The Student Room Group

20 and going back to uni

Okay so it's fair to say I'm a little overwhelmed.

I took a year out after having to withdraw from my first university due to personal and health problems that resulted in surgery. That was a year ago now and I've reapplied on UCAS to start over and finally do what I wanted to do.

The issue I have is I'm 20 going on 21 when I go back and although I want the whole uni experience I didn't get last time. I don't know if it's worth commuting to uni (I drive) or living in halls again?

Some friendly advise would be appreciated :smile:
Can you afford to live on campus:smile: ? If you can I don't see why not
I'd definitely suggest just commuting. I lived in halls 22/23 and I spent the year cleaning up after 17-19yos and constantly being asked "is this cooked or still raw?". Living in halls is committing to a certain quality of life unfortunately.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Can you afford to live on campus:smile: ? If you can I don't see why not

I work full time at the moment in a decent paying job so with a bit of luck I can save to afford to live at uni and have my car with money left over. Financially I can but I don't know whether socially it would be awkward...
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
I'd definitely suggest just commuting. I lived in halls 22/23 and I spent the year cleaning up after 17-19yos and constantly being asked "is this cooked or still raw?". Living in halls is committing to a certain quality of life unfortunately.

How was it like meeting people friendship wise? I know the first time round the friends that I had were due to the halls I lived in...
Reply 5
Original post by BabyChow

I took a year out after having to withdraw from my first university due to personal and health problems that resulted in surgery. That was a year ago now and I've reapplied on UCAS to start over and finally do what I wanted to do.

The issue I have is I'm 20 going on 21 when I go back and although I want the whole uni experience I didn't get last time. I don't know if it's worth commuting to uni (I drive) or living in halls again?

That depends what kind of experience you want.

I went to uni at 21 and lived in halls. Although I didn't particularly go on nights out (Id had 3 years of that already and was well over it) I enjoyed the rest of the experience. You'll live in filthy messy student conditions and sometimes you might find 18 year old behaviour a little immature. However, you'll meet more people and have more fun.
How was it like meeting people friendship wise? I know the first time round the friends that I had were due to the halls I lived in...

I spent more time with friends I made on my course than those I lived with. Felt like I was treated more as a mum in halls. :/
Reply 7
Original post by josh_v
That depends what kind of experience you want.

I went to uni at 21 and lived in halls. Although I didn't particularly go on nights out (Id had 3 years of that already and was well over it) I enjoyed the rest of the experience. You'll live in filthy messy student conditions and sometimes you might find 18 year old behaviour a little immature. However, you'll meet more people and have more fun.

I'm over the night out lifestyle. It's really getting to know people that I'm really worried about. I know I'd prefer to go from home but from what my first year was like I never really made any friends on my course... So without that I made friends in halls. I'm kind of anxious it'll be the same this time round and then if I'm commuting I'll kind of be alone 😂
Reply 8
I spent more time with friends I made on my course than those I lived with. Felt like I was treated more as a mum in halls. :/

I most definitely do not want to be the mother of any group 😂
It's easier to experience the social life aspect by living in halls. Some unis offer rather plush halls (my uni certainly does), although at a premium. Also don't worry about being 20/21. It's certainly not old for an undergrad.

I think it depends on whether you get on with the other students. A lot of them do live like pigs though.

I was a lot older than you when I went back to uni OP. It sounds like you want the whole experience, so I think you should live in halls. Don't feel self-conscious that you'll be older - you're still much the same age and nobody will even notice. It easy to lose your confidence, especially if you've been through a lot. Trust in yourself :smile:
Reply 11
I'm over the night out lifestyle. It's really getting to know people that I'm really worried about. I know I'd prefer to go from home but from what my first year was like I never really made any friends on my course... So without that I made friends in halls. I'm kind of anxious it'll be the same this time round and then if I'm commuting I'll kind of be alone 😂

Yeah I certainly made more friends with the people I lived with rather than from my course. Not that its not possible to make friends on your course.
Reply 12
Original post by YaliaV
I think it depends on whether you get on with the other students. A lot of them do live like pigs though.

I was a lot older than you when I went back to uni OP. It sounds like you want the whole experience, so I think you should live in halls. Don't feel self-conscious that you'll be older - you're still much the same age and nobody will even notice. It easy to lose your confidence, especially if you've been through a lot. Trust in yourself :smile:

It's a big decision, going from home is more appealing because I'm not a big night out person, bars/pubs yes, clubs no. in terms of making friends yes I think living in halls will be beneficial but in terms of actual studying side of uni I think I'll be more comfortable commuting 😁
Reply 13
Original post by josh_v
Yeah I certainly made more friends with the people I lived with rather than from my course. Not that its not possible to make friends on your course.

This is what has be conflicted. I didn't really make friends on my course back in 2015, I made friends in halls...
Reply 14
This is what has be conflicted. I didn't really make friends on my course back in 2015, I made friends in halls...

Perhaps first year in halls, then you have the option to move back home for second year or carry on living with people from halls or your course.

It's perfectly acceptable to go back to uni. A friend of mine on my course started uni when he was 18 dropped out after first year worked for 2 years went on a gap yah to Australia and now he's back doing a different course and he's living in halls and he also drives home every week or so. He is more focused than ever and trust me he more than indulges in univeristy life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending