The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WoodyMKC
Roundabouts are so odd. When you're learning to drive, they're an absolute nightmare for a lot of people. Once you've been driving a while though and done loads of roundabouts, they literally couldn't be more simple. I used to get nervous coming up to roundabouts even as I was advanced enough to take my test and even for a while after I'd passed; now, I could be in a totally new area, decide which exit I need to take at a roundabout and that's it, habit just takes over, I could be faffing about with my radio, having a conversation with someone and just navigate the roundabout in heavy traffic without even really thinking about it. In other words, they definitely get easer the more you do them :smile:

I can't wait for this day!
Reply 1021
Seems like something is teling me i wont pass my test before my theory expires...

My test was booked for 24th of February..thought I'd have enough time to practice and pass it. I fell ill this weekend, literally been bed-bound and so didnt have a lesson this week. I dont think I'll be test ready in 2 weeks time so just rebooked and next available date is first week of April!

Will be checking back to see earlier dates and having regular lessons. if i feel ready for the test well before April, I think I'll use a website to get me an earlier date

Worst comes to worst, I'll have to retake my theory!

Hows everyone else?
Got my test coming up on the 16th Feb. I go out in my car along country lanes and residential areas, and i'm doing manouvers in my lessons with the instructor (as i think it would get so confusing being in a different car). I had a dream last night that I actually passed my test and I couldn't believe it when I woke up :colonhash:
Original post by fkx
Seems like something is teling me i wont pass my test before my theory expires...

My test was booked for 24th of February..thought I'd have enough time to practice and pass it. I fell ill this weekend, literally been bed-bound and so didnt have a lesson this week. I dont think I'll be test ready in 2 weeks time so just rebooked and next available date is first week of April!

Will be checking back to see earlier dates and having regular lessons. if i feel ready for the test well before April, I think I'll use a website to get me an earlier date

Worst comes to worst, I'll have to retake my theory!

Hows everyone else?

Aw bless, hopefully you'll get your practical done and dusted and you pass :smile:

I'm good thanks, how're you?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
I can't wait for this day!

Driving in general is mostly one of those things, the more you do it the easier everything becomes. Though, I still know a lot of people who can't parallel park or reverse bay park for example because after their test they've always avoided it - never a good idea. They're not even hard IMO but I've always made a point of never letting myself forget how to do it, I do both quite regularly and they're just second nature now.
Driving in general is mostly one of those things, the more you do it the easier everything becomes. Though, I still know a lot of people who can't parallel park or reverse bay park for example because after their test they've always avoided it - never a good idea. They're not even hard IMO but I've always made a point of never letting myself forget how to do it, I do both quite regularly and they're just second nature now.

Tbf I haven't had to parallel park since passing my test as I haven't needed to parallel park :redface: but with reverse park I try and do it whenever I can :redface:, though the last time I reverse parked into a parking space was around 2/3 weeks ago and done it well :redface: but yeah if you try and stick to the reference points you've been taught when learning/find your own reference points then it's not hard :biggrin:, and I've recently started to reverse my car into my driveway, so I'm still finding reference points for that too, as parking down my road is awful, and the reference point I've found can be awkward for me to follow through if a car is parked where I have my car before reversing into my driveway (if that makes sense :colondollar:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Roundabouts are so odd. When you're learning to drive, they're an absolute nightmare for a lot of people. Once you've been driving a while though and done loads of roundabouts, they literally couldn't be more simple. I used to get nervous coming up to roundabouts even as I was advanced enough to take my test and even for a while after I'd passed; now, I could be in a totally new area, decide which exit I need to take at a roundabout and that's it, habit just takes over, I could be faffing about with my radio, having a conversation with someone and just navigate the roundabout in heavy traffic without even really thinking about it. In other words, they definitely get easer the more you do them :smile:

That's what my dad says, although it doesn't appear to have happened yet for me.. and quite a few times I have veered across into the wrong lane, no indicating, out of pure confusion :doh:Thank god for Sunday mornings at 9am being pretty quiet.. I'm okay if it's quietish, so I don't panic as much, but 5 o'clock rush hour may kill me ..
Original post by petite-abi
That's what my dad says, although it doesn't appear to have happened yet for me.. and quite a few times I have veered across into the wrong lane, no indicating, out of pure confusion :doh:Thank god for Sunday mornings at 9am being pretty quiet.. I'm okay if it's quietish, so I don't panic as much, but 5 o'clock rush hour may kill me ..

How long have you been driving now? I still made some silly mistakes after passing my test but I don't really make them anymore.
I'm really struggling with roundabouts. From day 1 it's been my ultimate weakness :frown: I find the main problem is I don't have quick enough reactions to look then go immediately if it's safe. I tend to hesitate slightly and make damn sure it's safe before I move off again even when turning left. I hate small roundabouts for it, feel like I have more time with large ones. I just know it's what I'm going to fail on undoubtedly. I've been learning since July and my test is start of April and even when I'm all sorted with my gear and indication and lane and where I'm going well before I get to getting onto it, I just can't "risk it" and look and go. Doesn't help that half the time the indication of others drivers is questionable to say the least...I think I'm going to start looking moreso at the positioning of the wheels and the speed of cars on the right. Does anyone else struggle with hesitation?
How long have you been driving now? I still made some silly mistakes after passing my test but I don't really make them anymore.

4 months as of yesterday, meant to be going for my test end of March, and yes, I think you do the most learning when you're in your own car alone!
Original post by kate113855
I'm really struggling with roundabouts. From day 1 it's been my ultimate weakness :frown: I find the main problem is I don't have quick enough reactions to look then go immediately if it's safe. I tend to hesitate slightly and make damn sure it's safe before I move off again even when turning left. I hate small roundabouts for it, feel like I have more time with large ones. I just know it's what I'm going to fail on undoubtedly. I've been learning since July and my test is start of April and even when I'm all sorted with my gear and indication and lane and where I'm going well before I get to getting onto it, I just can't "risk it" and look and go. Doesn't help that half the time the indication of others drivers is questionable to say the least...I think I'm going to start looking moreso at the positioning of the wheels and the speed of cars on the right. Does anyone else struggle with hesitation?

I can't count the amount of times I've heard, ''go go go!!'' then ''woaaaaah'' then
-stalls car-

(that's me stalling the car after being too hesitant) :h: i really hate roundabouts.. I really prefer to come to a stop, it makes me feel much more certain. But I think it's just one of those things you get better at and more confident at, so I wouldn't worry too much just now
I finally passed yesterday after 1 and 1/2 years of learning, on my second attempt! The funny thing is that I did not feel confident for this test at all, I even told my parents not to expect anything... In addition I had to do my worst manoeuvre, left reverse around the corner. I had hardly got it right during my lessons, but just on the test I nailed it SOMEHOW! It still feels unreal...
Original post by petite-abi

I had a lesson at 3pm yesterday. I've never had one so late in the day, it's usually in the morning and oh my gosh was it busy! I panicked so much at traffic lights and roundabouts because I'd look in my mirrors and see loads of people behind me and I didn't want to hold them up, so I tried to set off quickly and what happened? A big fat stallx2. I haven't stalled in so long I wanted to kick myself :frown:
Original post by Ohmydog
I finally passed yesterday after 1 and 1/2 years of learning, on my second attempt! The funny thing is that I did not feel confident for this test at all, I even told my parents not to expect anything... In addition I had to do my worst manoeuvre, left reverse around the corner. I had hardly got it right during my lessons, but just on the test I nailed it SOMEHOW! It still feels unreal...

This is amazing. Congratulations!
Nothing :biggrin:
The steering bracket on my car needs replacing :/
Original post by cherryred90s
I had a lesson at 3pm yesterday. I've never had one so late in the day, it's usually in the morning and oh my gosh was it busy! I panicked so much at traffic lights and roundabouts because I'd look in my mirrors and see loads of people behind me and I didn't want to hold them up, so I tried to set off quickly and what happened? A big fat stallx2. I haven't stalled in so long I wanted to kick myself :frown:

I have the exact same problem! I do well but then traffic behind makes me panic. I noticed a huge bus was behind me at a junction and I stalled because of it. I have the same problem as you where I panic that I'm being too slow and holding them up.. but I guess it's just a fear we have to get over unfortunately :frown:
Reply 1037
Hows everyone's lessons going?

I have my test booked for beginning of April, desperately need to pass this as my theory expires in June and I wont be able to rebook another before that. But i keep messing up at the most silliest things which is making me nervous for the test.
Still haven't got the hang of manoeuvres and I've had over 30 lessons now...
- Big three lane roundabouts
- 5th gear
- Turning into sideroads, doesn't always get slow enough

(Test at the end of week, fingers and toes all crossed)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Neddie001
- Big three lane roundabouts
- 5th gear
- Turning into sideroads, doesn't always get slow enough

(Test at the end of week, fingers and toes all crossed)

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending