The Student Room Group

When the whole world is on Tinder, where do you find a serious partner?

Basically what it says in the title. I'm ready to settle down now, but all the dating sites for 'serious' relationships seem to be dead because everyone is now on Tinder. Looking for a serious partner on Tinder is like looking for water in the desert. It's so hard finding a guy who wants more than a hook up. I've tried OkCupid etc but it seems dead now like I said!

Where is the app for people who want serious relationships?!

Scroll to see replies

Tinder isn't just for hookups. Make your intentions clear, and you can find someone who wants a long term relationship even on Tinder.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically what it says in the title. I'm ready to settle down now, but all the dating sites for 'serious' relationships seem to be dead because everyone is now on Tinder. Looking for a serious partner on Tinder is like looking for water in the desert. It's so hard finding a guy who wants more than a hook up. I've tried OkCupid etc but it seems dead now like I said!

This isn't a joke or anything and I'm genuinely saying this.

I'm looking for that.
You can see my pics and everything. Message me and who knows, maybe we'll go on a date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RomanKing
This isn't a joke or anything and I'm genuinely saying this.

I'm looking for that.
You can see my pics and everything. Message me and who knows, maybe we'll go on a date.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I admire your confidence as much as I admire your hat. Carpe diem, mate.
Reply 4
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Tinder isn't just for hookups. Make your intentions clear, and you can find someone who wants a long term relationship even on Tinder.

But it's even more difficult than usual sifting through Tinder trying to find someone who wants a commitment. I think the probability goes down a lot.

RomanKing, aww! How old are you?
But it's even more difficult than usual sifting through Tinder trying to find someone who wants a commitment. I think the probability goes down a lot

The best advice I got was to be very active in life. Make sure you go out regularly, do lots of sports and are either active at work and/or school. You'll find partners in the most unexpected places. I met my current girlfriend at an event for one of my university's society.

Maybe in real life ?

More seriously, the whole world is not on Tinder ! And maybe you'll find someone on TSR :P
You know there's a new version of Tinder where people don't want to really meet anyone but just want validation of their own attractiveness?

It's called Tinder.

Just avoid it and meet people by talking to them.
Two years ago I downloaded Tinder to see what all the hype was about. I was only on it for maybe a week or two before I started talking to the guy who is now my boyfriend and we've been together since. Sounds stupid but we'd had this liked Facebook page in common that was pretty obscure and he couldn't believe it so he made a comment about it. Maybe it's rare but it happens, just make sure your profile really reflects who you are so the right kind of people will start up conversations. Good luck!
Reply 9

I'm sure many women are saying the same thing. Some guys too.

The hook-up culture has changed the dating landscape and many men no longer need to acquire girlfriends to have lots of sex.

This is how it is in your 20s nowadays.

You will maybe have to date older men if you want something more serious.

:wink:
OKCupid isn't dead. Unless you live in Scarborough or summat, you should find plenty of matches.
Thanks, sounds like a really good read!

So the general consensus is I just keep looking and hoping? I have been looking for years - I'm worried by the time I find someone my eggs will be dried up and I want kids :frown: I'm in my late 20s already.
Thanks, sounds like a really good read!

So the general consensus is I just keep looking and hoping? I have been looking for years - I'm worried by the time I find someone my eggs will be dried up and I want kids :frown: I'm in my late 20s already.

Well what are you looking for in a man? Assuming you've had previous partners , what was wrong with them?
Reply 14
I am not against online dating. But Tinder works just maybe a little bit percentage to find a serious partner who has the same intention as to you. Some of them are just bored or looking for someone they could play with.
Don't want to go on the date with me then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RomanKing
Don't want to go on the date with me then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like you're taking the piss...
Original post by problemglasses
Well what are you looking for in a man? Assuming you've had previous partners , what was wrong with them?

I have had several partners. The first one lives in another country now, so does the second one. The guy after that was really critical of the way I dressed and me in general. We were also both under a lot of stress so we broke up. After that, the guy I dated briefly tried to force me to have sex with him after a few dates, I wanted to wait to get to know him better and he wouldn't compromise at all so I ended it. After that I met someone amazing who I fell in love with totally but he dumped me after a little while because he wasn't ready for something serious. It was the only relationship I think could truly have gone somewhere and I was super happy with him. Since then I've found it really hard to meet anyone. My last boyfriend I dated for a little while and he smoked weed every day at least 4 or 5 times and was permanently high. I broke up with him. Since then I've been single for nearly a year.
I have had several partners. The first one lives in another country now, so does the second one. The guy after that was really critical of the way I dressed and me in general. We were also both under a lot of stress so we broke up. After that, the guy I dated briefly tried to force me to have sex with him after a few dates, I wanted to wait to get to know him better and he wouldn't compromise at all so I ended it. After that I met someone amazing who I fell in love with totally but he dumped me after a little while because he wasn't ready for something serious. It was the only relationship I think could truly have gone somewhere and I was super happy with him. Since then I've found it really hard to meet anyone. My last boyfriend I dated for a little while and he smoked weed every day at least 4 or 5 times and was permanently high. I broke up with him. Since then I've been single for nearly a year.

I'm not taking the piss I'm being genuine but making a joke out of it too.

Your story sounds somewhat similar to mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like you're taking the piss...

I think he's sincere.

I'll just throw in my five cents and say that joining groups and getting involved in your local community can work wonders. The whole process of talking to people outside and getting to know them, rather than relying on text and fake emotions is a lot more 'real' and fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending