The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am a student from Greece now studying in Wales (University of Wales Trinity Saint David's), and am in my first year of Environment and Energy Engineering.

Before coming here, I managed to get a scholarship to another University in the USA, and was there for two years before leaving (without a degree) because I found I disliked the liberal arts educational system.

Until now, I was under the impression (and everything I read verified this) that through Student Finance Wales and the Student Loan Company I would be eligible for a tuition fee grant of 5,100 pounds (would not have to pay back) and could take out a loan of 3,900 pounds (would have to pay back) to cover the total uni fees of 9,000 pounds. This would be the case for the duration of an undergraduate degree.

Yesterday I received a letter, saying that I am eligible to receive student finance for the number of years of my course (3) plus one additional year (3+1=4 years of possible finance). However, they said that because I have already completed two years in the USA towards an undergraduate degree, I am only eligible for student finance for two years (4 - 2=2). Even though my previous studies are completely unrelated to my current area of study, and I cannot transfer credits, and must start again from the beginning, I cannot take out a student loan, or get the grant, meaning I have to pay the full fees of 9000 pounds upfront for one of the years at Uni.

To make it worse, the year I would have to pay for is the first year of my studies (ie by this summer), and not my final year. If it were my final year, I could have saved 9000 pounds from the part time job I have and possible summer internships or jobs.

Does anyone know of any hardship funds or possible solutions to get funding for my first year? I currently have a part time job and work just under 30hr/week, and don't think I could handle much more. I have some money saved, and my parents are willing to provide some of the money, but my finances are tight at the moment.
Original post by maryness
Hi, could you still qualify for the maintenance loan if your parents are EEA workers even though you're personally employed yet?

Yes! Your parents must be living and working in the UK and they must be able to prove it. They must continue to work and must also be able to demonstrate they are still empoyed at the start of each term, as the will be asked by Student Finance. The best evidence most commnly used is P60s, Official employer letters or contracts (on company headed paper), and recent wage slips.
Original post by literaturista
Hi,
I'm a EU student but been living in England for the past 12 years, I was just wondering how the amount of money I could be eligible to receive changes between English unis and Scottish unis?
Thanks!

Hi,

We can only provide estimate amounts of funding that you may be eligible for as it will be dependent on the household income.

For students living away from home outside London can apply for up to £ 8430. Students living away from home in London can apply for up to £ 11002.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Original post by c9hris0
Hello,

I applied in February 2016 for my student tuition fee and Maintenance loan as UK student and my application is refused because I missed 2 weeks in my residency in UK. How to cancel this application and apply for Tuition fee? and If I have low income do you have any different way to help for example Bursary? Thank you.

Hi,

You would need to complete and EU16N application on paper if you are wanting the fees paid for the 16/17 academic year. This will automatically delete your other application and allow us to fund the tuition fees for you. Depending on your university there might be the EU bursary available.

Thanks.
Original post by RainyLou
I am an EU student. After July this year I will have lived in the UK for 10 years (half my life), what I am confused about is that I moved to Asia for 2 years with my parents for their work as expats when I was 16 and graduated high school there and came back to the UK at 18. That was almost 2 years ago now and I am now 20. Im very confused about whether I am eligible for student maintenance loans or not since it says on the gov website I should be eligible if I've lived in the UK for half my life which I will have before I start uni.

Hi,

You would need to provide evidence that the time outside the UK was on a temporary basis. We can then look into seeing if you are eligible for the funding as a home student. If you are not able to prove this you will need to be living in the UK for 5 years before the start of your course of currently working in the UK while you study.

Thanks.
Original post by antoniolebon
I'm an EU student. I have two questions:
1) Do I have to mantain a certain average grade to keep the finance for Tutition fees for all the course?
2) Will I be able to apply for postgraduate finance after three years of undergraduate studies?

Hi,

No you do not have to have a specific grade to keep receiving the tuition fee loan, also yes you can apply for the PG loan after your undergraduate course.

Thanks.
Original post by lostre93

As an EU student, am I eligible for the postgraduate loan for studies in Scotland?
Also, concerning that I can apply for the postgraduate loan only after I am accepted to the programme which I cannot afford without the loan, what are the chances of finally receiving the loan?

Hi,

EU Students can only apply for a PG loan for courses studied in England.

Thanks.
Should I have a bank account when I apply for loan ? If yes, how can I do it if I live outside of the UK?
Reply 28
Hi,
I've been studying in England for 2 years now as an EU student,and I want to apply for a student loan for my university degree.What evidence I should provide and when do I apply for the student loan? Thank you
Original post by lostre93

As an EU student, am I eligible for the postgraduate loan for studies in Scotland?
Also, concerning that I can apply for the postgraduate loan only after I am accepted to the programme which I cannot afford without the loan, what are the chances of finally receiving the loan?

Hi

EU students must be attending a course delivered in England.

Thanks
I am classed as an EU fee student, my mother is an EU national and works over 16 hours a week but has a annual income that is under £20,000. I have resided in England for almost seven years now and have never left the country since entering it. I will be studying Adult nursing in London (KCL) and I'm wondering if I'll be entitled to the full maintenance loan?
Reply 31
Hi
as an EU student can I also ask for a maintenance loan? I've been working in UK for almost an year now and I applied for courses starting in 2017/2018.
How and when do I have to apply for a maintenance loan ?
In addition, will loans cover all the duration of the courses ?
Thank you
Original post by Andreea97
Should I have a bank account when I apply for loan ? If yes, how can I do it if I live outside of the UK?

An EU loan is paid directly to your university to pay your tuition fees - you don't need to give bank account details
Original post by corinahn
Hi,
I've been studying in England for 2 years now as an EU student,and I want to apply for a student loan for my university degree.What evidence I should provide and when do I apply for the student loan? Thank you

If you have only been resident in the UK for 2 years then you're only eligible for the tuition fee loan (not the living costs loan).
The OLD form is here to give you an idea of what is required http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pn1_form_1617_d.pdf (and the evidence forms/information for the OLD form is here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student )
You should be able to apply in the next month or so.

EU applications are 100% PAPER form based. NO online applications.

Original post by LeoBalde
Hi
as an EU student can I also ask for a maintenance loan? I've been working in UK for almost an year now and I applied for courses starting in 2017/2018.
How and when do I have to apply for a maintenance loan ?
In addition, will loans cover all the duration of the courses ?
Thank you

You would need to be resident in the UK for 5 years to be eligible for a maintenance loan.
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-6188 explains the categories of students who are eligible for a maintenance loan
Original post by brucewillis0
I am a student from Greece now studying in Wales (University of Wales Trinity Saint David's), and am in my first year of Environment and Energy Engineering.

Before coming here, I managed to get a scholarship to another University in the USA, and was there for two years before leaving (without a degree) because I found I disliked the liberal arts educational system.

Until now, I was under the impression (and everything I read verified this) that through Student Finance Wales and the Student Loan Company I would be eligible for a tuition fee grant of 5,100 pounds (would not have to pay back) and could take out a loan of 3,900 pounds (would have to pay back) to cover the total uni fees of 9,000 pounds. This would be the case for the duration of an undergraduate degree.

Yesterday I received a letter, saying that I am eligible to receive student finance for the number of years of my course (3) plus one additional year (3+1=4 years of possible finance). However, they said that because I have already completed two years in the USA towards an undergraduate degree, I am only eligible for student finance for two years (4 - 2=2). Even though my previous studies are completely unrelated to my current area of study, and I cannot transfer credits, and must start again from the beginning, I cannot take out a student loan, or get the grant, meaning I have to pay the full fees of 9000 pounds upfront for one of the years at Uni.

To make it worse, the year I would have to pay for is the first year of my studies (ie by this summer), and not my final year. If it were my final year, I could have saved 9000 pounds from the part time job I have and possible summer internships or jobs.

Does anyone know of any hardship funds or possible solutions to get funding for my first year? I currently have a part time job and work just under 30hr/week, and don't think I could handle much more. I have some money saved, and my parents are willing to provide some of the money, but my finances are tight at the moment.

Hi BruceWillis0

We do calculate any years you have previously studied from your funding entitlement. I would advise you to speak with the student advisers at your university to see if there are any other funding options available.
Thanks
Original post by ChocolateDreams
I am classed as an EU fee student, my mother is an EU national and works over 16 hours a week but has a annual income that is under £20,000. I have resided in England for almost seven years now and have never left the country since entering it. I will be studying Adult nursing in London (KCL) and I'm wondering if I'll be entitled to the full maintenance loan?

Hi ChocolateDreams

If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more you can apply as a home student for tuition fees and maintenance loan. We will ask you to send 5 years of evidence to show this such as payslips, P60's, school letters/certificates ect.
Thanks
Thanks for your questions!

Latest

Trending

Trending