The Student Room Group

What are your biggest turn offs on a first date?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UWS

The thing is I've never heard of people being rude to waiters on a date, this is a new thing? :lol:

I did say 'manners'. So basically not saying thank you and please, for example.
I went on a date with a guy who mocked where I live "oh my god, people actually live there?" and told me that syphilis is really common in our city. Other than that:

-Asking overly personal questions, its a first date you don't need to know my kinks and number of sexual partners.

-Ordering food for me

-Trying to one up everything I say/ having to be right about every tiny little thing
Original post by hezzlington
Your dream girl sounds like a catch....

My girlfriend at the moment is pretty much all of these.
Reply 43
Original post by MissIntrov
I did say 'manners'. So basically not saying thank you and please, for example.

Oh yeah that's true as well!
They have a penis.
Sitting there in silence. No, I'm not expecting conversation all the time. But hardly talking is just so boring. Especially when he's sat there on his phone.

I've been on a date like this. It was so boring. Never went on a date with him again.

- Asking overly personal questions
- Talking about their exes
- Lack of manners
No breathing
Reply 47
Only if they showed you :holmes:
being late is something that really bothered me in the past but my fiance was 10 minutes late and i forgave him for it, i've stopped feeling the need to be early for everything since then too.
I've never dated :tongue: My approach is the stealth tactic: befriend the person and check them out for several months before pouncing :sly:

But I have quite a few turnoffs that put men in the "over my dead body" zone immediately:
- Swagger
- Laddishness
- Overconfidence
- Greed... if somebody planned on working in investment banking, or had the life goal of being rich, that would immediately put me off.
- Being right wing
- Smoking
- Being a loud drunk
- Being less intelligent than me
- Lack of depth.. anybody whose not analytical and doesn't have any interest in talking things through thoroughly

I'm pretty sure I've got some sort of deeply ingrained evolutionary aversion to men with too much testosterone. Highly masculine facial features and excessive muscularity put me off. Of course if I got to know a guy who matched this description, I could always change my mind. But in a context like a party or a first date, these things would be turning me off. I have friends for who it's the complete opposite (except the right wing thing, lol). All of us are going to turn off some people and turn on others. Luckily there's someone for everyone, so none of this should matter :yy:
Reply 50
their name being Henry
Reply 51
or their name is Lewis Johns
Reply 52
when they fart in bed
Original post by UWS
What are things that people do on a first date that just make you get totally put off?

Got any stories to share?

Now I haven't been on a date myself (cue violins playing), but I'd say the following would put me off..

- Being late
- Texting and ignoring me

Discuss.

Oops, I've been late to two dates before. :teehee:

Spoiler

But probably, for me, rudeness-if going out for drinks-and they're rude to the bar person etc., and rude in general.

On their phone-b***h, you're out with me.

I'll come back if I think of more.
When you go out for dinner and they don't eat/only get a starter because they're too embarrassed to eat in front of you. Grow up.

If they were on their phone excessively.

:colonhash: Rude.
Reply 55
Original post by liliway
or their name is Lewis Johns

What about John Lewis? :holmes:

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Oops, I've been late to two dates before. :teehee:

Spoiler

But probably, for me, rudeness-if going out for drinks-and they're rude to the bar person etc., and rude in general.

On their phone-b***h, you're out with me.

I'll come back if I think of more.

Naughty naughty, I don't like lateness but tbh I'm not the must punctual guy myself :rofl:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
:colonhash: Rude.

Me or them?
Original post by UWS

Naughty naughty, I don't like lateness but tbh I'm not the must punctual guy myself :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm a bit hypocritical though. I'd be like 'What's taking them so long? :angry:' :lol:

Me or them?

No Bob Marley. :colonhash:
are you gay?
I'm quite a relaxed and positive person. But there are some pet peeves:

- Being negative, we're there to have fun and get to know each other more
- Expecting you to pay, I'm sorry but don't automatically assume - Yes i'll offer but at least sound appreciative, it isn't a law for me to pay!
- Talk about what you hated/liked about your Ex
- Being Rude
- Not ordering a lot because you want to make a good, clean impression - Order what you really want and DEMOLISH it, like you would a Kebab/McDonalds after a night out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending