The Student Room Group

Marriage at 18

Just wondered what people thought getting married "so young"? I've been with my S.O. for over 2 years now, and we'll be split long distance, both going to unis in separate countries, in September.

Ask me 2 years ago what I thought on marriage at 18, and I would have thought it's ridiculous. But now actually in a committed relationship, with someone I never want to lose ... I picture us married in the future, so why not now? Or at least an engagement? :bell:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my mum and dad were high school love birds; they got married at 18/19. theres nothing wrong with getting married at 18 but you have to think it through very carefully :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay, it's kind of good that you've been together for 2 years but doing it before you go to uni or in your first year of uni is just something you shouldn't do. You never know if the LDR is going to work out or if he's what you're looking for in a long term partner (at 18 you'd be doing well to have seen what's out there).

I'd say give it a few more years and if all goes well then do what you want.
I know people from pakistani and bengali backgrounds who get married more or less as soon as they turn 16. tbh

Spoiler

at the end of the day, its your choice and you have to consider the pros and cons of marriage and your partner's views
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondered what people thought getting married "so young"? I've been with my S.O. for over 2 years now, and we'll be split long distance, both going to unis in separate countries, in September.

Ask me 2 years ago what I thought on marriage at 18, and I would have thought it's ridiculous. But now actually in a committed relationship, with someone I never want to lose ... I picture us married in the future, so why not now? Or at least an engagement? :bell:

My parents were engaged at that age and my close friend got engaged at 17 but is only just getting married now. One thing i would say is to live together before getting married so maybe consider a long engagement rather than rushing into anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Me and my boyfriend will have been together 4 and a half years on the 19th March.
I'm off to university in another city whilst he is staying in our hometown.

I think this concept is to do with personal preference really, I'm 19 (20 this year) and one day I'd like to get married to him but I don't think it's the right time yet with everything going on.

Would you want to be engaged but not see your fiancé most days? I think it'd be hard :/ but it depends on what you can both handle. Not that, that difficulty should stop a relationship though.
When you're young, you havent yet been financially independent, you havent lived together and you havent had to be long distance... It can seem like you will be together for ever. And I'm not saying you won't, it just that relationships are really tested during these hard times of having no money or spending a long time apart, which you havent yet had to do. Also two years really isnt that long.

I totally get where you are coming from and i see the reasoning but in reality, just enjoy being young and together, you dont need to define the relationship further or put added pressure on you to stay together. I am so different now to who i was at 18, and yeh you might change together as you grow up but you might not too.

Also, have you talked to your boyfriend about this? :tongue:
You're saying why wait? But if you know you're going to feel the same way in say, 5 years time, why rush? I would not get married until I'm at least 25 so I know my brain has fully developed lol
Reply 8
Original post by LiquidGold
When you're young, you havent yet been financially independent, you havent lived together and you havent had to be long distance... It can seem like you will be together for ever. And I'm not saying you won't, it just that relationships are really tested during these hard times of having no money or spending a long time apart, which you havent yet had to do. Also two years really isnt that long.

I totally get where you are coming from and i see the reasoning but in reality, just enjoy being young and together, you dont need to define the relationship further or put added pressure on you to stay together. I am so different now to who i was at 18, and yeh you might change together as you grow up but you might not too.

Also, have you talked to your boyfriend about this? :tongue:

An idea we both thought of!
Reply 9
Thank you for all these insightful comments. Very useful :smile:
Reply 10

Though marrying young is not a problem but you still have to think things through. But if that is what you really want, I don't see any problem.
Both you and your partner are going to change a lot in the coming years, whether you like it or not. It's best to be cautious and wait until after university and you've had a chance to live together at least before committing to anything. Remember marriage is for the rest of your life. It's also not just about what you want but also what he wants, maybe he isn't ready to make that step yet anyway?
So many people grow out and evolve as a person, especially in their early 20s. Just remember ....

Pro Tip: People change!
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
So many people grow out and evolve as a person, especially in their early 20s. Just remember ....

Pro Tip: People change!

^^This!

PRSOM

It depends, some people think they have found the love of their life but it might not turn out that way. Personally I wouldn't have been ready at 18 as I still have to deal with education and jobs.
If you're ready at 18, sure. If it was me, I'd wait till mid to late 20s. :h:
What do people think about just being engaged, and saving actual marriage until after uni? Or what do people think about promise rings?
What do people think about just being engaged, and saving actual marriage until after uni? Or what do people think about promise rings?

Just being engaged,sounds like a good compromise but dont see the point in a promise ring.
Do it if you're absolutely certain you can handle it. Otherwise it could be a recipe for disaster. This goes for any age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blondie987
You're saying why wait? But if you know you're going to feel the same way in say, 5 years time, why rush? I would not get married until I'm at least 25 so I know my brain has fully developed lol

Don't leave it too long your looks could begin to fade after a while

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending