The Student Room Group

Applying for a job - can I do this?

I'm trying to find a job to save up before going to uni. There's a supermarket I'd like to apply for, part time. In the application they have a ticky box for minimum requirements, "Can you confirm that you will be able to work with us for a minimum of 12 months"?

I can't work for 12 months because I'll hopefully be going away to uni in 2 months. I know it's not very nice but can I just lie and say I can anyway? Or would this get me in some sort of trouble?
lie, they can't do **** mate. Not legally binding at all.
Original post by JordanL_
I'm trying to find a job to save up before going to uni. There's a supermarket I'd like to apply for, part time. In the application they have a ticky box for minimum requirements, "Can you confirm that you will be able to work with us for a minimum of 12 months"?

I can't work for 12 months because I'll hopefully be going away to uni in 2 months. I know it's not very nice but can I just lie and say I can anyway? Or would this get me in some sort of trouble?

Gotta remember they won't have all them Eastern Europeans to depend on now :wink:
To be honest at this point I wouldn't think it would be worth it...You're not gonna get the job straight away so by the time they've reviewed your application, interviewed you, called you back, got you started and trained you'll be needing to quit..
Clearly you can but it's a *****y thing to do, and, as above, it would probably be pointless anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by JordanL_

It might be worth thinking about what you'd do for a reference once you'd left the supermarket. Most jobs want a reference from your most recent employer, and if you haven't left on the best of terms - say, leaving after 2 months to go to university after explicitly saying you'd be able to stay for 12 months - they're unlikely to want to give you a good reference.

An employer can't legally give you a bad reference, but they can refuse to give you one past confirming dates of employment, which is basically the same thing.
well it's not legally binding, your contract will still have a minimum notice period of 2 weeks to 4 weeks... I think your problem will be that by the time you start you'll be handing your notice in a week later, if I was your employer I'd fire you if I knew you'd been messing me around so you might find yourself jobless anyway

you definitely won't get a reference but tbh it's onyl a month of work anyway, it won't particularly improve your CV and won't damage you to just leave it off
How much would you really save in a part time job between now and Uni? Not a lot.

Go to uni..see what's what..if you feel you can have a job alongside it then try work at the student's union or part time somewhere else for like 12 hours per week or something.

Also..I've worked with people before who get the job...then they tell you like oh yeah I'm going to Uni (bearing in mind 3-6 months time) and it's the most annoying thing in the world. For everyone involved..managers and regular colleagues.
No, don't lie. You've left it pretty late to get a summer job and the recruitment process could take a few weeks. It's not fair on anyone involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that Aldi? Don't bother, otherwise you might get a bitter reference off them. Try Tesco - it's only 12 weeks there (and from experience I can say that Tesco is an incredible employer)

Quick Reply