The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fkx
Hey, don't worry about failing. I failed yesterday as well but just think of it as a learning curve.

Did you not go to the roundabout before during lessons?

I agree, during tests it takes a split second to mess up even a little bit which leads to a fail.

What's the next available date for a test? I rebooked one for March.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, but I was guided through a lot of it. I was also ignorant to think that there would be little chance that I'd actually get taken to this roundabout on the test, so pretty much my fault for not being completely prepared.
I rebooked for Feburary, which was the earliest available!
Reply 981
I had a 2 hour lesson with my new instructor today..

Seems like I'm going to learn everything again

He said my general driving is good...he taught me new methods for the manoeuvres which I can't get the hang of and because the car is different, I found the pedals hard to get to grips with.

He said he could probably get my test forwarded to end of January

But I'm now thinking maybe I should stay with my old one..so confused!
Reply 982
Original post by Ohmydog
I did, but I was guided through a lot of it. I was also ignorant to think that there would be little chance that I'd actually get taken to this roundabout on the test, so pretty much my fault for not being completely prepared.
I rebooked for Feburary, which was the earliest available!

Pretty much the same as me then

I was taken to a place I'd only been to once before and I just couldn't get through it properly, picked up a major for that.
Original post by fkx
I had a 2 hour lesson with my new instructor today..

Seems like I'm going to learn everything again

He said my general driving is good...he taught me new methods for the manoeuvres which I can't get the hang of and because the car is different, I found the pedals hard to get to grips with.

He said he could probably get my test forwarded to end of January

But I'm now thinking maybe I should stay with my old one..so confused!

Hope you had a nice Christmas.
Trust me I got the exact same feeling every time I changed instructor and cars. In manual every car has it's own feel for the biting point and it takes a while to adjust and master the clutch control (especially if your going from petrol to diesel or vice versa).
The main thing is the general driving !!
Manoeuvres are soo difficult to learn. Firstly because every car is different and secondly because every instructor teaches it differently.
YouTube videos are good to watch for them. It's all down to practice at the end of the day.
If you want just let me know what manoeuvre(s) you find difficult and I can explain the method I used if it helps
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 984
Original post by futuremedic19
Hope you had a nice Christmas.
Trust me I got the exact same feeling every time I changed instructor and cars. In manual every car has it's own feel for the biting point and it takes a while to adjust and master the clutch control (especially if your going from petrol to diesel or vice versa).
The main thing is the general driving !!
Manoeuvres are soo difficult to learn. Firstly because every car is different and secondly because every instructor teaches it differently.
YouTube videos are good to watch for them. It's all down to practice at the end of the day.
If you want just let me know what manoeuvre(s) you find difficult and I can explain the method I used if it helps

You too.

I've decided to stick with my old instructor, as I really don't want to learn everything from scratch.

I haven't mastered the manoeuvres, but I'm at a point where I know what to do and I'm somewhat comfortable with the way I've been taught so don't want to learn any other ways for now.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I struggle mostly with reverse around the corner and parallel parking, would be interested to see how you learnt all the manoeuvres, so do let me know :smile:

Been looking for an earlier date, haven't found any so far...need to pass this March test because my theory expires in June!
Original post by fkx
You too.

I've decided to stick with my old instructor, as I really don't want to learn everything from scratch.

I haven't mastered the manoeuvres, but I'm at a point where I know what to do and I'm somewhat comfortable with the way I've been taught so don't want to learn any other ways for now.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos. I struggle mostly with reverse around the corner and parallel parking, would be interested to see how you learnt all the manoeuvres, so do let me know :smile:

Been looking for an earlier date, haven't found any so far...need to pass this March test because my theory expires in June!

I'm sure you'll master the manoeuvres soon :smile:!

I struggled with the reverse round the corner when I was learning to drive, but managed to master it in the end :colondollar:!

And hopefully you'll pass in March :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
You too.

I'm the same. In theory I know how to do all the manouvres but remembering it all without being prompted is what I sometimes struggle with. I just need to practice it a lot and I think I'll be fine, although I am secretly hoping for turn in the road or reverse around a corner lol.
Original post by cherryred90s
I'm the same. In theory I know how to do all the manouvres but remembering it all without being prompted is what I sometimes struggle with. I just need to practice it a lot and I think I'll be fine, although I am secretly hoping for turn in the road or reverse around a corner lol.

As long as you practice, practice, practice, you'll have no problems when it comes to your test :smile:

You'll be fine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fkx
You too.

Hey sorry for my late reply. I'm sure you know best but personally changing instructors isn't much of a big deal tbh and you certainly won't be learning from scratch. You may take a short while adjusting to the new car clutch,accelerator,brake and dimensions but other than that if your general driving is okay then it doesn't matter that's the main thing.
If you find another instructor who is more patient and understanding and you feel more comfortable with him/her then don't feel hesitant to change.
Every instructor has their own method of teaching manoeuvres. Personally I always seemed to get the corner reverse on my driving tests and never had a problem with it. The key with this one is practice and coordination. I remember my dad taking me to a large empty car park in the night and I used to drive backwards and try to park the car in certain spaces. This really helped because when your reversing and straightening the wheel It's often confusing to know which way the car moves when you turn the wheel and are going backwards.
Mirror position is vital for it. Your left wing mirror is an important reference point BUT make sure you look behind and to your right aswell as many people fail this for observations. Just stop if you see anyone approaching and are unsure on what to do.

Parallel parking is the worst for me. Again the position of your left wing mirror is important as you just want to be able to see the kurb. I usually pull up parallel beside another car. Check all around and turn 1 full lock left. Stop at around 1:30 - 2 o clock and straighten the wheel. Keep coming back until the left wing mirror is just touching the kurb and then full lock right until your in and then straighten up.
However every car is different so you need to practice in the car you intend to give your test in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 989
Hope everyone's lessons are going well...

I'm going back to my old instuctor for lessons this coming week.

I want to get an earlier test date, and have been checking the website daily about 5 times. I think someone mentioned using a website, they paid £20 and got earlier dates..would like to know what website they used and if it was worth it.

How's everyone getting on?
Original post by fkx

I want to get an earlier test date, and have been checking the website daily about 5 times. I think someone mentioned using a website, they paid £20 and got earlier dates..would like to know what website they used and if it was worth it.

Not much. My last lesson was on the 22nd of December with my old instructor who told me he thinks I should be fine for my test, which was nice to hear. Got my next 2hr lesson on the 13th and test later this month :redface:
Reply 991
Oh wow....just after posting my last message, I went back onto the website and found a date for the end of February! Although, its at 2:32pm, I prefer earlier. So I'll just keep on looking, but I managed to move it up by 3 weeks
Reply 992
Original post by cherryred90s
Not much. My last lesson was on the 22nd of December with my old instructor who told me he thinks I should be fine for my test, which was nice to hear. Got my next 2hr lesson on the 13th and test later this month :redface:

That is definitely good to hear.

How often do you have lessons? and how are you feeling for your test?
Original post by fkx

When I was getting a test date (with my 3rd attempt) I was checking the booking website daily/hourly/whenever I had a free moment and managed to bring it forward a month, I never used the website that you pay for them to look for you, so I'm no use there I'm afraid, and I wouldn't know the site that people use to pay people to look :colondollar:

Hope your lessons are going well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cant wait until my next student loan comes in - can finally book my test and do a couple of lessons again!

I should really be practicing in my own car more though!
Mine was the nerves during the test, I could not handle them at all and just couldn't drive !!! I got there eventually , with a bit (A LOT) of perseverance !
Original post by fkx
That is definitely good to hear.

How often do you have lessons? and how are you feeling for your test?

I usually have lessons once a week but because of the Christmas break, I haven't been having regular lessons. Will probably have about 5 hours of lessons before my test.

I'm a little nervous for it but hopeful. Will be sure to let you all know how I do !
Original post by Supernova91
Mine was the nerves during the test, I could not handle them at all and just couldn't drive !!! I got there eventually , with a bit (A LOT) of perseverance !

This is my fear :frown:
Reply 998
Original post by ohhello92x
When I was getting a test date (with my 3rd attempt) I was checking the booking website daily/hourly/whenever I had a free moment and managed to bring it forward a month, I never used the website that you pay for them to look for you, so I'm no use there I'm afraid, and I wouldn't know the site that people use to pay people to look :colondollar:

Hope your lessons are going well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've also been checking the website daily...I remember for my last test I managed to bring it forward a month as well.

Tbh, I'm happy with the date, but not the time..would have preferred an earlier time.

I haven't had a lesson since the 23rd of December, when I took a 2 hour lesson with the new instructor. I'm going back to my old one as it's easier and will be going back to lessons this coming week. Just been a bit busy with uni assignments/revision (as well as a lot of procrastination...)
Reply 999
Original post by Supernova91

I was also very nervous more so in my last test as there was another guy in the car while I was taking the test! Made me so uncomfortable, not to mention the examiner seemed a bit annoyed even before I was in the car taking the test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending