The Student Room Group

Louise's route to AAAB

Louise's route to AAAB

Who am I? 24601 no? Alexander Hamilton? Sadly not.

Hi I'm Louise, an A2 student (Year 13) and I'm hoping to Grow My Grades (given the discussion!) I'm new to the Grow Your Grades competition on here, so this is my first time participating!

I'm hoping to increase them enough to meet my King's College offer of AAA to study History and War Studies - but AAB can also work for my Second Choice course at Birmingham (Joint Honours: Archaeology and Ancient History, and History)

I decided to enter this competition because I feel that my motivation is lacking, and needs a boost for me to Grow my Grades. :smile:

What am I studying?

Last year for AS, I took 4 AS levels, but dropped Psychology after getting a D in the exam; while I only took it due to needing 4, the drop from A in lessons to D in the exam put me off. My other three grades came out as ABC. (Only the AS grades for classics are going to contribute to the A2 grade)

In my Second Year, I am continuing with the other three:

OCR History - A at AS

AQA Classical Civilisation - C at AS

Edexcel English Literature - B at AS

And I have also taken on the Extended Project, writing about the historical comparisons to Daenerys from Game of Thrones (I'm a nerd and I'm working with it)

Current working grades- January 2017.

From the higher grades at AS, my grades haven't been the best. History, which I am aiming to Get an A or higher (A is the grade I need for both courses I want to study at) has fallen down to a D/C average. But I think this is because I'm not entirely fond of the A2 unit (Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964) My coursework is about the battles during the First World War - a topic that I have always held quite a lot of interest in, so I'm hoping for A/A*

English literature has remained consistent with the AS grades, and the marks I received throughout last year, with C/B grades. However, my Literature teacher openly says that she marks the essays harshly, so this may be a solid B. My draft for coursework is due on January 20th, and I'm hoping that it's B/A grade? Hopefully.

Classical Civilisation - which ended up at a C in the final exam - was a far cry from the B/A estimates from the December mocks. One of the papers (CIVIC - Aristophanes Comedy) ended up as a D, so I am re-sitting this paper as well as taking the two A2 papers. Currently, I have finished learning everything from the first paper for A2 - and averaged a low B.

Extended Project: I am far behind where I am anticipating to be at this point. I began the qualification in early November, due to registering late, but the first draft is due before February half term (20th Feb) and is currently only 150 words long. I currently have no target grade for this, and instead aiming for an A, which reduces my offer for several courses - including the one from Birmingham!

EDIT: As of January, no Mock exams have been completed, and they're going to done in March (The week after I go to Italy!) but I do have the records of the previous grades I achieved in assessments:

History - I can't remember what mark exactly, but it was around low C grade.

English Literature - my English teacher marks only by grade - B/B+

Classical Civilisation - 57/75 - B grade according to 2016 grade boundaries.

Mock Grades:

Spoiler

Coursework Marks:

Spoiler

The future?

If the Olympic Archery thing doesn't work out, then I'd like to go and get a PhD in Archaeology, and then maybe go on to work in areas surrounding that interest. On a whim, I have looked at jobs at the Imperial War Museum in London, and found several I find interesting, so maybe aim for something similar? Something like working in an archive would probably suit me best.

Looking back on what I've done before concerning revision blogs etc, I haven't been very consistent with updating so I'm hoping that this will motivate me to do better! I always end up colour coordinating each subject, so be prepare for notes to be in certain colours!

This will probably be a mix of photos of my work, as well as my commentary on said images, as well as about things that have not had photos added here - most likely including opinions on my work ethic and belief in gaining AAAB

Louise :smile: (Can you tell I like smileys yet?)

EDIT: For anyone looking for a mind a work (like dear Angelica Schuyler) you've come to the right place! :work::work::work::work::work:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Louise's route to AAAB

Who am I? 24601 no? Alexander Hamilton? Sadly not.

Hi I'm Louise, an A2 student (Year 13) and I'm hoping to Grow My Grades (given the discussion!) I'm new to the Grow Your Grades competition on here, so this is my first time participating!

I'm hoping to increase them enough to meet my King's College offer of AAA to study History and War Studies - but AAB can also work for my Second Choice course at Birmingham (Joint Honours: Archaeology and Ancient History, and History)

I decided to enter this competition because I feel that my motivation is lacking, and needs a boost for me to Grow my Grades. :smile:

What am I studying?

Last year for AS, I took 4 AS levels, but dropped Psychology after getting a D in the exam; while I only took it due to needing 4, the drop from A in lessons to D in the exam put me off. My other three grades came out as ABC. (Only the AS grades for classics are going to contribute to the A2 grade)

In my Second Year, I am continuing with the other three:

OCR History - A at AS

AQA Classical Civilisation - C at AS

Edexcel English Literature - B at AS

And I have also taken on the Extended Project, writing about the historical comparisons to Daenerys from Game of Thrones (I'm a nerd and I'm working with it)

Current working grades- January 2017.

From the higher grades at AS, my grades haven't been the best. History, which I am aiming to Get an A or higher (A is the grade I need for both courses I want to study at) has fallen down to a D/C average. But I think this is because I'm not entirely fond of the A2 unit (Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964) My coursework is about the battles during the First World War - a topic that I have always held quite a lot of interest in, so I'm hoping for A/A*

English literature has remained consistent with the AS grades, and the marks I received throughout last year, with C/B grades. However, my Literature teacher openly says that she marks the essays harshly, so this may be a solid B. My draft for coursework is due on January 20th, and I'm hoping that it's B/A grade? Hopefully.

Classical Civilisation - which ended up at a C in the final exam - was a far cry from the B/A estimates from the December mocks. One of the papers (CIVIC - Aristophanes Comedy) ended up as a D, so I am re-sitting this paper as well as taking the two A2 papers. Currently, I have finished learning everything from the first paper for A2 - and averaged a low B.

Extended Project: I am far behind where I am anticipating to be at this point. I began the qualification in early November, due to registering late, but the first draft is due before February half term (20th Feb) and is currently only 150 words long. I currently have no target grade for this, and instead aiming for an A, which reduces my offer for several courses - including the one from Birmingham!

The future?

If the Olympic Archery thing doesn't work out, then I'd like to go and get a PhD in Archaeology, and then maybe go on to work in areas surrounding that interest. On a whim, I had looked at jobs at the Imperial War Museum in London, and found several I find interesting, so maybe aim for something similar? Something like working in an archive would probably suit me best.

Looking back on what I've done before concerning revision blogs etc, I haven't been very consistent with updating so I'm hoping that this will motivate me to do better! I always end up colour coordinating each subject, so be prepare for notes to be in certain colours!

This will probably be a mix of photos of my work, as well as my commentary on said images, as well as about things that have not had photos added here - most likely including opinions on my work ethic and belief in gaining AAAB

Louise :smile: (Can you tell I like smileys yet?)

LOVE your idea for the EPQ! Good luck! :biggrin:
excited to see your progress! :smile:xx
Original post by chelseadagg3r
LOVE your idea for the EPQ! Good luck! :biggrin:

Aww, thanks! I'm a nerd in all but title, and I felt that Game of Thrones allowed for more debate than Lord of the Rings would (which was my second choice topic).

Original post by misstiah_h
excited to see your progress! :smile:xx

So am I! I'm so excited to look back at this in a few weeks and see just how far I've come!
Day One:

I've had three lessons today: Double history followed by English Literature. Thursday mornings are dedicated to history coursework in my college, so I was able to edit my newest version; the current word count is at 3,437 out of a max of 4,000. :smile: I'm hoping to get the Lawrence of Arabia paragraph complete by the end of the weekend (which may include reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom), letting me focus on the nitpicking of other paragraphs, and hopefully some more analysis!

English literature was focusing on finishing the William Blake poems, so we covered The Tyger. I found this great fun, especially debating over the meaning - something that's always fun for me. (No wonder I received higher marks on the poetry paper last year - but I definitely find Romantic Poetry more exciting that some of the 21st Century ones we covered!)

With three hours before I had the chance to go home due to lifts, I spent time waiting by re-reading drafts of English literature coursework - which is comparing rebellion in The Hunger Games and The Book Thief.

A brief look over the Aristophanes' play "The Acharnians" before tomorrow's 9:15 Classics lesson where we will most likely continue reading through it.
Attached is a photo of the notes I made for edits required for my history coursework; each is colour coordinated depending on the AO being assessed:
AO1 - How the essay is written and debated - is in yellow.
AO2 - Primary sources and their evaluation - is in pink.
AO3 - Historical interpretations and debates from historians and their evaluation - is in blue
Day Two (Yesterday):

Yesterday I had given up my frees to re-sit the Aristophanic Comedy paper, and began sitting in those lessons to learn the information again. I am definitely finding it a lot easier than I had done last year, and am already seeing the benefits of sitting in on those lessons! We did two kahoot quizzes during that lesson, and I ranked first and third in both (although the second was on the other AS paper, and out of 11 other people studying that paper, I say I did rather well!)

Homework: read and annotate the Acharnians up to the introduction of Lamachus for Friday 27th January.

In my Classics A2 lessons, we covered Tiberius' successes and failures concerning his Frontier and Provincial Policies. In Teams of two, we each did half of the work, and then taught it to the other - which I found really helped because my partner is the task appreciated the debate that unfolded. The work was the basis of a complete section A assessment which we would be completing Friday 27th January (as we have no lessons on Wednesday due to Parent's Evening)

Homework: Prepare for the section A assessment, and write an overall conclusion (500 words) about Tiberius and the People.

English literature at the end of the day began covering the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. But as we are the last class of the week, our teacher decided to make it more relaxing and fun, and gave us illustrations of the poem and asked us to pick out points that might be covered in the poem (even though only 2 people had read the poem so far, almost all of us picked out the key themes). It was also nice to discuss the end of the Tyger again, as she had not covered everything she wanted to in the previous lesson - which proved that I knew more about poem terminology than I had thought!

Homework: To read the first part of Rime of the Ancient Mariner for Monday.

Due to delayed trains, I did not get home as early as I was anticipating, but I still managed to get some work done. With the second draft of my Literature coursework handed in after lesson, I decided to begin researching more for my History one; I have ordered a copy of T.E Lawrence's The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, which I hope to read and use as a primary source in the essay.

I don't fell that I achieved as much as I could have done, given that it was a Friday and I did not have to worry about getting certain amounts of sleep/ waking up early for college.

Imagines in order:

screenshot of the end of the Kahoot quiz (my friend and I were Anne Bonny and Mary Read - 1st and 2nd respectively)

A photo of some of the work in A2 Classics - the crossword that linked some of the class work as well as the previous homework.

First page of images from English literature for the Ancient Marnier

Second Page of imagines for the Ancient Mariner.

The list I made on the train ride home about what I'm hoping to achieve this weekend.

(edited 7 years ago)
So apparently the images didn't want to load in the previous one, so here they are (or should be)

Kahoot 1st.jpg
Attachment not found

(images 3,4,5 not working, will be added later)
(edited 7 years ago)
Days Three and Four:

Most of this weekend has been spent organising notes and throwing away notes from psychology (which I am not studying anymore). Estimating, I think I threw away roughly 200 pieces of paper, and that may even be more. I organised any loose papers that I found in an array of piles by my workstation - cutting down the mess and finding a load of space that I could use to store my notebooks and folders!

More work was on my extended project, with the final structure organised. I still need to find more sources - of which I have eight at the moment. I ordered A world of Ice and Fire this weekend, which should arrive Wednesday (which I also have off).

Going back over notes for AS Classics, I found I remember more than I think I do? Especially on Knights and Peace which I have yet to do in lesson. Thinking back now, I feel that it was just the structure of my essay, and the amount of waffle let me down - something I need to ask about in order to cut down.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner has been printed off in preparation for tomorrow's lesson, and I shall make some preliminary annotations before that time.

Mental health: Okay, stressed concerning the lack of work done in the EPQ, but I am planning to write as much as possible in my free Wednesday :smile: Mainly I've been tired, but I think that getting down to work and increasing my grades might lift my mood (like the win in Kahoot on Friday!) :smile:

Life balance: This weekend: Life took over, and it was out of general laziness. I've spent roughly two hours each day (Saturday and Sunday) organising notes and planning the week ahead. This included the meetings and extra-curricular activities I am intending to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Day Five:

A lot of stress was unfolded today, mainly this morning, so I've not exactly been in the best mood (although I'm trying my best)

Firstly, the meeting with my Extended Project supervisor resulted in me being classed as far behind (even though other groups in college doing the EPQ are being given later deadlines). I am now under massive amounts of pressure to write as much as possible in the three weeks, which is when she wants the First Draft in to check over. I have 67 words written out of a possible 5,000 - and that's all titles and subheadings!

I spent my free hour following this meeting organising the work I plan to do over the next three weeks (as per her suggestions) and this led to me to realise just how little time I have. I am still anticipating to do as much work as possible on my free day Wednesday, and am trying to find a decent balance of work and Extended Project research, and I am editing a 14 hour, 7-day timetable to show the in depth aims and targets of what I want to be achieved and when.

Aims: Tomorrow, I intend to use my three hours free in the morning to write as much as possible with the information that I have at the moment, and then conduct some more research for the historical side of the project.

By this point, I was already wanting to cry and then they released the general timetable for the April mocks. And I am astounded that I didn't cry at this point either. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday have moments where I have two exams timetabled at the same time. And they are the ones that require the most writing. Help.
But on the plus side, my History lesson told me that The Crusades paper was not listed there because it was being completed before the February half term. So at least there's sone reduced stress with that paper being so early :smile:

English Literature: Today we began covering Rime of the Ancient Mariner, beginning it as if seeing an unseen poem (our teacher believes it's going to give a decent amount of practice to do studied poems like this every now and then). From discussing it with the people on our tables, to as a class, I astounded myself with how much I was able to get out of just preliminary thoughts. And this was just from Part 1 of the poem! Tomorrow we continue the poem, and might be moving onto part 2 on Thursday.

History: Today was one of the few days where I understood everything that we'd learned in lesson! We'd watched a 20 minute video about the July Days and October 1917 revolution, and then did work concerning how the Bolsheviks were able to seize power. The lesson was enjoyable, and talking the work through with those sitting nearby really helped my understanding of the information. No homework was set, but I will attempt to refine my notes and increase how well I can remember it.
(edited 7 years ago)
The brief amount of notes taken during the discussion with my Extended Project Supervisor:

More substance to debate with.

o what detail for the comparisons?

o weight of the research

§ make the historical side just as thorough.

o Stuff you couldn't get off the internet in 10 minutes - read deeper into the novels?

Prioritise research!

o Wednesday 25th.

Advise:

Insert a detailed plan of what jobs(what do I need to know about who I am writing about) you want to have achieved by when. the next 3 weeks.

Attach behind page 9. (tick off when completed)

~*~

Bring in everything written so far - 30th Jan.
Day Six:

With two hours free (9am to 11am), I was able finish organising the work needing to be done for the Extended Project. It also allowed me to think of some questions that I could ask/present in my essay's introduction. I plan to write it tomorrow during my free day. With Rise of the Tomb Raider cutscenes in the background, and copious amounts of tea, I got down to work. Nice to know that I am once gain in the middle of a motivational period (and watch this not last long!)

I also began making notes on the AS Classics work relating to the Acharnians. This consisted of making annotations of key moments in the next 3 or 4 pages of the play - up until the moment where Lamachus arrives. Unlike last year, I am focusing more on the types of humour that are presented in the play - something I didn't pay attention to as much as I should have before. I think I'm already understanding the plays more, and am ready to get that B grade in the re-sit!!

As no homework was set in either History or Literature yesterday, I instead spent some time looking over previous notes - mainly history, as I am more unsure with this subject, and I want to do well!

English literature was essentially the same as yesterday, covering the deeper elements of Part 1 of Ancient Mariner.

Homework: Print off part 2 and annotate as much as you can with your initial thoughts. For Thursday.

History: The next page in the booklet was completed - small practices concerning interpretation questions (which is a likely topic for that question) as well as more discussions about Lenin's involvement in the October Revolution.
As well as this, we were told that we have an assessment during either Tuesday's or Thursday's lesson next week (the question and sources are being revealed in Thursday's lesson - 26th) I intend to do better in this essay that the previous interpretation one, which only gained me 13 marks out of a possible 30. My goal is 15 or higher (even that small amount of improvement will make me proud.)

Optional Homework: Our teacher gave us an exam question relating to the historical interpretations we covered in class today, saying we could write a practice paragraph if we wanted. I intend to do a full essay to get the practice in.

I also had a meeting during lunch concerning my leadership position within college, so no work was completed during that 45 minute period. However, it did get me to leave the small revision area I'd been sitting in for almost 4 hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ancient Mariner notes.jpg

Here's the first page of three containing the annotations for Part 1 of Ancient Marnier!
EPQ intro notes.jpg

Here are the questions and ideas I came up with this morning concerning the introduction for the Extended Project essay!
Friday 27th January:

As I had 4 hours of Classics today, so with no free time in college, I had no time for revision in free time. It also meant I had no lunch, with only 10 minutes to go and grab food before heading off to a meeting that lasted the entire lunch period.

AS Classics - The two hours were going through the work completed as homework in the week between lessons - and discussing different points, adding focus on the narrative of the story, as well as types of humour. Most of what I'd covered in this time period was discussed in lesson, so I felt that I had covered everything possible and that I was confident in that section of the play!

A2 Classics - no work was done per say in lesson, with the first hour being used to complete a complete Section A for Tiberius and Claudius paper. I was so stressed. I wasn't in the lessons where we were taught what was in the test - and so I was almost in tears at the thought of getting a terrible mark.
The Assessment marks have already been revealed on the online system used in college - and I achieved 22 out of 35 marks. Considering I was thinking I had achieved 11 or lower, I was majorly surprised.
(Kudos to my classics teacher who had to deal with me freaking out before and after the assessment about low marks and being stupid etc. etc.)
The second hour was spent watching another episode of I, Claudius, and while watching I took the initiative and began writing some of the work for my Extended Project. As such, what others took to be a free hour, I actually managed to get some work done!

In English Literature, we began part 3 of the Ancient Mariner, and sent quite a lot of time focusing on the gothic elements of this section of the poem. As someone who is not as familiar with the poem or the elements of gothic literature (some are reading Frankenstein for coursework) and our teacher taught the gothic papers from the previous exam spec, I didn't speak up as much as I normally do, but I still tried.
(edited 7 years ago)
Saturday 28th January:

(as you can tell I've stopped counting the days - oh well; I think the dates works better)

ANYWAY!

A lazy Saturday did not occur this weekend, as I woke up early waiting for a delivery of new Timberland boots to arrive - they are amazing and I love them :smile: (they're a little treat to myself)

So with the extra 4 hours (what?!) I spent awake I got to work.

Extended Project: More organising was completed, as well as more detail added to the plan. I anticipate to write a load over the course of the next 36 hours before my next meeting (it's also being fuelled by the sense of crippling failure)

History: A lot of coursework was completed. I have written roughly 150 words, bringing me very close to the word count limit - so I have taken the decision to remove the paragraphs on flamethrowers and Lawrence of Arabia. To keep an eye on Ao2 and Ao3, I have added colour-coded tabs to the newest version that I printed out today; with these tabs being few (there was only 5 in BOTH of the AO's) so I now know what I need to improve and gain more marks. Thus, bringing me closer to the A* level that I am aiming for.

Spoiler

history coursework tabs.jpg

This ^ is what I meant by the tabs; pink is for the analysis of primary sources, and blue is for historian's debates. (there is a pink one hidden behind the right blue tab)

The arrows indicate which ones need to be edited and added into the coursework.
(edited 7 years ago)
Monday 30th January:

Today was a little different than normal due to my mum working from home, and my history lesson being canceled due to my teacher being absent on a trip to the Houses of Parliament. And because of this, I was able to go home earlier than usual, which has made all the difference in my productivity. (It also meant that running to get the next train managed to fit in my cardio for the day - perhaps it was a great idea to wear my Fitbit today!)

The only downside to this short day and increased productivity means that I rarely saw my closest friend today; like me, her history lesson was canceled so she arrived during the last 20 minutes of lunch - and just before I left to go to my English literature lesson.

But with a later start than usual, I spent the first 35 minutes before my extended project meeting making any amendments to the essay that I felt comfortable with. I also typed up sections that I had initially hand-written due to writing the sections while on the move, or when I was unable to reach my laptop. (Plus I felt that I put more effort thought into extracts that I write out myself rather than if I type, so hopefully this will increase my grade if I keep this up!)

The meeting itself only lasted 20 minutes as opposed to the allotted full hour. However, this was mostly likely due to the fact that it was essentially a 1-to-1 lesson, with the other in my 'class' further ahead than I, and more secure with their project (on triops if you're wondering!) in comparison to where I was a week ago. The meeting consisted of my supervisor reading what I had written in my essay so far, talking her through what I had done in the previous week, and what I anticipate to do in the 23 days before the first draft is due, as well as talking about any questions I had concerning the layout of the essay itself. At the end, she was confident enough that I am now at the same position in writing my essay, and that next week's meeting would not be needed unless a major problem arose in the next few days.

NEXT 7 DAYS: I set myself the target of writing 500-1000 words. My current world count (typed up) is 444. I feel that this target is achievable, and if I put my mind to it, then I could even exceed that.
Tuesday 31st January!

Yay, month one of the year is over! But today I had an unexpected day off college due to injuring my foot yesterday :cry:I should be okay to go back in tomorrow, but I took the decision to have today off and rest. :nurse:

But I already knew what I was doing in my two lessons today - covering part 4 of the Ancient Mariner, and the assessment question on the Provisional Government.

I printed off part 4 of the poem, and annotated the poem as best I was able on my own - no doubt that I'll compare notes in Friday's lesson (due to Thursday's being canceled with my teacher being at a conference about A-level coursework.)

This morning was rather slow, with me getting up usual time, but spending most of the morning watching Stranger Things and Black Mirror.

It was then followed by an hour or so attempting to beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon Pearl (it's been ages since I've played the game I've almost forgotten how to do it!) :pika::pika: But I managed it on my third try! It definitely lifted my mood, putting me in the right frame of mind to do some work!

I set out wanting to read the chapter of Tingay that I was set on Friday for A2 Classics; given that the work was divided between two people, the work I'm reading will no bout consist of me teaching it to the person next to me in class tomorrow morning. So I've highlighted sections of interest, and will most likely make bullet points condensing the information. :work:
Tuesday 31st.

Part 2.

I did feel like this section was worth fitting into the other part, but here we go.

Since the last update- an hour or so ago - "friends" have essentially been sending negatively reinforced comments over to me, essentially taking the joke about why I had today off college. I know they're attempting to mean well, but I just don't think that I am taking this as well as I should be.

Spoiler

I think right now, considering I had set myself personal goals to lose weight and get fit - improving both physical and mental health by my trip to Italy in 50 days - this is not something I was expecting.
It's just making me feel slightly more isolated, and now it might affect everything else. Tips to get over this emotional slump are greatly received at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending