The Student Room Group

Regarding Maintenance Loans...

The amount of money the government will give you per year regarding living costs depends on the income of your parents. I'm talking about living by yourself rather than with your parents.

I was told that your parents are expected to provide financial support if their level of income meant that the loans alone aren't enough to provide decent housing (i.e. if they earn £65K/£70K, then the max possible loan you can take out would be around £3.5K per year, which wouldn't be enough to pay all your bills).

My question is what would happen if your parents earn that much, but they refuse to pay for your accommodation? Do you have to find suitable accommodation using only the £3.5K provided?
Reply 1
Original post by Adzo
The amount of money the government will give you per year regarding living costs depends on the income of your parents. I'm talking about living by yourself rather than with your parents.

I was told that your parents are expected to provide financial support if their level of income meant that the loans alone aren't enough to provide decent housing (i.e. if they earn £65K/£70K, then the max possible loan you can take out would be around £3.5K per year, which wouldn't be enough to pay all your bills).

My question is what would happen if your parents earn that much, but they refuse to pay for your accommodation? Do you have to find suitable accommodation using only the £3.5K provided?

You'd be expected to self fund through other channels.
Reply 2
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you're parents earn £65/70,000 and they refuse to help you then they're selfish.

It's not like you want the money to waste it etc, you need it for you accommodation at university to pay rent.

I hate parents like this, when I become a Mum I will do everything I can to help my children during university. After he/she graduate, they obviously have to get a full time job and help out etc.
Original post by Adzo

Original post by Adzo

If they won't help out then typically you'd have to get a part time job to make up the shortfall or live really frugally- but in some places even the basic accomodation costs more than £3,500 a year.
The threshold for AY 16/17 is a household income of 62k

If your parents earned more than 62k you would get

3820 for living elsewhere such as halls (I'll be a few pounds out as going off memory)
5700 for living in london (I'll be a few pounds out as going off memory)
20?? for living with parents (I can't remember this figure :frown: but 2000 something )

but yeh as others have mentioned, you would have to find money from somewhere else such as working OR complete a current year income form if your parents income has dropped since the tax year SFE are asking for
Reply 5
Remember OP, if you get married, you count as an independent student... just food for thought...
Original post by IWMTom
Remember OP, if you get married, you count as an independent student... just food for thought...

Has to be before the start of the academic year.
Original post by IWMTom

Considering you can do it for under £100 in some places I m surprised more people don't think of that:tongue:
Original post by IWMTom

They would need to put their spouses income on their application form tho so they would need to marry someone poor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending