The Student Room Group

Couple questions regarding conditional/unconditional offers

the title's a bit ambiguous and the post is a bit long, so bear with me

i'm a Scottish student in my 6th year, and i've applied for uni. the two main unis i'm looking at (Glasgow Calidonian and Heriot-Watt) do not require National 5 Mathemetics. GCU's Networked Systems Engineering course has the entry requirements of 4 Highers at BBBC, with one being Computing OR Maths, as well has National 5 English at a C. I currently have 4 Highers at a B (Computing Science, English, History, and Modern Studies), and I'm sitting 3 more this year. Am I likely to get an unconditional, considering I exceed the entry requirements? (if only by one grade)

another thing i'm concerned about is receiving a conditional offer from Heriot-Watt. i've applied for their Computer Systems course, which requires 5 Highers at BBBBC. as i stated before, i've got 4 Highers at a B, so in theory i only really need one more grade this year to meet their entry requirements. i'm currently sitting 4 subjects: Higher Photography, Sociology, and Geography, as well as National 5 maths. i have the N5 maths prelim tomorrow, and i really don't see myself passing it, and continuing the course. my projected grades for my Higher subjects are reasonable (B in Sociology/Geography, A in Photography). but, i've been checking my UCAS Track, and haven't heard back from HW/GCU. however, my worry is that the two courses may set National 5 maths as a condition, despite not needing it. are they likely to do this? and if this is the case, and i withdraw from my N5 maths course, would i be able to renegotiate the conditions?

long post, so thank you if you've taken the time to read it
Reply 1
If unis ask for a specific grade or subject, they want that subject. It may be because the degree demands that level of prior knowledge, or it may just be a way of cutting down application numbers. But they don't specify things just for fun, so you need the specified conditions. You're not going to "renegotiate" anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
If unis ask for a specific grade or subject, they want that subject. It may be because the degree demands that level of prior knowledge, or it may just be a way of cutting down application numbers. But they don't specify things just for fun, so you need the specified conditions. You're not going to "renegotiate" anything.

ah, right

despite neither of them requiring maths, would they be likely to set it as a condition?
Reply 3
Original post by lperry
ah, right

despite neither of them requiring maths, would they be likely to set it as a condition?

They could do. They're unlikely to, if your other subjects meet their conditions. But they can ask for whatever grades they want, so it's possible they will specify additional requirements for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
They could do. They're unlikely to, if your other subjects meet their conditions. But they can ask for whatever grades they want, so it's possible they will specify additional requirements for you.

alright, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending