realised I was addicted like that and I'm trying to quit right now. **** ain't easy.
Yes. Stop.

I can never empathise with anyone who smokes whatsoever, even if it's only one a month.

'tis naught but bad.
Original post by Alexion
Yes. Stop.

I can never empathise with anyone who smokes whatsoever, even if it's only one a month.

'tis naught but bad.

Not even if I'm smoking noobs on CoD?
Original post by JoeTSR

Yeah dead on mate.
The problems tend to lay in addiction whereby there is time to bring about general detrimental and more specifically the self reinforcing neurobiological effects, rather than in a bit of a dabble which as far as I know isn't too bad at all (if at all - depending on what you're taking and quantity, and may even be beneficial - but to digress this brings into mind the idea of 'self medication' as a cause of addiction).

Just happened to have just watched a TED video suggesting the Portugese way of dealing with drugs at a societal level, and suggests addiction is a kind of expression of disconnectedness with life and society at a personal level. Education really is key, alongside decriminalisation.

Quick Reply

Latest