The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
Terrible.:frown:

I changed to automatic now and find it a lot easier.

Hopefully if i pass everything by January then i will switch back to manual.

Thanks for asking and how about you?:smile:

Oh right, that's good then. As long as you get a license in the end.

Mine are going okay, silly mistakes here and there but I think I'll get there eventually lol
Hey guys quick question,
You know when you've changed gears down (e.g. Approaching roundabouts) and are braking at the same time. When you lift the Clutch back up to avoid cruising do you still continue to brake or do you bring the brake up aswell
Original post by lemonandlime1
Hey guys quick question,
You know when you've changed gears down (e.g. Approaching roundabouts) and are braking at the same time. When you lift the Clutch back up to avoid cruising do you still continue to brake or do you bring the brake up aswell

Bring the brake up. If you lift the clutch up whilst braking, you'll definitely stall
Original post by cherryred90s
Bring the brake up. If you lift the clutch up whilst braking, you'll definitely stall

But if you don't brake won't the car go faster because the clutch has been brought up?
But if you don't brake won't the car go faster because the clutch has been brought up?

If the roundabout is clear on approach then clutch up and off the brake. If you have to give way, clutch down and brake down. You'll never need to lift clutch up whilst braking. That's like starting and stopping at the same time, won't work.
Hey guys quick question,

You still brake. Otherwise you won't slow down/stop.
Original post by Midnightmemories
You still brake. Otherwise you won't slow down/stop.

If you brake whilst lifting up the clutch, won't you stall?
Original post by cherryred90s
Oh right, that's good then. As long as you get a license in the end.

Mine are going okay, silly mistakes here and there but I think I'll get there eventually lol

Great:smile:

we can keep each other updated
Reply 748
Stupid question incoming:

I've had two driving instructors. The first one once told me off for pulling onto a big multi lane roundabout when my lane was clear but there was a car in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout - I was going left first exit and they had come from further round the roundabout and were going right. What I did had no impact on the other driver.

Today with a different instructor I've been told off for doing the opposite - big multi lane roundabout, me going left first exit and a car in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout going around the other side and I didn't pull away.

Am I waiting for my lane to be clear or all lanes to be clear?
Original post by Afon

I've had two driving instructors. The first one once told me off for pulling onto a big multi lane roundabout when my lane was clear but there was a car in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout - I was going left first exit and they had come from further round the roundabout and were going right. What I did had no impact on the other driver.

Today with a different instructor I've been told off for doing the opposite - big multi lane roundabout, me going left first exit and a car in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout going around the other side and I didn't pull away.

I was recently failed for pulling off in the exact same situation. My dad said though if I had waited for the roundabout to be totally clear, I'd be there all day as one of the exits comes off a motorway it's always busy and is never totally clear :frown:
Reply 750
Yea, the roundabout I was on today was on a dual carriageway (although a 50mph stretch of dual carriageway). I was coming off a residential street that joins the dual carriageway via this roundabout - left or right depending on which way you wan to go. The cars already on the dual carriageway and continuing along it were coming along from the entrance directly to my right at speed giving me little chance to get on.

So you were failed for it? This is so frustrating, I'm confused. I waited a good while looking for 3 empty lanes but there was always someone in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout when the other two lanes were clear. My instructor ended up getting a bit frustrated saying - 'you've got to go - look, your lane is clear' because in his eyes I'd already missed a chance to go. I'd had a crap lesson as it was so I didn't want to ask what I thought was a stupid question. Maybe it's not that stupid of a question. What are you supposed to do?
Original post by Afon

Where I live, there's a multi lane roundabout. Luckily there's traffic lights so it makes it easier :redface:!

But I'd say that as long as there was nothing coming once you've entered the roundabout and it is safe to do so then move lanes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Third test tomorrow 😩😩😩
Original post by CallieJo
Third test tomorrow 😩😩😩

Aww good luck, hope you pass tomorrow ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 754
Third test tomorrow 😩😩😩

Best of luck for tomorrow :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Afon
Yea, the roundabout I was on today was on a dual carriageway (although a 50mph stretch of dual carriageway). I was coming off a residential street that joins the dual carriageway via this roundabout - left or right depending on which way you wan to go. The cars already on the dual carriageway and continuing along it were coming along from the entrance directly to my right at speed giving me little chance to get on.

So you were failed for it? This is so frustrating, I'm confused. I waited a good while looking for 3 empty lanes but there was always someone in the lane closest to the centre of the roundabout when the other two lanes were clear. My instructor ended up getting a bit frustrated saying - 'you've got to go - look, your lane is clear' because in his eyes I'd already missed a chance to go. I'd had a crap lesson as it was so I didn't want to ask what I thought was a stupid question. Maybe it's not that stupid of a question. What are you supposed to do?

I did fail for it :frown: the examiners reasoning was and I quote "what if he'd exited to the left?. For a start he was indicating right , he was lame closest to the centre of the roundabout and
If he did exit he would have wondered across 2 lanes. Urrgh it was so annoying :frown: my lane was clear so I went, as if already heisistated once so didn't want to fail for that :/. Sometimes you can't win. He exmoner even said the majority of people do it including people with licenses already. As I said, my dad said i would've been there all day to wait until it was totally clear on all lanes.

I'm annoyed at it but not disheartened which is good I guess :smile:
My dad took me driving yesterday to try and get me 'ahead' - he decided to do the maneuvers.
Seemed to be good although his car is a lot more powerful than the car I learn in with my instructor - I prefer his car though, it's easier to drive as his pedals are less sensitive and I hate sensitive pedals.

I practiced reversing in a bay and am really struggling with it. I seem to park too close to one side of the parking bay and can never get it perfect :frown: Hopefully I'm up to test standard by Christmas, seem to be progressing really well having 2 lessons a week (1 with parent, other with instructor - parent does 4 hour lessons with me and instructor does 1, so I've had around 10 hours within the last few weeks).
Original post by Muttski
My dad took me driving yesterday to try and get me 'ahead' - he decided to do the maneuvers.
Seemed to be good although his car is a lot more powerful than the car I learn in with my instructor - I prefer his car though, it's easier to drive as his pedals are less sensitive and I hate sensitive pedals.

I practiced reversing in a bay and am really struggling with it. I seem to park too close to one side of the parking bay and can never get it perfect :frown: Hopefully I'm up to test standard by Christmas, seem to be progressing really well having 2 lessons a week (1 with parent, other with instructor - parent does 4 hour lessons with me and instructor does 1, so I've had around 10 hours within the last few weeks).

Aw, you'll get there with reverse into a parked space :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Aww good luck, hope you pass tomorrow ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Spock's Socks
Best of luck for tomorrow :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks both! I hope I pass this time 😩
Thanks both! I hope I pass this time 😩

You're welcome! Hope you do ☺️