The Student Room Group

THE: 200 best universities in Europe 2016

Scroll to see replies

No 1.
Original post by Death Grips
Once again another example to prove that international rankings are pretty meaningless, because they rarely ever correspond to national rankings.

Stick to national rankings, if you dont want to be misled.

So you're a Surrey student, then?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
You got a offer from UCL? What for?

I've firmed UCL and put KCL as my insurance.
Lets get it! :wink:

YESSS! Firm conditional for Natural Sciences MSci :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
YESSS! Firm conditional for Natural Sciences MSci :smile:

What grades are UCL asking for MSci Nat Sci?

I've firmed MSci Physics(AAA) at UCL.
I choose to look at unis that rank high in both national and international rankings. You can't go wrong that way.
Original post by thebrahmabull
I choose to look at unis that rank high in both national and international rankings. You can't go wrong that way.

Well - you can if you end up somewhere that doesn't suit your learning style or preferred living environment and you end up miserable and failing/dropping out.
Original post by PQ
Well - you can if you end up somewhere that doesn't suit your learning style or preferred living environment and you end up miserable and failing/dropping out.

Somethings come at the cost of others. I will have an opportunity cost of comfort if i go for top unis. I may miss out on good career prospect if i dont go to a high ranking uni. Well how do you choose your uni?
Original post by thebrahmabull
Somethings come at the cost of others. I will have an opportunity cost of comfort if i go for top unis. I may miss out on good career prospect if i dont go to a high ranking uni. Well how do you choose your uni?

Find somewhere you will thrive with the opportunities you're looking for.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What grades are UCL asking for MSci Nat Sci?

I've firmed MSci Physics(AAA) at UCL.

A*AA :smile:

Ahh I think we'll be in the same lectures, physics is my major stream :smile:
I didn't like UCL when i visited. I honestly don't understand the appeal. With the grades they're asking for it'd make more sense to apply to Imperial instead.

Everyone else seems to like it though so clearly they're doing something right. Everything at that uni felt.. -shrugs-. And their engineering looked dodgy. Civil was great but the lecturers for chemical and mechanical engineering looked like they were bored themselves. Then when you consider the fact that you'd have be paying ridiculous amounts to stay in London... nope. It's just not worth it imo. Living in london shouldn't even be classed as a positive lol. I can't wait to move away.

There's no way it's the 5th best in europe. Rankings like this include international reputation. The large majority of application aren't going to live abroad. Nor will they care about uni research. It's not like they did the research themselves.

I'm not saying it's terrible. But it's by far the most overrated Uni in the UK. I can't think of any other Uni that comes close in terms of undeserved hype/praise just because of a name.

I'm assuming UCL is mainly good for humanities? I heard their medical school is great too.

Edit: speaking of chemical engineering there, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3681013
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Nah I disagree, I still believe Cambridge university is the best and not Oxford
Reply 31
53rd not bad.
Reply 32
Original post by RonnieRJ
Repping UCL my bby

You and me both Ronnie. Have you started thinking about accommodation yet??
Reply 33
Where are my kcl people at!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Lawliettt
I didn't like UCL when i visited. I honestly don't understand the appeal. With the grades they're asking for it'd make more sense to apply to Imperial instead.

Everyone else seems to like it though so clearly they're doing something right. Everything at that uni felt.. -shrugs-. And their engineering looked dodgy. Civil was great but the lecturers for chemical and mechanical engineering looked like they were bored themselves. Then when you consider the fact that you'd have be paying ridiculous amounts to stay in London... nope. It's just not worth it imo. Living in london shouldn't even be classed as a positive lol. I can't wait to move away.

There's no way it's the 5th best in europe. Rankings like this include international reputation. The large majority of application aren't going to live abroad. Nor will they care about uni research. It's not like they did the research themselves.

I'm not saying it's terrible. But it's by far the most overrated Uni in the UK. I can't think of any other Uni that comes close in terms of undeserved hype/praise just because of a name.

I'm assuming UCL is mainly good for humanities? I heard their medical school is great too.

Edit: speaking of chemical engineering there, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3681013

UCL's Engineering Dept is one of its worst departments.
My daughter Graduated from Loughborough with a 2:2 in Systems engineering.(58%) nobody got a 1st that year.
Her house mate got a 2:1 in Economics (58%). She applied for impaired performance. Both girls witnessed a car accident & reported it to the police. The aggressor & his yob mates came back & beat up the neighbour whose car he had crashed into who had been stationary at the time. The neighbours had to move house due to threats & harassment so the girls lived in fear too for 5 months until case went to court in April & afterwards until they left the area. My daughter did not get impaired performance & was unable to tell uni why application was late. Very valid reason not something she felt able to share.

My daughter was 23 last month, bought her own house (mortgaged) & loves her job.
She is earning just under £40k & with bonuses will make it £50k plus car/health & illness cover - she has worked for her company for 18 months now & starting salary was £26k plus benefits. She has just been promoted.She is doing a job in the field of her degree.
Her house mate is working in Belfast a trainee accountant for a Global firm. She is in her 2nd year & earns £19k. After she qualifies in another year or so she can expect to earn £35-£40k.

I have 2 friends whose daughters have done a Masters degree.
The 1st at Aberystwyth (Psychology) is working at Sainsbuys local in her East Sussex home town & has been doing so for over a year. She has applied for jobs but gets no further than an interview at best.
The other (English or History) at Durham. She has a part time job in a library in Newcastle area

The reason for posting this information isn't just to boast - well maybe just a little :-p
BUT because league tables change from year to year,
Loughborough was in top 10 when my daughter started it was 14th/15th by the time she Graduated.
The course you chose is the most important aspect rather than just which uni.
What are the job prospects at the end of the course & are they in the field you have done your degree?
What is the earning potential? How long to earn the potential?
What about job satisfaction?
The university ranking does play a part indeed Loughborough features low in the Top 200 of Europe.
A uni rating does not necessarily mean it is best for your subject of choice. For example Oxford & Cambridge don't offer Systems engineering.
I think all too often students don't look past what is at the end of their degree.
Original post by Radk
You and me both Ronnie. Have you started thinking about accommodation yet??

Yass

Well I tried applying but it's not open yet? I saw someone was saying its meant to open for 2016/17 from Monday/Tuesday?
If you're a layman who doesn't know anything about universities, stick with the national rankings.
Reply 38
Trust the Guardian and you could end up at Heriot-Watt instead of Edinburgh.

The order of the world rankings is more important if you want a degree worth your money.
Original post by PaulACP
Trust the Guardian and you could end up at Heriot-Watt instead of Edinburgh.

The order of the world rankings is more important if you want a degree worth your money.

Exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending