The Student Room Group

How to give up smoking?

Any help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

too broke to get one, and i don't want a cheap one cos they explode in your face.
just don't do it
Reply 4
Think of all the money you will save from not smoking!
Reply 5
Original post by sleepysnooze
just don't do it

then i get anxiety and mood issues.
Original post by mrahim
Any help?

Nicotine patches or gum? I think that's cheaper than vaping.
Original post by mrahim

then just gradually cut the number of cigarettes down each day
I'm surprised how people can smoke so much - I smoke when I'm out after a few drinks and I know how good a couple can feel, but, say, a whole packet? after a while surely your throat would feel sore? and to be fair, maybe this is just me, but I don't feel that nicotine rush without being tipsy
If going cold turkey isn't an option, have you considered slowly ramping down on your daily/weekly consumption, until you're ready to quit full time? Nicotine patches may come in handy. Also visit Gp may be able to help you with some form of support

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just stop smoking. Worked for me, but maybe this was easy for me because I have mood swings and anxiety issues without any nicotine withdrawl.
Reply 10
Original post by sleepysnooze
then just gradually cut the number of cigarettes down each day
I'm surprised how people can smoke so much - I smoke when I'm out after a few drinks and I know how good a couple can feel, but, say, a whole packet? after a while surely your throat would feel sore? and to be fair, maybe this is just me, but I don't feel that nicotine rush without being tipsy

Because you are not addicted. once you are smoke a few regularly you will start feeling it.
Vape, it's not that expensive compared to smoking
Have you tried, ya know, not smoking?
Get work experience in a virology department in a hospital like I just finished. Scared me off smoking forever tbh AND people smoking just look so stupid I can't take someone seriously if they smell of smoke. It's rude blowing it in my face, and you clearly ignore advice from educated others so yep u an idiot m8
Original post by mrahim

Yeah withdrawals are a *****. There's a few ways that are typically successful, though I've only done one, but it worked for me, in a way. Firstly you can get prescribed champix. You take them, smoke as you normally would, and eventually you just don't even feel like a cigarette. My uncle has smoked for decades and quit this way, he swears by it.

Second, you can try cutting down. Like 10 cigs one day, 9 the next etc. increment as you feel comfortable with. Couldn't personally stick with this one.

Thirdly there is nicotine replacement therapy. Like patches and gum. I'd stay clear of these, you're not quitting so much as getting nicotine in a different way.

The way I have quit though, is cold turkey. More specifically, keep trying to quit until you do. I went cold turkey, lasted a few days, and started smoking again. I gave it a couple more days then went cold turkey again. But the more you try (and I mean really use your willpower, think your way out of wanting a smoke) quitting cold turkey, the more you learn about your triggers, justifications for a weak moment of sheer bliss etc etc. and because of that you learn how to reason with yourself. i.e. 'no, you've said just one cigarette before, and then you said because you've just "reset" the time since your last cigarette, you may as well have another'.

Oh! and whichever method you choose, DO NOT think too far in the future. I've nearly screwed myself over many a time by thinking "how am I going to stay quit for a whole year, at some point I'm bound to start up again... oh well, may as well cut to the chase" haha.. For real, take it one day at a time. Eventually you'll reach a week, then a month.. you get the idea huh?

Anyways g'luck with quitting, it'll be hard for sure. Harder still to resist having the occasional cig when you feel like you're no longer addicted. But even half a year after quitting, one smoke can, from experience, get you in a downspiral hooked again. But it is so worth it, you gain your health and longevity back, you could get really fit and run a marathon, you'll look and feel better and not smell like an old bonfire. Quitting has been, in quite a few senses of the word, the best choice of my life.
Reply 15
Original post by SirKyrgystan
Yeah withdrawals are a *****. There's a few ways that are typically successful, though I've only done one, but it worked for me, in a way. Firstly you can get prescribed champix. You take them, smoke as you normally would, and eventually you just don't even feel like a cigarette. My uncle has smoked for decades and quit this way, he swears by it.

Second, you can try cutting down. Like 10 cigs one day, 9 the next etc. increment as you feel comfortable with. Couldn't personally stick with this one.

Thirdly there is nicotine replacement therapy. Like patches and gum. I'd stay clear of these, you're not quitting so much as getting nicotine in a different way.

The way I have quit though, is cold turkey. More specifically, keep trying to quit until you do. I went cold turkey, lasted a few days, and started smoking again. I gave it a couple more days then went cold turkey again. But the more you try (and I mean really use your willpower, think your way out of wanting a smoke) quitting cold turkey, the more you learn about your triggers, justifications for a weak moment of sheer bliss etc etc. and because of that you learn how to reason with yourself. i.e. 'no, you've said just one cigarette before, and then you said because you've just "reset" the time since your last cigarette, you may as well have another'.

Oh! and whichever method you choose, DO NOT think too far in the future. I've nearly screwed myself over many a time by thinking "how am I going to stay quit for a whole year, at some point I'm bound to start up again... oh well, may as well cut to the chase" haha.. For real, take it one day at a time. Eventually you'll reach a week, then a month.. you get the idea huh?

Anyways g'luck with quitting, it'll be hard for sure. Harder still to resist having the occasional cig when you feel like you're no longer addicted. But even half a year after quitting, one smoke can, from experience, get you in a downspiral hooked again. But it is so worth it, you gain your health and longevity back, you could get really fit and run a marathon, you'll look and feel better and not smell like an old bonfire. Quitting has been, in quite a few senses of the word, the best choice of my life.

Thanks for that. I agree with that nicotine patches/logenzes don't work. I tried them and they just complemented this bad habit.

I also quit for good once. Then I tried this new brand ONCE just to see what it was like, and I'm back again. Thanks again. Qutting cold turkey is really the way to go.
Reply 16
Tell your friends not to let you have one on a night out or whenever you're 'weakest'. You'll hate them at the time, but it will be worth it
Original post by 34908seikj
Have you tried, ya know, not smoking?

Such great advice. You deserve an award :h:
There is a stop smoking service in my city - do you have one? At mine you get an advisor who helps you quit and they give you free nicotine replacement stuff too. You have to really want to quit though as it is hard
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Such great advice. You deserve an award :h:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest