The Student Room Group

Nottingham or UCL for neuroscience MSci?

So here's my dilemma, I know UCL is a better university over all, more prestigious and what not (generally speaking in terms of rankings) and is 2nd best in the world for neuroscience research, however, over there I'd be doing a 4 year course, the last 2 years being research projects at the university. With Nottingham, the course is 4 years, however this includes a year in industry (so i'd have a year in industry and a masters in just 4 years). With UCL i dont think i can take a year in industry with neuroscience, and if i could it'd be another year on top i'd have to take out. However with Nottingham I'd have to move out so it'd be a hell of a lot more expensive (I live in East London). Im eligible for a 4k per year bursary at UCL if i make it my firm, and im not too fussed about missing out on the whole uni experience. Also I'd have free travel on all tfl forthe foreseeable future if I go to UCL (don't ask how). So I'm torn. Also my parents want me to stay at home but I'll try and convince them if I do decide Nottingham. ive visuied both unis and have gotten offers from both. So thats my dilemma. Also if I make UCL my firm, i dont have gauranteed accomodation at Notts.
So these are the factors:
Money (WAY cheaper at UCL)
Industry experience (at Notts only)
Free travel (at UCL)
More prestigious uni (UCL)
Any advice? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You wouldn't get a master's in 4 years at either university. A MSci is an 'undergraduate master's', better than a BSc but not equal to a MSc.

So basically the only reason for going to Nottingham is that they have a year in industry? You have to decide if that 1 year (which probably is nothing special) is worth the extra money and giving up the chance to study at the best Neuroscience department in the country. Presumably you could get work experience/do internships whilst at UCL too? Personally I would go with UCL but that's just me.
(edited 8 years ago)
UCL :u:
I think you need to double check as I think in some cases not every student who wants to go on a year in industry can- I had this issue at my university where it was very competitive and some people ended up stuck with the BSc.
UCL is the best in Europe for neuroscience. Their facilities are AMAZING and they have connections with ION (where I briefly worked with some postgrads) which is world class in research
Reply 5
UCL
(no contest)
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
You wouldn't get a master's in 4 years at either university. A MSci is an 'undergraduate master's', better than a BSc but not equal to a MSc.

So basically the only reason for going to Nottingham is that they have a year in industry? You have to decide if that 1 year (which probably is nothing special) is worth the extra money and giving up the chance to study at the best Neuroscience department in the country. Presumably you could get work experience/do internships whilst at UCL too? Personally I would go with UCL but that's just me.

In terms of educational level an MSci is (largely) equivalent to a BSc + MSc.

But I wonder how Nottingham squeezes its MSci into 3 years (it appears the year in industry is optional and doesn't include additional academic learning).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. MSci students don't do a full-length master's thesis/research project.
Original post by Snufkin

Well basically yeah, that's the only thing drawing me towards Nottingham (I guess the experience of living out would be nice too). The thing is, I've heard that the year in industry is so helpful in making links and getting a decent job after I graduate. Also I'm not 100% sure about going into career in research, however I am considering it. Therefore I believe the year in industry would really give me insight into whether or not this is something I'd like to do as a profession. I understand I can take internships but I don't know if these last long enough to give me proper insight into what it would be like if I did it full-time.

About the work experience at UCL, I need to ask them about that at a future applicant open day. If it is possible, I would strongly consider it.

Also in terms of the MSci not being equivalent to an MSc. Does that mean to pursure further academia after my degree/MSci, I would have to do a masters?
Original post by DeadEnd_96
UCL :u:

Any specific reason why? :') (bearing in mind what I've said already)
Original post by Ethereal Consort
I think you need to double check as I think in some cases not every student who wants to go on a year in industry can- I had this issue at my university where it was very competitive and some people ended up stuck with the BSc.

Yeah, that's the thing. I asked them about that, they said it's extremely competitive. Do you have any idea how industries decide who to take up for the year in industry?
Original post by soraskeyblade

Any advice? :smile:

Come and do Neuroscience at UCL with me! Is that enough motivation? :wink:
Original post by Noodlzzz
UCL is the best in Europe for neuroscience. Their facilities are AMAZING and they have connections with ION (where I briefly worked with some postgrads) which is world class in research

Oh wow didn't know they had links with ION. Although as a neuroscientist is that really relevant to me?
Original post by TeeEm
UCL
(no contest)

An employer would value a degree from UCL more than a year in industry from another Russell Group uni?
Original post by jneill

But I wonder how Nottingham squeezes its MSci into 3 years (it appears the year in industry is optional and doesn't include additional academic learning).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder that myself, I need to ask them! Thank you for bringing it up. :smile:
Also in terms of the MSci not being equivalent to an MSc. Does that mean to pursure further academia after my degree/MSci, I would have to do a masters?

No you wouldn't. Actually in the sciences a master's is superfluous, you can easily go from BSc straight to PhD.
Original post by Laurasaur
Come and do Neuroscience at UCL with me! Is that enough motivation? :wink:

Haha, are you already doing it? Or are you starting next academic year? (if all goes well)
Haha, are you already doing it? Or are you starting next academic year? (if all goes well)

Next academic year, I hope! I've got an offer from Nottingham MSci too, which I considered, but I prefer UCL by far :smile:
Original post by Snufkin
No you wouldn't. Actually in the sciences a master's is superfluous, you can easily go from BSc straight to PhD.

Really? So the only benefits of doing a Masters would be the more in-depth knowledge I receive? Wouldn't it help with my pay bracket when I get a job?
Really? So the only benefits of doing a Masters would be the more in-depth knowledge I receive? Wouldn't it help with my pay bracket when I get a job?

As to that, I have no idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending