The Student Room Group

Preferred first name

I'm french and my first name is really hard to pronounce in english and I don't like it so my friends call me by a completely different name. I know your preferred first name is supposed to be your nickname or your middle name, but mine really has nothing to do with my legal name.
So let's say for example my legal name is Chloé but I don't like it and everyone calls me Emma at home, can I still ask for Emma as my preferred first name ?

My second question is do most universities use preferred first name ? Or do most of them only use legal names and don't ask for preferred first name ?

Thank you !
Reply 1
Original post by edenlny
I'm french and my first name is really hard to pronounce in english and I don't like it so my friends call me by a completely different name. I know your preferred first name is supposed to be your nickname or your middle name, but mine really has nothing to do with my legal name.
So let's say for example my legal name is Chloé but I don't like it and everyone calls me Emma at home, can I still ask for Emma as my preferred first name ?

My second question is do most universities use preferred first name ? Or do most of them only use legal names and don't ask for preferred first name ?

Thank you !

I had an Indian friend who put his preferred first name as 'Jesus'. Just sayin' :cool:
Reply 2
Original post by Kyx
I had an Indian friend who put his preferred first name as 'Jesus'. Just sayin' :cool:

Did people and teachers really call him Jesus ??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by edenlny
Did people and teachers really call him Jesus ??

No, but he changed it to his nickname, which is what the teachers and everyone did call him. Imagine someone called James, and his nickname was Jazz. He put his preferred name as Jazz, which is what all the teachers and everyone else called him.
My preferred name that I put down doesn't have much in common with my legal name but I put it down anyway and no one said anything, although I don't know how different universities do it. From my experience all the staff have used my preferred name in seminars etc and I also have my preferred name on my ID card, although my legal name is on my email address and official documents. I hope that helps
Original post by edenlny

Thank you !

Lol my full name is cockerel, but i go by cock (big)
Original post by ilovebigcocker
Lol my full name is cockerel, but i go by cock (big)

Banned in 3 2 1...
Original post by edenlny

Thank you !

Can I ask what your first name is? I'm so curious now :colondollar:
Original post by cbreef
Banned in 3 2 1...

not if you get banned first :u:
Oh, don't worry about that. We're all so PC and terrified of upsetting anyone nowadays that you can request to be called whatever you want and they'll obey!
I'm sure your teachers will call you whatever you ask to be called, whether or not these things are communicated in advance is another matter and you may have to remind them a couple of times of your name but it shouldn't be an issue to them to call you by a different name. I knew a few chinese students who went by british names as they got sick of their real name being butchered and pronounced terribly all the time.
Reply 11
Original post by cbreef
Can I ask what your first name is? I'm so curious now :colondollar:

My name is Hortense, I really don't like the english pronunciation and the french pronunciation is really hard when you're not french (I tried when I went to Washington and people just ended up calling me Paris because they couldn't say my name) :biggrin:
And in France my friends call me Eden :smile:
I had to ask my lecturers not to call me by my real name. Well, that only happened in a small number of cases in the six years of education since I stopped going by it. Most of my lecturers have just picked up on what my classmates call me / have asked my name directly / or read the name I put down on my work.
Reply 13
I'm in the same boat. My real name would be equivalent of Eve but I go by Emily. All my friends call me Emily, staff too. At uni, official documents say my actual name but it's noted that I go by Emily and is sometimes added in brackets :smile: so it really doesn't matter what name you prefer to use. You will have to deal with your official name still but, if you want, most people will know you by the other one
Original post by edenlny
My name is Hortense, I really don't like the english pronunciation and the french pronunciation is really hard when you're not french (I tried when I went to Washington and people just ended up calling me Paris because they couldn't say my name) :biggrin:
And in France my friends call me Eden :smile:

Ortonse? Like that?
Original post by edenlny

Thank you !

Just tell them to call you baguette. You are French after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending