The Student Room Group

People always comment on young I look and it's annoying :@

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Shut your mouths

Why don't you say that then, be a little more assertive since your a 'fully grown woman', I'm sure it's not hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me people these days wont say nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
But I guess if it's the customer that says it, you can't really say anything,
If it was me..id just ignore the comment and give them the 'blank stare with rolled eyes and raised eyebrows' look lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, especially if it's your customer!

Thank you for understanding that I don't appreciate being told I look like a child when I'm a fully grown woman of 5'7'' :rofl:

Maybe, late teens, slightly more acceptable; but still, why comment on it? Shut your mouths

I bet all the people laughing above wouldn't appreciate being told they looked like little boys.
Regardless to say his taxi firm got a complaint about him.

I was sort of expecting 4'10 tbh. :tongue:

So your height has nothing to do with it.

Yes I agree. A man would no doubt be even more offended if his masculinity was questioned in such a way.

Perhaps describe your appearance? :smile:
Original post by EnemyofState
Why don't you say that then, be a little more assertive since your a 'fully grown woman', I'm sure it's not hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because telling a customer to 'shut their mouth' would result in me getting fired pretty quickly and I need this job.
Normally I just say something like 'that was a random comment' and they shut up tbf.

It's probably where you live as well that can be a factor , you live in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stefano865
I was sort of expecting 4'10 tbh. :tongue:

So your height has nothing to do with it.

Yes I agree. A man would no doubt be even more offended if his masculinity was questioned in such a way.

Perhaps describe your appearance? :smile:

Fair skinned, blue eyes, red hair, about a size 10-12.
Nearly everyday or at least every week I will be at work and one of either my colleagues or a customer or a cashier or even a taxi driver will make a comment, out of nowhere, about how young I look and it's really starting to bug me :angry:

I'm 21, pay all my own bills and I'm financially independent aswell as being halfway through a masters degree yet I am being told that I look anywhere from 12-18 depending on the person. Frankly I'm getting rather of sick of it and it's quite irritating. What should I say back?

Consider looking young a blessing you'll appreciate it more once you get older I get your frustration as it happens to me often. It sucks getting mistaken for a teenager. If you're short then wear bigger heels/boots, apply some makeup or dress differently all those things can make you look different drastically.
Reply 28
Hmm it seems odd that so many people comment. I mean I'm a 5'5" guy with, being generous, the face and build of a 15 year old tbh (19 in a couple of weeks..) but it isn't generally remarked upon. What sort of things do they say specifically?
It's probably where you live as well that can be a factor , you live in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would understand if it was London, but I don't live anywhere near the south, I live in NW england
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Hmm it seems odd that so many people comment. I mean I'm a 5'5" guy with, being generous, the face and build of a 15 year old tbh (19 in a couple of weeks..) but it isn't generally remarked upon. What sort of things do they say specifically?

Usually something along the lines of 'how old are you' '21' 'oh you don't look 21!' *proceeds to ask all their friends on their opinion of my age*

*When I'm buying alcohol at supermarket* *shows ID* ''You don't like anywhere near like you're 22, love''

Or just comments about how I look to young to be working. Like about 12-15.
How old do u think I am
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457056139.671311.jpg
Just by looking at my eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Black Cat
Consider looking young a blessing you'll appreciate it more once you get older I get your frustration as it happens to me often. It sucks getting mistaken for a teenager. If you're short then wear bigger heels/boots, apply some makeup or dress differently all those things can make you look different drastically.

I'm 5'7'' which is above average for women in England as I understand it anyway. It would make more sense if I was something like 5'0'' or 4'11'', but no. I do wear make-up, daily. I never go out without it tbh. There's not a lot I can do about what I wear because I mostly get these comments in my work uniform and I can't change that haha
Usually something along the lines of 'how old are you' '21' 'oh you don't look 21!' *proceeds to ask all their friends on their opinion of my age*

*When I'm buying alcohol at supermarket* *shows ID* ''You don't like anywhere near like you're 22, love''

Or just comments about how I look to young to be working. Like about 12-15.

OMG that sucks, now I know how you feel. That feeling of not even being respected, just because people think you look young

Posted from TSR Mobile
How old do u think I am
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457056139.671311.jpg
Just by looking at my eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Difficult to tell tbh.

Early 20's?
OMG that sucks, now I know how you feel. That feeling of not even being respected, just because people think you look young

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I must just interact with an unusually high frequency of rude people on a daily basis
Fair skinned, blue eyes, red hair, about a size 10-12.

Sounds good. :u:

There are definitely things you can do to look older.

A clean, modern hairstyle. Vintage styles make you look younger. Avoid curls.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d4/9a/52/d49a52b701591c0ec5a6805a8cbcd738.jpg

Use make up to enhance your eyes and sharpen your facial features.

Dress in a more edgy and sexy style. Wear less colour and again avoid vintage styles.

:wink: :biggrin:
OP- I know exactly what you mean LOL! It really does quite bug me as oftentimes when they say I look super young, they act as if I look 14...and I'm like oh dear....

Don't get me wrong, I would love to look my age, but also young-just in a mature way (if you follow ha!) :P
Original post by stefano865
Sounds good. :u:

There are definitely things you can do to look older.

A clean, modern hairstyle. Vintage styles make you look younger. Avoid curls.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d4/9a/52/d49a52b701591c0ec5a6805a8cbcd738.jpg

Use make up to enhance your eyes and sharpen your facial features.

Dress in a more edgy and sexy style. Wear less colour and again avoid vintage styles.

:wink: :biggrin:

The thing is my hair is always straight and always up, so I never wear it down or wear curls in it either.

I wear a lot of black and dark colours too. Not black as in gothic, just as in normal black walking jackets, leggings, gloves, bags etc.

Even my blue dresses are dark blue.

Idk lol, maybe it is my make up
Original post by John55
Pics or gtfo

Spoiler

Yeah, but s/he is probably just very short. Short people often look young. Looking 25 when you're 40 would be great, but looking 12 when you're 21 would be sh!te.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending