The Student Room Group

Debenhams Sales Adviser XMAS Temp

Hi :smile:

I want to apply for a Christmas temp job in Debenhams, but I'm a bit worried that they won't consider me as I haven't got any previous customer service experience. Is this true?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, sorry this is late... That is not true. I haven't had any retail experience at all and they phoned me yesterday to offer me the job! Go for it! Experience doesn't matter! Just be yourself and you'll do great! x
Reply 2
Original post by Dandysaurus
Hi, sorry this is late... That is not true. I haven't had any retail experience at all and they phoned me yesterday to offer me the job! Go for it! Experience doesn't matter! Just be yourself and you'll do great! x

Thank you so much! No, you're not too late, I have my store interview next week! Can you give me an idea of what your interview was like (because everyone seems to have had a different experience, and I'd like to know what it was like for someone who had one recently).
Well Done on getting a store interview! What happened at my interview was we were taken into a room (there was about 6 of us) and were paired up. We had to find out 3 fun facts about our partner and then introduce them to the rest of the group. After that, there was a mini questionnaire thing that gave us 3 different scenarios. We just had to say what we would do. Then, there was a clothes rack on one side of the room. We were told to pick an item and were given about 5-10 minutes to plan out what we were going to say. We then had to sell the item to the interview people. We were then given a 5-10 minute break. After that, we were called for 1-1 interviews. They are pretty much exactly the same the phone interview.
It sounds a lot scarier than it is! It's really relaxed and chatty. You'll be fine, I'm sure! Good luck for next week!
Reply 4
Original post by wontstop-
Thank you so much! No, you're not too late, I have my store interview next week! Can you give me an idea of what your interview was like (because everyone seems to have had a different experience, and I'd like to know what it was like for someone who had one recently).

Well Done on getting a store interview! What happened at my interview was we were taken into a room (there was about 6 of us) and were paired up. We had to find out 3 fun facts about our partner and then introduce them to the rest of the group. After that, there was a mini questionnaire thing that gave us 3 different scenarios. We just had to say what we would do. Then, there was a clothes rack on one side of the room. We were told to pick an item and were given about 5-10 minutes to plan out what we were going to say. We then had to sell the item to the interview people. We were then given a 5-10 minute break. After that, we were called for 1-1 interviews. They are pretty much exactly the same the phone interview.
It sounds a lot scarier than it is! It's really relaxed and chatty. You'll be fine, I'm sure! Good luck for next week!

Did you both have phone interviews first? I have one tomorrow. I don't mind having a quick phone interview and then being invited into the store so they can check I'm a normal person, but having the detailed online application form THEN a phone THEN group THEN individual interview seems like a bit much...

Just wondering what they asked you on the phone if you had phone interviews first? Was it competency questions or more like why do you want the job etc.??
Well done on getting a phone interview! I filled out an online form and was then invited to a phone interview. After that, I was invited to the store for a group and a 1-1 interview.

My phone interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. If I remember rightly, in the phone interview I was asked 'Why would you like to work for Debenhams?', 'What is excellent customer service?' and 'What do you think makes a good team player?'. I think there may have been one more, but I can't remember it! Sorry... Good luck for tomorrow! You'll be fine, honestly!

Original post by lou_100
Did you both have phone interviews first? I have one tomorrow. I don't mind having a quick phone interview and then being invited into the store so they can check I'm a normal person, but having the detailed online application form THEN a phone THEN group THEN individual interview seems like a bit much...

Just wondering what they asked you on the phone if you had phone interviews first? Was it competency questions or more like why do you want the job etc.??
Reply 6
Well done on getting a phone interview! I filled out an online form and was then invited to a phone interview. After that, I was invited to the store for a group and a 1-1 interview.

My phone interview lasted about 5-10 minutes. If I remember rightly, in the phone interview I was asked 'Why would you like to work for Debenhams?', 'What is excellent customer service?' and 'What do you think makes a good team player?'. I think there may have been one more, but I can't remember it! Sorry... Good luck for tomorrow! You'll be fine, honestly!

Thanks for the help. I'm not really nervous as I've done a couple phone and video interviews before but I just hope they have read my CV/application properly because I indicated I could only do December-January and not Xmas day (I assume they do sale prep on xmas day...) or New years day. I hope they don't ask me what my availability is and then say ooh sorry you don't fit our requirements when I answer! I've asked my manager for an extra long lunch break tomorrow just so I can do this interview haha so I hope I don't have my time wasted.*

Did it sound like the interviewer had your application in front of them or did it sound like they hadn't even seen it?
Original post by lou_100
Thanks for the help. I'm not really nervous as I've done a couple phone and video interviews before but I just hope they have read my CV/application properly because I indicated I could only do December-January and not Xmas day (I assume they do sale prep on xmas day...) or New years day. I hope they don't ask me what my availability is and then say ooh sorry you don't fit our requirements when I answer! I've asked my manager for an extra long lunch break tomorrow just so I can do this interview haha so I hope I don't have my time wasted.*

Did it sound like the interviewer had your application in front of them or did it sound like they hadn't even seen it?

I don't think they saw my application. Initially, they asked a lot of similar questions (any criminal convictions, availability etc). You should be fine. I think they're closed on Christmas Day, so you won't be expected to work then. Also, I'm sure they'll hire a few people, so if you can't work on a particular day, they can swap your shift with someone else's.
Reply 8
I don't think they saw my application. Initially, they asked a lot of similar questions (any criminal convictions, availability etc). You should be fine. I think they're closed on Christmas Day, so you won't be expected to work then. Also, I'm sure they'll hire a few people, so if you can't work on a particular day, they can swap your shift with someone else's.

They are closed for trading but people will work on Xmas day in some roles hence why they ask you if you can do Xmas on the application form but probs not sales advisors more like head office.

Anyway they didn't read my application whatsoever so halfway through the interview she asks me my availability and I had to then listen to her reject me because they needed someone to start 2 weeks before my availability. She's kept me in a talent pool to call if they need someone but I was highly unimpressed with the interview system. I get that they have 100s of applications per day to scan through but I would have thought the system can filter things like availability and eligibility to work in the U.K. And that kind of important stuff before inviting someone to interview and wasting their time.

When I was 16 I wouldn't have batted an eyelid about this because I just wanted any job but now that I've had many interviews with all sorts of companies including graduate companies etc I notice the bad from the good..

Sorry rant over thanks for listening hahaha
Reply 9

Hey didnt they ask for your experience at the group stage if you had one?
Original post by iamux
Hey didnt they ask for your experience at the group stage if you had one?

No. This may have been because they knew it would be my first job, so I wouldn't have any experience
I have a phone interview tomorrow - anything I should know beforehand? Thanks for the above questions that they ask during the phone interview. This will really prepare what I will say. I am surprised I even got shortlisted. I hope I ace this thing.

Thanks for this - I have a phone interview tomorrow.
Is there anything particular you have to research on the website for?

I am surprised I was shortlisted as I applied yesterday and got a phonecall at the end of the day. Maybe they are desperate for staff this Christmas.
I don't think so. When my phone interview was booked, I was told to research the services that Debenhams offer, but I wasn't asked about them. Your phone interview may be slightly different to mine, so their services might be something for you to look up
I don't think so. When my phone interview was booked, I was told to research the services that Debenhams offer, but I wasn't asked about them. Your phone interview may be slightly different to mine, so their services might be something for you to look up

Cheers for that - yes I understand it could be different. Been preparing using this thread and also found other helpful sites with advice. The 'why do you want to work here' question is always about YOU but I will slip in about how when I shop as a customer, I feel valued and important etc.
I love the services page - I couldn't believe they provided so much. Looking at their history, trends/fashion/culture and their aims, I am well impressed and definitely would want to be in that kind of environment where success is number 1.
I am using previous applications - what I've said about teamwork for example.
I'm sure it will work out but if I don't get it then it was not meant to be.
Reply 15
how is it? I have mine today, feeling quite nervous

Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Cheers for that - yes I understand it could be different. Been preparing using this thread and also found other helpful sites with advice. The 'why do you want to work here' question is always about YOU but I will slip in about how when I shop as a customer, I feel valued and important etc.
I love the services page - I couldn't believe they provided so much. Looking at their history, trends/fashion/culture and their aims, I am well impressed and definitely would want to be in that kind of environment where success is number 1.
I am using previous applications - what I've said about teamwork for example.
I'm sure it will work out but if I don't get it then it was not meant to be.
Original post by iamux
how is it? I have mine today, feeling quite nervous

I haven't had mine yet :frown:
Having it in late afternoon good luck!!
Reply 17
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
I haven't had mine yet :frown:
Having it in late afternoon good luck!!

Oh haha, me too, good luck!
So I had it - it was average I suppose. I had so much to say but the woman said that she was typing so 'bare with me'.... So I felt restricted and I felt like I couldn't say EVERYTHING I had written down.

She asked me about services, what excellent customer care is, what teamwork entails, what the sales advisor role is about and also why I wanted the job in the first place. For the services and I went on a bit and she stopped me and said to list them then she stopped me again and said 'We have a service for currency exchange....' and I was thinking 'And... I am listing you the ones I have.' Anyway that was crap and I messed up when she asked 'what other roles would there be apart from customer care' and I repeated myself. But she didn't let me finish... kept interrupting me cuz she thought I got the question wrong.

So she said she will let me know - it could be this afternoon or in 7 days. But that was it. Only 10 minutes. Oh well - I am now applying for other jobs cuz I know I won't get this assessment day.

How did yours go?
Reply 19
The lady said I would find up to 7 days, I wasn't told straight away like a lot of other people, a sign of rejection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending