The Student Room Group

Literally had to beg for him back

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year and a half. We get along really well when we are with each other but when we aren't with each other we always seem to argue about nothing over text. Our relationship hasn't always been easy and we have went through things just like every couple does. I have never threatened to leave or left my partner once. He has done this to me quite a few times. He says that all I seem to do is have a go at him for how much he isn't trying with me.

Sometimes I feel like it's me that puts all the effort in. He barely spends time with me and he barely really even talks to me much. He is constantly with his friends and it's just getting worse as time goes on. He never used to be this bad but recently it's like I have to book him in advance just to see him and he pretty much just does whatever he wants.

I have tried to talk to him about it a million times, and he always says he will listen and do something about it to change his actions then he never does. This leads to me having an argument with him about it almost every day. The problem is that I love this guy and I know he loves me and we do have a good relationship with each other and I do want to be with him as does he.

I just don't know how we can try to make it work???

We talked and talked about all of this the other night and he agreed to make more effort and I said I was stop arguing and it was all fine. Then yesterday, he was talking about how he has to give his bosses 17 year old daughter lifts to work in the morning and this really annoyed me because he doesn't even know her. I trust him with my life but it just annoys me that he agreed to do this. So I kind of kicked off about it and made it clear I wasn't happy. He just said that I need to grow up and learn to trust him after a year and a half and that I don't need to worry, it's just a lift.

So basically, he came round last night and told me he was leaving me. After everything. I didn't know what to do and I thought he was just joking and having a laugh with me. He told me he was serious this time and that I was to cancel the holiday we recently booked which is four months away. He says all I do is bicker and moan at him for everything that he does and he's just not happy anymore.

I literally had to beg for another chance. Telling him that I promised I would be different and I would stop arguing with him over stupid things. He wouldn't budge and I went on and on. Eventually after about an hour and a half of arguing and me crying and trying to persuade him. He said okay fine I'll give it another chance but the minute you try to argue with me about anything, I am done and I won't even talk to you again.

This made me happy. I was glad. We spent the night together. He agreed to still go on holiday with me and said he loved me and he did want to be with me, he's just annoyed about the arguing and doesn't want it to happen. One little comment he did make is that he would still have sex with me even if we didn't go out. That really annoyed me as I was left thinking about why he would even say that.

So I have woke up this morning feeling completely terrible and unhappy. I should be happy that he is giving me another chance right? But I'm just worried.. I feel like I am now going to have to do everything possible to make things change and that he isn't going to bother doing anything that I asked him to do in the first place.

He already is avoiding seeing me the rest of the week even though I've only seen him one night this week. He also said that I'm no longer staying at his house at nights when he had to pick his bosses daughter up in the morning as he doesn't want me to be there as it will just be awkward. Surely it will be more awkward just the two of them when they don't know each other but anyway..

I am stuck between two minds. I love this guy to pieces and I can't imagine a life without him and I don't want to. I know that he is the guy I wanna be with and he can be. I just don't know if I'm being too hot headed all the time and I need to chill out. I always thought it was all his fault but now I'm really starting to think that the arguing is all me and I'm just pushing him further away every time. He says I never used to be like this and that's when he actually did spend time with me and everything.

How do I stop myself being this kinda girl that I also don't want to be..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's an ******** who is playing games with you. Nobody who you have to "beg" to stay with you is worth your time.
You deserve better than him. You don't have to beg. If you feel like you have to - it's not healthy. He leaves and comes back because he knows you don't respect yourself enough to say 'no, I'm tired of being treated like this'.
If the excuse 'but I love him' comes to mind - you need to replace it with 'I love myself more'.
You're strong, when he comes crawling back - say no, you'll feel so much better.
Why on Earth are you begging for him? He sounds like a douchebag you can do better,
Reply 4
If this is what some people think a loving relationship is I am very happy to be single.

You need to go your own way, this guy really already finished with you and to be honest just reading your OP you do sound like a complainer. I am surprised I got through it all, so in a sense I can even feel just a tiny bit of what your boyfriend may have to deal with and I guess in a small sense I can empathise with him just as I do with you.

In truth though this relationship is already over, to have to beg someone to stay with you which you should never really do or think you have to do is sad and proof enough that it's over. Now what are you going to be ? Just a girl he has sex with who he really doesn't respect or care for. Sorry if I am sounding harsh but I really think you have to wake up , pull yourself together and smell the coffee, stop bowing down to him , this isn't a healthy relationship if it is one at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Mattysbabe
You deserve better than him. You don't have to beg. If you feel like you have to - it's not healthy. He leaves and comes back because he knows you don't respect yourself enough to say 'no, I'm tired of being treated like this'.
If the excuse 'but I love him' comes to mind - you need to replace it with 'I love myself more'.
You're strong, when he comes crawling back - say no, you'll feel so much better.

Reading this I kinda feel like I do deserve better. I'm scared to just let him go because I want to be with him so badly. My previous relationship lasted two years and I loved him so much and still think about him to this day. I know this guy isn't treating me how I should but I'm just too weak to let go.
Why beg? have you ever thought you arent that well suited? You like him but its a lot of effort. he likes you, but its a lot of effort. Anyway your begging has gotten you a bargain which has changed the dynamic in your relationship. Imo start again and find someone you are more suited to. Dont put too much pressure on them and chill out. he really inst that into you anymore, so its just a matter of time imo.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year and a half. We get along really well when we are with each other but when we aren't with each other we always seem to argue about nothing over text. Our relationship hasn't always been easy and we have went through things just like every couple does. I have never threatened to leave or left my partner once. He has done this to me quite a few times. He says that all I seem to do is have a go at him for how much he isn't trying with me.

Sometimes I feel like it's me that puts all the effort in. He barely spends time with me and he barely really even talks to me much. He is constantly with his friends and it's just getting worse as time goes on. He never used to be this bad but recently it's like I have to book him in advance just to see him and he pretty much just does whatever he wants.

I have tried to talk to him about it a million times, and he always says he will listen and do something about it to change his actions then he never does. This leads to me having an argument with him about it almost every day. The problem is that I love this guy and I know he loves me and we do have a good relationship with each other and I do want to be with him as does he.

We talked and talked about all of this the other night and he agreed to make more effort and I said I was stop arguing and it was all fine. Then yesterday, he was talking about how he has to give his bosses 17 year old daughter lifts to work in the morning and this really annoyed me because he doesn't even know her. I trust him with my life but it just annoys me that he agreed to do this. So I kind of kicked off about it and made it clear I wasn't happy. He just said that I need to grow up and learn to trust him after a year and a half and that I don't need to worry, it's just a lift.

So basically, he came round last night and told me he was leaving me. After everything. I didn't know what to do and I thought he was just joking and having a laugh with me. He told me he was serious this time and that I was to cancel the holiday we recently booked which is four months away. He says all I do is bicker and moan at him for everything that he does and he's just not happy anymore.

I literally had to beg for another chance. Telling him that I promised I would be different and I would stop arguing with him over stupid things. He wouldn't budge and I went on and on. Eventually after about an hour and a half of arguing and me crying and trying to persuade him. He said okay fine I'll give it another chance but the minute you try to argue with me about anything, I am done and I won't even talk to you again.

This made me happy. I was glad. We spent the night together. He agreed to still go on holiday with me and said he loved me and he did want to be with me, he's just annoyed about the arguing and doesn't want it to happen. One little comment he did make is that he would still have sex with me even if we didn't go out. That really annoyed me as I was left thinking about why he would even say that.

So I have woke up this morning feeling completely terrible and unhappy. I should be happy that he is giving me another chance right? But I'm just worried.. I feel like I am now going to have to do everything possible to make things change and that he isn't going to bother doing anything that I asked him to do in the first place.

He already is avoiding seeing me the rest of the week even though I've only seen him one night this week. He also said that I'm no longer staying at his house at nights when he had to pick his bosses daughter up in the morning as he doesn't want me to be there as it will just be awkward. Surely it will be more awkward just the two of them when they don't know each other but anyway..

I am stuck between two minds. I love this guy to pieces and I can't imagine a life without him and I don't want to. I know that he is the guy I wanna be with and he can be. I just don't know if I'm being too hot headed all the time and I need to chill out. I always thought it was all his fault but now I'm really starting to think that the arguing is all me and I'm just pushing him further away every time. He says I never used to be like this and that's when he actually did spend time with me and everything.

Very long to read.
Any chance to condense, please.
(bad dyslexia)
Original post by Anonymous

No **** that annoyed you, from that comment hes basically saying even if you break up you'd still be "friends with benefits" or something similar. If you had to beg for him back and he says this ****, leave.
Sounds like an alpha male tbh
Leave him please, or give him an ultimatum. Without the details it's hard to make a call, but that stuff with the bosses daughter is just weird and inappropriate. Not to mention that he doesn't give you attention either.
Original post by anonwinner
Sounds like an alpha male tbh

Yeah, so cool isn't it? You sound like one too.
OP, why are you so desperate to have a BF lol?

Just chill. He isnt a suitable partner if he does these things to you.
Original post by donutellme
Yeah, so cool isn't it? You sound like one too.

Don't be mad bro
Original post by anonwinner
Don't be mad bro

Why wouldn't I be tho. What's not to like about 4 ball alphas: 2 in the back, 2 in the front.
You can still love someone AND they're not the right person for you.

Don't adjust who you are to fit in with his expectations, when he makes no adjustment to fit in with yours.

He sounds grudging and controlling, neither of which are components for a happy, lasting, and mutually fulfilling relationship.
The kid sounds like a muppet and very controlling. He does not deserve a good woman.

Look for someone else and become your own person. Don't be scared to be alone. He clearly knows that you are desperate. Soon, you may become a victim of domestic abuse.

For him not to care about your feelings and driving his boss's daughter, even with your objections, shows that he does not care one bit. You deserve more than this dude is offering you, which is nothing.

Finally, reflect on yourself as well. If indeed you complain (or nag) a lot, then reduce it or redirect it to constructive conversations. Most guys will just switch off or would rather have a pint with the lads than sit down and listen to you nag them to an early grave.

Good luck. :smile:
Enough's been said to warrant me not contributing, however I will say this. You'll be better off seeking advice from the other forum you posted this on; the user's there are generally more experienced, older and mature. :smile:
There's really no need for gentle and comforting words because as you said you're weak. You need to come to the realisation that he's getting everything he wants from you and he's going to keep doing it until you realise that you're better than to be treated like this. I'd say he's taking advantage of you until he gets tired of you but by the scenario you've given us, he's already tired of you, just not tired of your body or your commitment because you keep going back to him. Love makes you vulnerable to the other person and he's really taking that vulnerability for granted. You don't need him and you need to convince yourself of that.
Private message me (or any person in here who you feel has helped you) if you want to talk further; I believe we're all here to help
anyone who threatens to end a relationship as a way of manipulating the situation and upsetting you isn't worth your time... I would never ever risk breaking up my relationship by threatening to break up if I wasn't 100% convinced it was what I wanted (in which case I wouldn't change my mind)... so he both doesn't care if the break up goes through and is probably convinced he can make you beg for him back

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending