The Student Room Group

Pains in my knees D:

I noticed it about five weeks ago and it's just getting worse. It hurts when i stand from sitting down and when going down the stairs, not up. I tried to book a doctors appointment but the waiting list is so long that i dont get an appointment for 6 weeks, after my Summer two week holiday! I dont want my one holiday of the year to be ruined!
What kind of pain is it? Is there something that set it off or did is just sort of come out of no where and get worse?*
Omg I experienced the same thing for about a year. It gradually got worse and worse, it prohibited me from walking...I legit felt house bound and the pain just increased crazily.

It could be a nerve issue or you could lack vitamin D (my doctor said there was a link)

I'd strongly suggest you to see your doctor or even the hospital ASAP! You don't want the pain to get any worse. My pain hasn't even almost dissapeared and I noticed it gets worse when I'm not active, so I make sure I'm active everyday.

Please, if the pain increases, GO TO A&E! (Even if they say it's a gp matter demand you see a doctor because I understand how long people wait for an appointment at the doctor surgery)
Reply 3
This sounds more serious than a regular knee injury. You need to minimize activity on the affected knee(s). You should remain seated with your leg elevated with an ice pack over the knee area. This should numb your knee and, hopefully, give it time to recover. If this method does not work after a few days then maybe it is time to go see a doctor (regardless). (You can also take over-the-counter medication to help with the pain.)
Reply 4
Original post by Malevolent
What kind of pain is it? Is there something that set it off or did is just sort of come out of no where and get worse?*

I first noticed significantly when i climbed Snowdon but it was there before that
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Omg I experienced the same thing for about a year. It gradually got worse and worse, it prohibited me from walking...I legit felt house bound and the pain just increased crazily.

It could be a nerve issue or you could lack vitamin D (my doctor said there was a link)

I'd strongly suggest you to see your doctor or even the hospital ASAP! You don't want the pain to get any worse. My pain hasn't even almost dissapeared and I noticed it gets worse when I'm not active, so I make sure I'm active everyday.

Please, if the pain increases, GO TO A&E! (Even if they say it's a gp matter demand you see a doctor because I understand how long people wait for an appointment at the doctor surgery)

Thank you so much for this! Definately going to try and get an appointment, especially if it gets worse thank you :smile:
Original post by dulchieb
Thank you so much for this! Definately going to try and get an appointment, especially if it gets hworse thank you :smile:

You're welcome! Your health comes first, and by all means do whatever you have to do to get it checked out by someone. It's no fun to be in pain, like I fully understand and empathise with you!
Original post by dulchieb
Thank you so much for this! Definately going to try and get an appointment, especially if it gets worse thank you :smile:

For the mean time, try icing your knee or use deep heat. For me, the ice pack worked AMAZINGLY! Like it really helped alleviate the pain! Also, I always try to stretch (lightly) my knee in pain and when I could I would do some light walking- doctor advise me not to do intense exercise!

Hope this all helps and get well soon!

Quick Reply

Latest